Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181

Because many small-minded, short-sighted people would only check boxes that only directly affect THEM and not look out for the nation as a whole. Kentucky might not approve of the Navy, since they are a land-locked state. Virginia would since they have sea coast and have a number of Navy bases. That is a simple explanation, but any more in depth and I'd be 'dinged' for being political!!
You are correct but didn't go far enough. Some would not fund police or fire departments, others would not want trash service and burn it their back yard, or their water purified, or street lights, or drainage systems in their neighborhood. There are some who would not check boxes that are clearly for the common good. To them there is no common good and someone else sgould pay for everything. Yet If we think back just a bit, the threat of Polio was in the water just outside your front door. Malaria could be at your favorite fishing hole.

Not every collection - tax or fee - is justified or properly used. I think you and I just happen to believe there is more right than wrong with the way things are done most places, most of the time. And voting can be done at the ballot box and with your feet.

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
How did we go from local property taxes to federal taxes? The two are altogether different. We live in a federal system with two different sovereigns: the state and the federal gov't. Each has their own taxation that is governed by the U.S. Constitution. States give taxing authority to local governments because there are special needs for each locality and each locality determines what is important and where tax dollars need to go. You cannot throw some general statement at what is important because it simply does not work that way.

MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #45

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
How did we go from local property taxes to federal taxes? The two are altogether different. We live in a federal system with two different sovereigns: the state and the federal gov't. Each has their own taxation that is governed by the U.S. Constitution. States give taxing authority to local governments because there are special needs for each locality and each locality determines what is important and where tax dollars need to go. You cannot throw some general statement at what is important because it simply does not work that way.
I used the Navy as a simple illustration. For you, I'll go local. Someone who can't walk and is illiterate might see no reason to support libraries or sidewalks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #46

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I used the Navy as a simple illustration. For you, I'll go local. Someone who can't walk and is illiterate might see no reason to support libraries or sidewalks.
And that my friend is an individual's choice, the power of the ballot box will determine whether sidewalks and libraries are funded.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
And that my friend is an individual's choice, the power of the ballot box will determine whether sidewalks and libraries are funded.
Exactly and why we have elections to elect those folks that make the decisions for the betterment of the community.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
Sounds like you should get a mailbox in FL and register your MH here.
Do that and you might end up with a third place to live, if you catch my drift...
Old 03-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Property Taxes in South Carolina is a joke
If you live in a home that is valued at $175,000
You pay $1383.00 in taxes per year
If this is your second home you pay $5531.00 per year
If you make it a office or commercial it is $9241.00 per year
A motorhome counts as a second home so a RV valued at $175,000 you will pay
$5531.00 in taxes This is one reason that I have not got my diesel yet.
How can they charge you more for a rental home or a second home?
That is not correct throughout SC. In Aiken County a motor home is a vehicle and property tax paid that way. Of course it is still too much and the entire concept of paying a tax every year on something you own does not make sense to me. Fuel tax to pay for roads, fine. Property tax just because I own something is just another form of wealth redistribution.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #50

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The MSRP on my motor home and the last appreasal of my Sticks and bricks (Which I no longer have) are so close as to be called Identical

Michigan: I paid over 3,000 a year in State and local property taxes on the S&B, on the MH, Registeration renewal is, per the US government, a Property tax (Well argued when MI changed from a weight based user's fee some years ago, Won't be re-argued by me). I pay $382/year.

I can tell you the difference, pays for all my campground fees with money left over for gas.. Oh, and I paid around 250 for water, sewer, electric and natural gas. v/s water/sewer/electric included in campign fees and less than 300/year for gas (usually 120-200).
Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
If you pay tax on a MH as a "second home", can you also
write off the interest on financing?

I understand in the USA you write off the interest on a
home purchase. Is this nation wide or just some states??
Old 03-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
If you pay tax on a MH as a "second home", can you also write off the interest on financing? I understand in the USA you write off the interest on a home purchase. Is this nation wide or just some states??
The mortgage deduction is for federal tax purposes and I think is limited based on income level but I could be wrong. Individual states may treat it differently.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
The mortgage deduction is for federal tax purposes and I think is limited based on income level but I could be wrong. Individual states may treat it differently.

The deduction for second home mortgage interest is not income limited, but is principal limited. Specifically the principal for the mortgage must be $1 million or less. Also you have to have enough in deductions to itemize. The deduction is taken on Schedule A on line 11. Don't put it on the mortgage interest line or you'll stand a good chance of getting a love letter from your friendly IRS.

Each state is different as to what it allows or doesn't allow for itemized deductions. Some states allow the deduction for second home interest and some do not allow any deductions and others are between those two extremes. Just depends on where you are filing.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
I bought 18 ac in the boonies in the early 90's and built a house. I'm no longer in the boonies and some celebrities have decided they like the area. I paid 8200 last year, about 75% is school tax. It's almost guaranteed of about a 10% jump each year until one of us turns 65 in 3 years.

In 2011, the Texas legislature passed a law that allows for an agricultural exemption on properties between 6-20 ac, for keeping honey bees. I'm in my 4th year, and hopefully will get the exemption in the 6th year. If not, I'm afraid I will be forced to sell out.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #55

well I live in ct and home value is 230,000. small town,, taxs -4600 my future wife lives in colonia ,NJ ,house 315,000. taxs 11,000. still trying to get my head around that number
Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #56

Freightliner Owners Club
AZ we just pay taxes on home , RV we just pay license tag fee.

IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote