Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #15

If you can count your RV as a second home (meaning you don't have a sticks n bricks second home), you can get the lower tax rate on your RV.

There is also a discount on being over 65.

It's also calculated on value. So if you want to pay less tax, keep that in mind when setting your budget for your new RV.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
BFlinn181 - the graph you show only says what percentage of taxation/fees goes into total revenue for the state. It doesn't show how much revenue is actually generated.

Just sayin'
I know it didn't show actual amounts each state collected, (7 years ago) but it does tend to show that low rates in one category is balanced by a high rate in another. Oregon depends on little to no sales tax, but much more emphasis on income tax. Washington depends on sales tax and has no income tax.
You can tell a politician is lying when they open their mouth. If they promise to lower taxes, hold on to your britches, they're about to jump rates on licenses, permits, and fees. Net result, the gov'mt gets their income, no matter what it's called, property, sales, income taxes; licenses, permits, user fees, etc. TANSTAAFL There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #17

Goes to show it matters where you retire to.. We are picking between SD and WY.
rvsclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #18

The taxes on your first home seem cheap to me in FL. My house is valued at 215,000 and I pay $5300 a year in property taxes but there is no income tax and my MH is registered as a vehicle. No taxes just a tag renewal each year of about $80. Sounds like you should get a mailbox in FL and register your MH here.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsclark View Post
Goes to show it matters where you retire to.. We are picking between SD and WY.
If under 65 and or depending what is done regarding insurance, or supplemental plans, that is now another factor in determining location.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #20

I am only 53 so I have 12 years before I can get Homestead That will only help on the home you live in.I am thinking about buying a lot in Florida and get a tag for my RV there.My question is why do you pay more for a second home I think that is discrimination all real estate should be the same price no matter how many homes you own.
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Rodneykrantz - I'm confused about how property is taxed in SC. Here in PA I pay local property tax that is calculated through an assessment and each locality has their own tax rate. Property assessment takes into account the land and any improvements (house, barn, etc.)

The state is not involved in collecting property taxes. So if I have a second house in a different county I would be subject to that county's tax only and there is no consideration as to how many properties I own. There is a homestead exemption for your first residence that varies by county and a tax rebate program for seniors.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
I am only 53 so I have 12 years before I can get Homestead That will only help on the home you live in.I am thinking about buying a lot in Florida and get a tag for my RV there.My question is why do you pay more for a second home I think that is discrimination all real estate should be the same price no matter how many homes you own.
You might look at it as they are giving you a tax break on the first house and only going hard at your second, holiday, house. I do think it's a bit rough counting an RV as a second house though. Do they tax boats the same way?

Be very careful about using a lot in Florida as a registration. If you park the RV in SC for any period of time with FL plates, they may come after you. They do in Massachusetts and New York I know.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #23

SC will give you a reduced tax rate on your primary residence. You have to apply for the exemption and I believe you have to declare that it is your primary residence. It is your homestead and this helps promote home ownership. Houses 2-N are taxed at a higher rate which makes sense to me as these are either vacation homes ( a luxury), rentals ( a business), or an investment. Rodney, I have no issue with your statement about all property should be handled the same. But I suspect we would differ on the solution. Eliminate homestead exemption and eliminate mortgage deductions altogether. I also believe SC needs to eliminate the $300 cap on sales tax on vehicles. It makes no sense for sales tax on a used $6,000 beat up truck to be the same as a million dollar RV, boat, airplane.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Property Taxes in South Carolina is a joke If you live in a home that is valued at $175,000 You pay $1383.00 in taxes per year If this is your second home you pay $5531.00 per year If you make it a office or commercial it is $9241.00 per year A motorhome counts as a second home so a RV valued at $175,000 you will pay $5531.00 in taxes This is one reason that I have not got my diesel yet. How can they charge you more for a rental home or a second home?
Rodney,

I'm more than a little skeptical in regard to your figures. While I live in Greenville County rather than where you do in West Columbia, and I know the individual counties have very different rates, I would be surprised if they are THAT different. My house is appraised at around $340000, and I paid a little over $2800 in taxes last year. The rate in Greenville is 4% of assessed valuation if the home is owner occupied, and 6% if not. Additionally, the homeowners exemption (owner occupied) is limited to 5 acres. Anything over is at the 6% rate (I live on 11 acres, so I pay at 6% for the additional 6 acres). A second home would be at the 6% rate, so if valued the same it would be 1.5 times an owner occupied (as compared to the more than triple you show for your example). I believe a motorhome is taxed at 6.5% if it qualifies as a second home (10% if a standard vehicle). If you transfer tags from an older RV to a newer one, as I did last year, you can save significantly. Taxes on a new to you purchase are typically frozen for the first three years, and then depreciated value reduces them each year. Taxes on my previous coach had dropped to just over $800 in 2012. I transferred my tags to my "new" coach last summer, and paid about the same 3 months ago (on a coach I paid $350,000 for). My numbers are based on my experiences over the last fifteen years of motorhome ownership in Greenville County. I realize the tax rates vary, but Greenville is one of the higher in the state. Bottom line is that you can't make such a broad statement as you have, and point to the entire state. I would suggest that anyone looking at South Carolina for retirement may want to check rates and valuation methods for counties they are interested in. It is also worth pointing out that South Carolina has a maximum vehicle sales tax of $300. That is something I really appreciated last year.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Property Taxes in South Carolina is a joke
If you live in a home that is valued at $175,000
You pay $1383.00 in taxes per year
If this is your second home you pay $5531.00 per year
If you make it a office or commercial it is $9241.00 per year
A motorhome counts as a second home so a RV valued at $175,000 you will pay
$5531.00 in taxes This is one reason that I have not got my diesel yet.
How can they charge you more for a rental home or a second home?
I live in Ga. Bought a 2013 tag in May of last year. Ga recently changed their advalorum tax to capture private party sales at time of title and tag transfer. I paid 7.5% sales tax last year when I picked up the 1st tag. All subsequent tags are gust $20 per year.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #26

I am in Lexington County and it is 4% on your home and 6% on any other home
you own.My son lives in Lexington County but in the town of Springdale and his taxes are higher than mine so I guess it is a county thing not a state thing.I just don't understand why you pay so much more on a rental home or a second home
Why does it matter how many homes you own?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #27

Real Property Tax Estimator
Old 03-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #28

Real Property Tax Estimator

This is the same house if you don't live in it