Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Real Property Tax Estimator

This is the same house if you don't live in it
Your residence is exempt from school district taxes??? Consider yourself blessed.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just move to FL. ? $350,000.00 home, $ 2500,00 county tax, be careful, county coupled with city double your rate. Coach, 300 K, $ 100.00 yearly, no income tax, no personal property tax, great roads, SUNSHINE, blue gulf waters! Nuf said! Of course JMPO, but well thought out!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #31

Quote:
I am in Lexington County and it is 4% on your home and 6% on any other home you own.My son lives in Lexington County but in the town of Springdale and his taxes are higher than mine so I guess it is a county thing not a state thing.I just don't understand why you pay so much more on a rental home or a second home Why does it matter how many homes you own?
Rodney,

As someone else stated, they give a break for your residence. This is to encourage the American Dream of home ownership. I believe this is typical in all states (at least it has been in the states I have lived in). Second homes are typically vacation homes, or perhaps rentals. Not something everyone enjoys, thus the higher taxes.

I'm still confused by the numbers in your original post. If your rates are 4% and 6%, it would seem the taxes on a second home would be 1.5 times or less than $2100. What am I missing?

Also, RV's are taxed under the vehicular personal property rates. If you can't claim it as a second home the taxes are REALLY bad. Mine is currently taxed at about 1.5 times what my pickup truck and Jeep are. And it's newer.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
Your residence is exempt from school district taxes??? Consider yourself blessed.
As a retired educator and by Ohio necessity rather versed in school finance, on average it takes 4 years of school taxes to cover one year of education. Thus a 12 or 13 year education takes 48 to 52 "taxable units" or 48-52 YEARS of property taxes to cover a child's education. If that sounds high, compare a year of education to a year in prison, an education is cheaper AND more productive!!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #33

OK, the reason it isn't just 1.5 times is the second home doesn't get the school tax credits. Your kids aren't going to two different schools, and renters don't get the credit.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Part of a property tax reduction program a few years ago. Vehicle taxes were increased to allow a tax credit for your primary home.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
As a retired educator and by Ohio necessity rather versed in school finance, on average it takes 4 years of school taxes to cover one year of education. Thus a 12 or 13 year education takes 48 to 52 "taxable units" or 48-52 YEARS of property taxes to cover a child's education. If that sounds high, compare a year of education to a year in prison, an education is cheaper AND more productive!!
I don't question the importance of school taxes but I do not have kids and am paying my "fair" share of property taxes including school tax.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I don't question the importance of school taxes but I do not have kids and am paying my "fair" share of property taxes including school tax.
In the district I worked in, the community only had 4 out of 10 homes with children. The other 6 homes still paid school taxes and helped cover the 4 for 1 tuition rate for the district. I'm not sick this month, and haven't had an auto accident or claim on my house for 30 years. Should I not pay for medical, home, or auto insurance? 'Fair' is not the issue, economics and living in a complex society is.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
BFlinn181 - I think it best to agree to disagree as I don't agree with your reasoning. Nothin personal.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
California considers a RV to be a vehicle and not a house. And you pay heavy vehicle registration fees for a license plate. You also pay fees annually (non op) if your RV is parked on private property and never travels on the state roads. And you pay to ride a dirt bike or other ORV off road. CA politicians think of many ways to impose fees on everyone including the senior working class and retired.
That is why others like me have changed our residency to friendlier states like SD, TX and FL.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #39

I was just venting when I posted this Please don't get upset with me I just don't understand why you are being punished for having a RV or a rental home.
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I was just venting when I posted this Please don't get upset with me I just don't understand why you are being punished for having a RV or a rental home.
I don't think anyone is getting upset here. But I do think you are getting a big break on taxes for your primary residence that I personally can't get here in PA. I would only suggest that you feel better about that tax break.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Each state has their own way of generating revenue. For some, like NY it is property taxes and income taxes. Some use personal property taxes and licensing fees and others rely on sales taxes. People demand services and someone has to pay for those services. That's not pretty but it is a fact of life.

The fairest form of taxation is the one that many on here complain about because it's one that hits them. That fair tax is the toll road. You use it so you pay for it. You don't want to pay for it so don't use it.
I see this "People demand services" statement all the time. Really! Then why isn't there a check box system on the tax forms for where we want ALL our tax dollars to go?
keepmovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepmovin View Post
I see this "People demand services" statement all the time. Really! Then why isn't there a check box system on the tax forms for where we want ALL our tax dollars to go?
Because many small-minded, short-sighted people would only check boxes that only directly affect THEM and not look out for the nation as a whole. Kentucky might not approve of the Navy, since they are a land-locked state. Virginia would since they have sea coast and have a number of Navy bases. That is a simple explanation, but any more in depth and I'd be 'dinged' for being political!!

Bob & Donna