Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #57
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Property Taxes in South Carolina is a joke
1 If you live in a home that is valued at $175,000
You pay $1383.00 in taxes per year

2 If this is your second home you pay $5531.00 per year
3 If you make it a office or commercial it is $9241.00 per year
4 A motorhome counts as a second home so a RV valued at $175,000 you will pay $5531.00 in taxes This is one reason that I have not got my diesel yet.
5 How can they charge you more for a rental home or a second home?
1 My state is exaclty like that.
2 ?? I don't know, I have No 2nd home. I do think Its time those that can have the luxury of a extra house pay their own way.
3 office or commercial mean you can write it off, correct?
4 I know a man (dead now) who while living in Ohio bought a $88k motorhome in SC 12 years ago because there was no sales tax on them?
I'm not sure if that is still true.?
5 Rental = business, Second home = Luxury

only thing I wouldn't like is #4.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #58

Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
PA does not consider an RV to be a "house", it is a vehicle that you pay DMV registration fees on. No property tax.
Same for New Jersey.

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #59
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Property Taxes in South Carolina is a joke
If you live in a home that is valued at $175,000
You pay $1383.00 in taxes per year
If this is your second home you pay $5531.00 per year
If you make it a office or commercial it is $9241.00 per year
A motorhome counts as a second home so a RV valued at $175,000 you will pay
$5531.00 in taxes This is one reason that I have not got my diesel yet.
How can they charge you more for a rental home or a second home?
Maryland property tax is higher. We didn't see any decline in property tax when the Iraq war caused a major recession here. We lost close to a third of our homes value but didn't get a reduction in property taxes.

Our roads and bridges are crumbling. The state smells (literally) like burned rubber. You won't notice it after a few days.

A 2 mile ride in an ambulance if nearly $500. The indigents on motorcycles with traumatic brain damage require 2 years and more of care often costing from $2 to $7 MILLION dollars which the taxpayers pay for through their group insurance rates. At least their brain injuries are reduced by 40% due to the requirement to wear REAL crash helmets. Most group insurance stops at $2 Million and so Maryland Hospitals will bankrupt families at a high rate (the ACA has stopped some of this).

Maryland is very high overall in tax, but:

Diesel here is 20 to 35 cents cheaper per gallon than in PA and many of the states between here and Iowa. MD does not tax RVs other than registration and sales tax (6%). Most of MD will not allow you to park your RV at home. Neither does West Virginia.

Many counties in Virginia charge property tax on RVs. The ones I checked on would cost me more than $5500 a year (Prince William apparently does not) in personal property tax.

Forty seven percent of the people living in Maryland want to get the Hell out of it. Stupid gun laws, cost of living, a general attitude of "entitlement," Urban culture (a non sequitur), and crime are the reasons with Crime being no. 1 on the list.

The shoppin here is disgusting as well. If you shop for quality, fashion, variety, or value, you won't find it here. We shop mostly in PA (no tax on clothes) and DE (no sales or income taxes).

Maryland does have several very large parking lots. They are labeled Interstates 95, 295, 495, 695 etc. Otherwise parking for a couple of hours in Baltimore could cost up to $25.
Phyllis & Stephen - 2014 Itasca
Navion IQ, Bel Air, Maryland.
elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #60
Our little S and B was $135 last year
Don and Mary
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #61
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Now that we're full time we'll spend time in several different states in any given year. We own RV lots in two of them, one of them is in Rodney's home state of SC.

The individual that pointed out that each city/county sets it's own tax rates is correct, but here we're also in the "wrong" school district, almost doubling our property tax when the new high school in our district was opened a few years ago.

Our property taxes started out at below $900 per year, that was 2009. The next year they jumped to just under $1300 (and have since risen to over $1500) and when I called the assessor and asked why, it was because we were in school district 59 - they're trying to pay off the new high school. A few points on that. One, we owned no property here until just before retirement, we've never had school age children attend any school in SC (or any state, for that matter, not having been blessed with children). Two, as I asked the county assessor, "how do you expect to encourage growth and prosperity in your county when one building can have such a significant effect on taxes? If I were looking to buy or build a new home in the area, I'd simply go a couple of miles down the road and end up in a different county, "depriving" you of any revenue" (and from the new construction I see all around the lake, all of it in one of the other two counties that border it, it seems others feel the same).

Just prior to our retirement I called the assessor to ask for an estimate of what the property taxes would be on our then 35' gas motorhome an Jeep Wrangler, should we decide to make SC our legal domicile. The answer was almost $2k. I can't even imagine what it would be on our current motorhome. This is killing not only growth in the county where you are, but jobs and revenue within the RV industry as a whole within the state.

Obviously we chose to establish our legal domicile in one of the other states we frequent (SD, in our case). You will see FL plates and registration numbers on both boats and RVs around the lake (our 24' pontoon boat and motor, registered here as this is the only place we will ever use it, and store it, cost us over $800 in property taxes last year)

I understand the argument for property taxes, but out of control taxation encourages the citizenship to seek alternatives ultimately resulting in the exact opposite of what the governing agency was trying to accomplish.

Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote