Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #365

Lots of opinions on this topic, some I agree with - others I don't; but hey isn't THAT one of the things that makes America great?

I will say this, I disagree with the premise of the thread, "Is Wal-Mart killing America"

America is down but not out - the country has been through worse and recovered and we will in the future as well. In my personal opinion any company that supplies jobs and services that are in demand is a good thing.

Just my .75 cents (adjusted for inflation)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #366

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would guess that most who work in a walmart store itself do so knowing that it is not a highly skilled position thus not demanding nor expecting $20.00 dollars an hour, On the other hand their company drivers are in a skilled position and get paid accordingly 50k for part time up to 106k plus per year for fulltime. Same with the distribution center workers, they earn competitive wages with other company's in the area union or non union.Sam Walton saw a golden opportunity and seized upon it. As far as outsourcing goes that is the government making laws and allowing it to happen.JMO
Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #367

The problem with protectionism and isolationism is that it's contagious.

Like it or not from a financial point of view the world is no longer a bunch of individual countries, it is one giant economy.

Impose duties and someone does the same on something else, it 's a downward spiral that nobody 'wins'.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u
The problem with protectionism and isolationism is that it's contagious.

Like it or not from a financial point of view the world is no longer a bunch of individual countries, it is one giant economy.

Impose duties and someone does the same on something else, it 's a downward spiral that nobody 'wins'.
But that assumes we are on a level playing field.
Not posted:
Coal plant comparison
National monetary exchange rates
Average yearly salaries
Law enforcement responses
Rare earth exports
Read it after I typed it then deleted for all's sake replaced with Not posted.
Another I need to unsubscribe... have fun
Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke

But that assumes we are on a level playing field.
No, not at all.

Read up a little on the US / Canada softwood lumber dispute.

It's been going on for 20 years now.

If that doesn't work for you read up on the issue of prescription meds. American pharmaceutical companies sell their wares cheaper out of Canada than they do at home. This started retaliation. Why? Beats me? Most of them are European owned regardless. LOL
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #370

Freightliner Owners Club
Lets all be Honest Wal Mart is not killing America the Goverment is!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #371

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
No, not at all.

Read up a little on the US / Canada softwood lumber dispute.

It's been going on for 20 years now.

If that doesn't work for you read up on the issue of prescription meds. American pharmaceutical companies sell their wares cheaper out of Canada than they do at home. This started retaliation. Why? Beats me? Most of them are European owned regardless. LOL
Thank your trial lawyers for the med. prices. If you buy your meds from Canada, You can't sue the company in america.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #372

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
Lets all be Honest Wal Mart is not killing America the Goverment is!
Sorry, but I have to disagree. America is not dying. I see great things. Government is not killing America. The government built the Interstates, funds the military, provides Federal Parks for recreation, clean water, bridges, schools, the list goes on and on. Naturally I do not agree with all government expenditures. No need to list them. But I agree with a lot of governemnt spending, and hopefully the things I disagree with are benefitting others, so I just go along with it. Am I thrilled when the lady in front of me at the grocery pays with her food stamp card. I hate supporting her. But what do we do with the poor? Cut off their food stamps, have them steal or rob us, and put them in jail? We will still be supporting them, plus hiring guards to watch them. Maybe food stamps are cheaper in the long run. I don't know. I do know I would rather be me than her. If I see someone with a 40 ft motor home using food stamps, then I'll complain (or drive to the nearest food stamp office - just kidding). For all its ills, the USA is still a wonderful, vibrant, growing country. It just is.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #373

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwhit
Well you are using 2 of the most liberal sources on the market today! Not trying to get too political-But show me any liberal that is PROUD of America. Myself I believe in GOD and GUNS--God BLESS AMERICA!!!
My daddy was a union president and a vet of ww2 and Korea. I am also a veteran. Blanket statements like yours only serve to divide us as a nation. Yea, I consider myself a LIBERAL. It is a badge of honor to me. I love and am proud of this great nation. Not trying to get TOO political? You equated being " liberal" with being( not proud, ashamed?) of America. There are plenty of forums for that kind of hate speech. I'm here to share and learn about this great RVing lifestyle, not to listen to crap I thought was not part of this site. And yes sir, as a former LEO, I too love my guns and also an NRA member. Have an interesting life.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #374

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having watched the various documentaries on Walmart over the years, both pro and con, seeing various branches of chain grocery stores close and others open and trying to follow the 370 plus responses and opinions to this thread over an eight month period, I think it still falls into the category of a "definite maybe".
Old 10-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #375
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, the government, political, liberal, conservative and personal comments have to stop.

iRV2's rules don't permit it.

Subsequent posts of that nature will be removed.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #376

Thanks

Thank you Mr. Moderator for doing your best to keep politics out. Some very good posts here and I appreciate the opportunity to discuss this in a civilized manner.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #377
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Folks, the government, political, liberal, conservative and personal comments have to stop.

iRV2's rules don't permit it.

Subsequent posts of that nature will be removed.

Thanks!
It is hard to keep the personal feelings under wrap. When I started the post I was hoping to start an intellectual dialog on the changing times. There are no right or wrong answers. I have my personal opinions, beliefs and moral expectations that are my internal struggles.

Unions have had positive and negative impacts. Perhaps I will elaborate more later.

Yes we are dealing with a global economy.

You get what you pay for. JMPO

The need for inexpensive products without impacting our manufactuing industry does creat a dichotomy we struggle with and there is no solution I envision.

The information age had promise but call centers can be moved to India and when companies battled to retain trained staff and cost rise they quickly moved to China.

It is good to discuss and also debate how the problems evolved, how we can mitigate, resolve, avoid, correct, live with. Etc... And the current state of the nation.

To this end I feel it is not persona, just a personal belief and our oppinions.

I never expected this thread to generate such passion, but I appreciate everyone's views. I have gained much from those I agree with as well as those I may not see eye to eye with.

Let's not close the tread just because we may disagree.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
It is hard to keep the personal feelings under wrap. When I started the post I was hoping to start an intellectual dialog on the changing times. There are no right or wrong answers. I have my personal opinions, beliefs and moral expectations that are my internal struggles.

Unions have had positive and negative impacts. Perhaps I will elaborate more later.

Yes we are dealing with a global economy.

You get what you pay for. JMPO

The need for inexpensive products without impacting our manufactuing industry does creat a dichotomy we struggle with and there is no solution I envision.

The information age had promise but call centers can be moved to India and when companies battled to retain trained staff and cost rise they quickly moved to China.

It is good to discuss and also debate how the problems evolved, how we can mitigate, resolve, avoid, correct, live with. Etc... And the current state of the nation.

To this end I feel it is not persona, just a personal belief and our oppinions.

I never expected this thread to generate such passion, but I appreciate everyone's views. I have gained much from those I agree with as well as those I may not see eye to eye with.

Let's not close the tread just because we may disagree.

Thank you all for your feedback.
Amen, TAZ,
I agree 100%. I personally appreciate everyone's views. We all have our own ideas and thoughts on who carries credibly and who we think is an idiot,... without stating so.
GWinger
Closed Thread