Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-01-2007, 07:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ricere:

Great post. You have quite an impressive resume!

Challenge #2. Energy Independence.

We have been buying too much middle east oil. NONE of the politicians will discuss the real solution to this problem.

Solution: WE NEED TO DRILL FOR MORE OIL HERE IN THE USA AND BUILD MORE REFINERIES HERE! This is not rocket science. We have the technology to do this safely and environmentally friendly. Why we are not doing this at a lightning pace just doesn't make sense to me. Alternative fuels? In the future, maybe, but we have enough oil here to sustain us for several generations, so why not develop that resource fully first?

Ronnie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since the largest suppliers of oil to the U.S are Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela, I think we'd be better off with ensuring the oil companies do more in the way of refinery capacity as well as making it a national priority to develop alternative fuel sources.
Oil Sources

Everybody talks a good game until it's time to locate something in their backyard. How many windmill farms have been killed because they interrupt the view? What's wrong with nuclear? How about coal gassification?

Just my thoughts.

KC9NPT (Merrill)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
There is no doubt that economically the US is number one. The economy of California alone is greater than many industrial countries. Most of us enjoy a high standard of living.

However, in my opinion there is a storm on the horizon.

Education, we've all heard how far behind our children are in Math and Science. The US is loosing ground when it comes to education. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in838207.shtml

In terms of effectiveness of education we rank 18 out of 24 developed nations. http://kapio.kcc.hawaii.edu/upload/fullnews.php?id=52

Whose fault is this? It's not for lack of spending as most school districts spend between $7,000 to $12,000 or more per child! I bet this is not true for homeschoolers or kids that go to schools of choice or poor kids who are allowed vouchers for schools of choice. Why aren't parents actively doing something? Why do voters continue to vote millages for failing schools? When they do how accountable do you think that school distrust has to be when all they have to do is ask for more money and they get it! What about the powerful teacher's union?

We are loosing our standing as the world leader in innovation. http://www.larta.org/lavox/articleli...4_techlead.asp

How can we lead the world when we don't educate our children?

Our kids are growing up in an entitlement world. We give them everything they could possible desire. Don't believe me go to a kid's birthday party sometime. What's going to happen when they grow up and find they have to pay back all of this money that we are borrowing. Ya at some point we are going to have to pay for all this deficient spending. They will pay the ultimate price for those tax breaks for the wealthy. At the same time there is no way they will ever be able to afford a house.

Who votes for entitlements??? Not every parent gives their kids everything they want. Although I agree that too many do and have lost control as parents. Ever watch Super Nanny?

They will pay the ultimate price for those tax breaks for the wealthy

Tax cuts helps puts more money in everyone pockets as it give more capitol for "the rich" and small business owner to create more jobs. More jobs create the "trickle down" effect.
of people with jobs spending for goods and services. More jobs, more people spending, good economy

In addition:
Before the Bush tax cuts, roughly 25 percent of working Americans on the low end of the earnings scale were exempted from paying income taxes.
This year, that percentage grows to 32 percent, according to the national Tax Foundation, largely because of the increased child credits and other breaks lower income earners were given in the Bush tax cut package.
Tax Foundation

...An 86 percent of the so-called "richest" 20 percent of taxpayers are married couples (63 percent are dual income), while just 14 percent of these higher income taxpayers are singles. Because so many of these dual-income working couples are in higher tax brackets, they naturally pay most of the income taxes today. Remarkably, married couples in the wealthiest quintile account for just 17 percent of all tax returns, but they pay a whopping 68 percent of all income taxes. Considering that tax burden, we should not be surprised that these "upper-income" married couples received 60 percent of the Bush tax cuts.

The Tax Foundation

Moreoverthe Tax Foundation Arizona Republic debunks "tax cuts for the rich"

BTW I think taxes are too high for everyone! Higher taxes enable big government spending that you lament.

We've spent $125 Billion dollars after Katrina and accomplished almost nothing. Non-competitive contracts to political contributors with no over sight boost the economy with massive spending but they done almost nothing for one of our major cities. We should all be hanging our heads in shame!

Shame? Please...can you name these, "Non-competitive contracts to political contributors?"

Btw, I agree about rebuilding New Orleans. The geographical location makes it a certainly for another future Katrina. Rebuilt inland and leave the occupation of the coast to shipping business and such
Plus it was and probably will continue to be a city rife with political corruption run for decades by Democrats who never did anything to help or legislate the majority of its citizens to get off welfare.

We are number One in spending for health care by a long ways. http://www.parapundit.com/archives/003217.html
Does it ever make you wonder why so many of us have medicine cabinets full of drugs? The problem is we are way down the list when it comes to getting what we pay for.

Ahh... I don't have a medicine cabinet full of drugs. ....from your source "Rising health care costs, already threatening many basic industries, now consume 16 percent of the nation's economic output -- the highest proportion ever, the government said yesterday in its latest calculation."

Why do you think health care costs have risen? Are we sicker than we were 25, 35, 45 years ago?
Could it be that when companies started adding health care benefits as an entitlement that health costs went up?
I remember when I was a kid, no one had paid medical and we managed to live a healthy life
We didn't run to the doctor with every sneeze or slight fever because we knew we would have to pay for it.
When demand goes up, so does costs.

It's easy to get a medicine cabinet full of drugs when you're not paying for them. But of course you really are by driving health care costs up and paying for it

I tend to believe that our work ethic was at one time second to none. In my opinion that is what built this country, vast natural resources and a strong work ethic. These days Americans don't do manual labor. Many American families are supported by women only while men play video games! We don't build our houses, even clean our houses, maintain our yards, or work to produce food. We rely on Mexicans for that.

These days Americans don't do manual labor
We don't build our houses, even clean our houses, maintain our yards, or work to produce food.

Where do live?
In some, sequester affluent gated community where no one does anything manual for himself or herself?
I mean really WHERE do you live? Do you only hire Mexicans to do all the tasks you just mentioned?
I do not even recognize this as the real world where I live
I see Americans, doing construction, building homes and business buildings, on roads crews, moving furniture, working farms, hauling wood and doing manual labor.
I clean my own house, do my own yard work, and one summer when I had lawn service the work wasn't done by Mexicans

It's true that our military and military spending is second to none in the world. However, that makes it hard to explain why after four years in Iraq we are still loosing in Iraq. This is a country that has survived years of economic isolation. Their military was no threat to us or anyone else for that matter. Yet with the most powerful military in the world we have yet to prevail. It is kind of hard to win a war when you don't know what it is that victory looks like or who the enemy is.

Their military was no threat to us or anyone else for that matter.

Your opinion and I do not agree.
If you think Saddam's Hussein intentions towards the US were benign then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you!

It is kind of hard to win a war when you don't know what it is that victory looks like or who the enemy is.

Oh, we know what victory looks like it just that the military has become so dangerously PC that it hinders it. Moreover, we know who the enemy is, maybe you do not. The enemy is true believers in Islam. How much do you know about it?

Our enemies want to kill us, behead us, and torture us because;
1. We are not Muslims
2. We are Americans

Are we clear? If not I am sure you can still find the beheading video of Daniel Pearl and other Americans.

You can see a list of American victims and others here murdered by fundamentalists Muslims here: american Memorial Site

Here is a list of Islamist terror attacks for just 3 MONTHS Religion of Peace

The biggest reason we are not winning is that PC has invaded our military. Our military is not allowed to wage the kind of war that wins! The method of winning does not change but policies for waging war do.

The kind of waged wars that wins is one that bring desolation to the enemy removing their will to fight resulting capitulation and the end of the war.
Generals Sherman & Grant knew this and that is how the Union won the war and kept the US from becoming two countries.

This may sound very cold and it is. But war is horrible General Sherman stated, "War is ****"

Never forget WE WERE ATTACKED and as General William T. Sherman succinctly states:
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."

What really brought WW2 to an end?

Dropping the Atom bomb ended the war because it inflicted damage that the enemy did not have the will to overcome.

Now I am NOT SUGGESTING anything like that that in a nuclear age but I use it as an example of the kind of fighting that wins and ends war.

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
General George S. Patton, Jr.

Did you see the network news report last night about the re-construction projects in Iraq. Of the 8 projects that the administration showcased 7 are complete disasters. We have spent $40 billion dollars giving non competitive contracts to political contributors with no over sight and gotten nothing in return.

To political contributors...
Who are?

"Network News," Of course you just will not believe that not everything you hear on the network news may be true or in fact could be slanted or just plain wrong!

Remember that the once credible Dan Rather ended his career in disgrace because he choose to run an untrue piece about President's Bush's military service? Why?
Because the network news is so, "fair and balanced?"

Although I would agree with goverment over spending in every area
But that is just the type of problem big government presents isn't it?
Big government, big taxes, big spending

In my opinion the problem with the US today is our arrogance. We have to start thinking before we act!

If we are Number 1 in the World how long can we possible keep that standing?

We can't if we can't defeat the "enemy within"

The "American" who see nothing but fault and calamity in his own country. Who blames his/her own country for all of the world's problems and then points to other lesser countries as some kind of example we should follow. The kind who whines yet somehow fails to be grateful for living in the most free and prosperous nation in the world. The kind who complains but never takes any action to help makes thing better. The kind who is ashamed of his/her country and his/her citizens because they are Americans

I think this article sum s it up nicely:

Made in the USA: Spoiled brats Worldnetdailey

Posted: November 20, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right? The same magazine that employs Michael (Qurans in the toilets at Gitmo) Isikoff. Here I promised myself this week I would be nice and I start off in this way. Oh what a mean man I am.

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3s of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.
So being the knuckle dragger I am, I starting thinking, ''What we are so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state? Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter? I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all involved. Whether you are rich or poor they treat your wounds and even, if necessary, send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home, you may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of having a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes; an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating?

Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me?

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media.

If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells.

Just ask why they are going to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book and do a TV special about how he didn't kill his wife but if he did ... insane!

Stop buying the negative venom you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage.

Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

I close with one of my favorite quotes from B.C. Forbes in 1953:

''What have Americans to be thankful for? More than any other people on the earth, we enjoy complete religious freedom, political freedom, social freedom. Our liberties are sacredly safeguarded by the Constitution of the United States, 'the most wonderful work ever struck off at a given time by the brain and purpose of man.' Yes, we Americans of today have been bequeathed a noble heritage. Let us pray that we may hand it down unsullied to our children and theirs.''

I suggest this Thanksgiving we sit back and count our blessings for all we have. If we don't, what we have will be taken away. Then we will have to explain to future generations why we squandered such blessing and abundance.

If we are not careful this generation will be known as the ''greediest and most ungrateful generation.'' A far cry from the proud Americans of the ''greatest generation'' who left us an untarnished legacy.

Joan & Emme
"Apackof2 for the Road"
Pure Michigan
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:03 AM   #17
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I agree. We need alternative solutions also but IIRC, we have more known oil reserves in the US than we have used so far. And more are being found daily.

There is a group with an agenda whose only focus is the destruction of this country and they are using any and all means available to do so.
Wretched excess is just barely enough.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
Right on, hamguy!
2006 KSDP 3909
Cummins ISL 350HP
2012 F150 Crew Cab Towed
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #19
Name one canidate for President who addressed
any of these issues in a "here is what I will do" answer. Cannot be found on either side. But
we keep electing them.
PaulTenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #20
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulTenFour:
Name one canidate for President who addressed
any of these issues in a "here is what I will do" answer. Cannot be found on either side. But
we keep electing them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO, it doesn't matter what politicians say. Watch what they do. They will often say one thing and do another. Investigate their voting records. Find out who is endorsing them. That will give you information on where they really stand.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote