Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iT COULD BE WORSER

You guys aint gonna believe this but it is every bit true.....

Almost four weeks ago I took my coach up to my friendly mechanic because that little ''check engine lite'' was lit up on the dash.

He messed with the coach checking everything he could find and calling Ford with various 'codes'' that kept popping up on his ''testing thingie''.... He called me and said the best he could figure the ECM.. (engine control module) was gone bad and we needed another one. I got on the computer and finally found a company that re built and fixed these ECM units. I called them and explained the problem and they said ''no sweat'' just mail it to them and they would ''turn it around'' in 24 to 48 hours good as new for the paultry price of 250 dollars. I sent them the ECM and they turned it around in four days. My mechanic put it in the coach and the coach still did not shift right. After much testing and several calls back to the company they determined that my ECM had a bad circuit board and could not be fixed and they would send me a new rebuilt unit for the paultry sum of 400 dollars and they would get it to me in three days.
Three weeks later I got the part just after David went on fourth of July vacation. I said shux.....

While he was on vacation I brought the coach back home to do a little maintenance and wait for the part and for David to come back from having fun. I turned on the refrigerator to cool the beer and the flamin' thing would not COOL. I had turned it off while the coach was up at the garage because it could not be plugged in.

After much research and a lot of ''fumbling'' and three calls to service tech. We determined that the ''cooling coil'' had died in my 11 year old refer...... I said shux again.

I determined to order a completely new unit built by the Amish for the paltry sum of 950 plus 150 shipping plus 50 dollars for a fan and a temp probe thingie.

About seven days ago Willa informed me that house AC was not working. I called a repair man and he finally got here and told me that the ''pump'' had gone bad in the house AC. A new one installed would only be 1100 dollars.
I said shux again.....

Last Saturday Willa went to the mail box and brought good news.
She opened our mail and told me that we had gotten a tax bill from Granite Falls on our property here in Granite. 1100 dollars and that does not include vehicles, just the house and contents.

Here is where we stand as of today, Tuesday, July 12, 2011.....
1100 dollars for taxes
1000 dollars for the refer. Coil thingie
1000 for the house AC pump thingie
600 plus or minus for David the mechanic and the price of the ECM unit.

One more thing. I was in the computer room and Willa asked that I come to the living room. Our big screen TV only had black and white and no sound. I said shux real loud. We were luckey on this as it seemed like a low signal strength and it is now ok. I said thank you...

As of now we have stopped answering the phone and going to the mail box and we are picking up cans and bottles on the side of the road and I will be looking to you guys for all them dimes you owe me for advise given on stuff that I know little about.....

think about this …..IT COULD BE WORSER.......

God bless our troops and keep them safe …...
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems to be a fun time for all who live in that wallet Seajay... I tried puttin a lock on mine but I cut myself a lot tryin to get it open now so I can pay for the Bourbon and Ice and other necessities that go along with the RV Lifestyle.

Just a simple engine replacement is now in the $17,000.00 pothole and just as well I throw the money there as on wastin it on electricity and cell phones. Besides all that extra cash just weighs me down anyhoooooooooo

I do NOT suffer from mental illness, but rather enjoy it daily !
Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #3

Seejay- David sounds like a bargain. Things could certainly be worser. Maybe no cans or bottles to pick up next week? That'd be worser.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #4

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. It seems like everything I own is broke and needs fixing or replacing. You have a string of bad going on there. Did you call a priest? I feel for ya but it could be much worser... it could have been me!

I just went through a catch 22 where they fixed my dash air ($780) and my alt. quit working. Went to another shop to get that fixed ($690) and then my air didn't work. Back to the air garage ($280) and the alt quit..... Back to the Alt. shop... Seems the Air compressor was wired wrong. It never ends....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was getting ready to head to storage to fire up the generator and do my routine check of MH systems. I'm afraid too now-----?????

Maybe I should just look for bottles and cans on the way there-------
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Folks... Reading that story reminds me of Morton Salt.

It never rains, but it pours.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Just went through the RV refrigerator replacement. I the process of dragging the underneath AC unit out of it to have a friend that does HVAC work take a look at it. The driveway gets a top coat any day now for $2K. Tax bill is next month as is car, RV and house insurance.

Could be worse, could be raining.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
This makes me feel much better. Now I know that I am not the only SWEET OLD BOY that has a little problem now and again.

I forgot to mention in this post that we thought Willa had a torn retna but it was just ''old age'' and I posted about the lump in her right breast that scared the crap out of us. It is just a ''calcification'' and nothing to worry about..

Shall we all cry together????
God bless our troops
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Harley has an oil leak.
Jeep has an oil leak (the main seal needs replaced).
Now there's an oil leak on the Cummins. Will be going into Cummins Bridgeway in Grand Rapids ,MI on Thursday for this one.

Seajay, I'll be interested to see if the replacement ECM does the trick. I have a mechanic friend who states that most of the ECM problems are actually something else and the ECM is just responding to bad input data. So I'm interested to see how your situation works out.

Everybody dig deep, we are not done yet...
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Well, Seajay.....My wife got a screw in the left rear tire of her 2009 Highlander next to the sidewall. Because the car has this full time 4X4, traction control, and anti-lock brakes, it wasn't a good idea to install just one, 19 inch tire. $1200 gone.....

I've had knee surgery, so I couldn't do the oil change and diff services on my truck as I usually do....so.....$200 gone.

The black water valve on the RV sticks, and it's the cable type. So, that's in the shop. And, my wife said it would really be nice to have a power vent in the bed room!!! Yes dear...anything you want dear

Ahhh, yes, it never ends.....
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
GPW

The toe strap broke on my flip flop ... looking for a replacement , and now find I have to buy TWO at a time .... What's the world coming to ???
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Seajay;901433]

You guys aint gonna believe this but it is every bit true.....

Eight years ago; wifes back went out; no trip that summer.
Seven years ago wifes shoulder went out; no trip that summer.
\Six years ago wifes hip went out (hip replacement) no trip that summer.
Five years ago, other hip went out (another hip replacement).
Four years ago, broke hip, no trip that summer.
Three years ago broke hip again, no trip that summer.
Two years ago finaly left for summer trip, got 250 miles from home; got broadsided $16,000 damage, no trip that summer.
One year ago waited all summer to have motorhome repaired, no trip last summer.
This year, wife broke hip again, thats the reason I'm setting here typing this post.

If all your having is mechical problems, please conseder your self lucky; I'll trade yours for mine any day.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
Harley has an oil leak.
Harley has an oil leak? Man, that's redundant.....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I whined because I had no new shoes...
Then I met a Veteran without feet !

I sat in Oak Knoll Naval Hospital all burned crispy, blind, no usable hands, large softball sized hole in my neck and a near matching twin on my left forehead, and I was feeling really down and blue.
They roomed me with other NamVets coming back without limbs at all and in near fatal condition and for over 2 weeks I watched every last one of my "roomies" expire overnight. Some with just one large final outbreath, some quietly, many reciting the Lord's Prayer and some questioning "why me"...

Every morning at 0545, Nurse Cratchet, aka Lt Murphy RN, forced me outta my bed, made me change sheets and pillow cases and "tidy up". That may sound like no big task, but try it sometime without looking and with tennis rackets strapped to your hands, and skin that bleeds at the mere mention of movement. I soon came to realize we are all here for undisclosed reasons, for indeterminate time periods, and we are what we make of us... nothing more, nothing less.

Now everyday I Thank the Lord for keeping me here, even for the suffering and pain I endure, as one of our own here on IRV2 states "I do all my own stunts" and I have to suffer the natural consequences of each one. We live in the greatest country on earth, have freedoms noone else on earth can even imagine, enjoy wealth and health other countries envy, and after all that I find it hard to whine much anymore.

My son is retiring from USAF after 24 years and 12 trips to the desert, my daughter and husband are doing well and soon may open a second french resturant, I have 2 wonderful grandchildren, and even my 85 yr old Father is still here and able to join me on frequent flyfishing jaunts... all that and to think back in 68 I was wishing maybe I wouldn't awaken the next morning just so the pain would stop.

Be safe, enjoy the open road, Thank a Veteral for our great freedoms.