Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #1

ITS OUR AMERICA!

apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #2

ITS OUR AMERICA!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey apackof 2,

I agree with you 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000%

We all need to speak up and get a law passed to make English the offical language !!!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #4

The fall of many strong nations can be attributed to the fact the people no longer have the will to defend their freedoms.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:12 AM   #5

In Europe to be successful in business you really need to be able to communicate in FOUR languages. If you only speak Spanish in Mexico and Central America and are not bilingual you will live in poverty. It's not quite as dramitic in the US but economic opportunities open up for people who are bilingual.

Our family, kids and grand kids are working to become fluent in Spanish. My daughter who is in the insurance business, makes twice as much money, simply because she can speak and understand at least some Spanish.

The English only issue, in my opinion, is just more political BS that will change nothing. However, what is changing is that your income opportunities will be limited if you are English only.

It's probably too late for most people on this board, but for our children the choice is clear. If you want to stay in the lower income levels you don't need to learn a second language.

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 04-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #6

Most of Europe can fit inside the United States so of course it make sense that they learn the lanuage of one another. England and Spain could fit in Texas. Texans don't have any problem speaking to one another

You seem to keep forgetting this isn't Europe,Mexico or Central America but the United States of America

And we didn't get to be the world's superpower by doing things the way they do in other countries.
We got that way by doing things the way Americans do things even with a "global economy"

And we aren't talking about the ability to speak or learn another lanuage, we are talking about in America, we speak English and those who live here should be able to speak English first and foremost. Speaking in other lanuages should be optional not a requirment to reach a certain dept. at J. C. Penny!

Also "When in Rome..."

However, what is changing is that your income opportunities will be limited if you are English only.

This is part of the bull puckey we are talking about! In addition is an across the board statement that is untrue and will remain so if
Americans don't continue down the "muti-cultural" path pushed by liberals

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:
In Europe to be successful in business you really need to be able to communicate in FOUR languages. If you only speak Spanish in Mexico and Central America and are not bilingual you will live in poverty. It's not quite as dramitic in the US but economic opportunities open up for people who are bilingual.

Our family, kids and grand kids are working to become fluent in Spanish. My daughter who is in the insurance business, makes twice as much money, simply because she can speak and understand at least some Spanish.

The English only issue, in my opinion, is just more political BS that will change nothing. However, what is changing is that your income opportunities will be limited if you are English only.

It's probably too late for most people on this board, but for our children the choice is clear. If you want to stay in the lower income levels you don't need to learn a second language.

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #7

President Theodore Roosevelt as having said that among other things, those living in the United States "must also learn one language and that language is English."

So does President Theodore Roosevelt

Information

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AL:

Hey apackof 2,

I agree with you 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000%

We all need to speak up and get a law passed to make English the offical language !!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 AM   #8

Yes Joanie,

I remember the days when we were Number 1 and it wasn't all that long ago.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Vegascpl,

If we're not Number 1, then tell me who is. And....are people risking life and limb to get into that country like they are here?
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #10

Index of Economic Freedom

The United States enjoys high levels of investment freedom, trade freedom, financial freedom, property rights, business freedom, and freedom from corruption. The average tariff rate is low, although there are several non-tariff barriers. Almost all commercial operations are simple and transparent. Foreign investment is welcome and subject to the same rules as national capital. Financial markets are open to foreign competition and are the world's most dynamic and modern. The judiciary is independent and of consistently high quality. Corruption is low, as befits a Western democracy, and the labor market is highly flexible.

America could do slightly better in fiscal freedom and freedom from government. Total government spending equals more than a third of GDP, although the percentage of total revenue received from state-owned enterprises and government ownership of property is low. Corporate and personal taxes are moderately high.

Less government & taxes!
Why don't liberals get this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:
Yes Joanie,

I remember the days when we were Number 1 and it wasn't all that long ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #11

There is no doubt that economically the US is number one. The economy of California alone is greater than many industrial countries. Most of us enjoy a high standard of living.

However, in my opinion there is a storm on the horizon.

Education, we've all heard how far behind our children are in Math and Science. The US is loosing ground when it comes to education. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in838207.shtml

In terms of effectiveness of education we rank 18 out of 24 developed nations. http://kapio.kcc.hawaii.edu/upload/fullnews.php?id=52

We are loosing our standing as the world leader in innovation. http://www.larta.org/lavox/articleli...4_techlead.asp

How can we lead the world when we don't educate our children?

Our kids are growing up in an entitlement world. We give them everything they could possible desire. Don't believe me go to a kid's birthday party sometime. What's going to happen when they grow up and find they have to pay back all of this money that we are borrowing. Ya at some point we are going to have to pay for all this deficient spending. They will pay the ultimate price for those tax breaks for the wealthy. At the same time there is no way they will ever be able to afford a house.

We've spent $125 Billion dollars after Katrina and accomplished almost nothing. Non-competitive contracts to political contributors with no over sight boost the economy with massive spending but they done almost nothing for one of our major cities. We should all be hanging our heads in shame!

We are number One in spending for health care by a long ways. http://www.parapundit.com/archives/003217.html
Does it ever make you wonder why so many of us have medicine cabinets full of drugs? The problem is we are way down the list when it comes to getting what we pay for.

I tend to believe that our work ethic was at one time second to none. In my opinion that is what built this country, vast natural resources and a strong work ethic. These days Americans don't do manual labor. Many American families are supported by women only while men play video games! We don't build our houses, even clean our houses, maintain our yards, or work to produce food. We rely on Mexicans for that.

It's true that our military and military spending is second to none in the world. However, that makes it hard to explain why after four years in Iraq we are still loosing in Iraq. This is a country that has survived years of economic isolation. Their military was no threat to us or anyone else for that matter. Yet with the most powerful military in the world we have yet to prevail. It is kind of hard to win a war when you don't know what it is that victory looks like or who the enemy is.

Did you see the network news report last night about the re-construction projects in Iraq. Of the 8 projects that the administration showcased 7 are complete disasters. We have spent $40 billion dollars giving non competitive contracts to political contributors with no over sight and gotten nothing in return.

In my opinion the problem with the US today is our arrogance. We have to start thinking before we act!

If we are Number 1 in the World how long can we possible keep that standing?

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40's 4 slide
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 04-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Michael,
You are correct; citizens of the USA are arrogant. For a moment, I'd like those reading to stay at the macro level. This post will not mention specifics (jobs, national language, immigration, etc.) since people a lot smarter than me are working on individual items.

A Little Bit About Me
For about 14 years I was responsible for inventing, deploying and maintaining Internet commerce (buying and selling) capability in 35+ countries around the world (all outside the G8) for a Fortune 20 company. I lived and worked outside the USA for several years. This experience might provide a view that may be of benefit to those reading this. The only thing different I found, during this time, was the profound speed at which change was taking place. This pace has never before been seen. The pace of change will only become faster.

The Overview
Many times it is difficult to see history being made, when one is actually living through it. When we were growing up our parents told us to clean our plates because there were children around the world starving. I told my children and now my grand children to do their homework because children around the world are doing their's. From an economic view the playing field is flat. Citizens of the USA now compete equally with everyone else on the planet for revenue producing opportunities. Recorded history has shown inclusion is good and exclusion is bad.

Conclusion
For my, my children and grand children's generations I have no fear of the USA loosing it's first class status in the world economy.

The Short Story
Until the 1990's the USA had two oceans to protect the majority of our stability. This is no longer true. Did you cheer for:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>cheap telephone rates
<LI>Internet capability
<LI>The fall Of The Soviet Union
<LI>China embracing a market based economy
<LI>India & Pakistan no longer threatening nuclear war
<LI>India & Pakistan opening their countries to foreign
investment[/list]There is another side to these developments. Read the long story mentioned below to understand the details.

This is why the USA will remain at the top of the food chain for the foreseeable future. The most important attributes are:
1. being able to morph into something better than before
2. a creative imagination. The ability to be the first to figure out what the next latest and greatest widget will be.
3. to be able to use the worldwide collaborative tools available so the next widget will get to market in the shortest amount of time.
4. to be diplomatic in dealings with others. Some call it being politically correct. I call it common sense. I guarantee those who are successful will rely on people of many different countries, cultures, races and intelligence.
5. The USA's fiduciary responsibility is far and away the best on the planet. This will not change for a very long time.

The people of the USA continue to do these things far better than any other people on the face of this planet. That's it in a nutshell.

If you want a bit more detail on how the global economy became so prevalent in such a short time, read on.
The long story is:
1. The fall of the Soviet Union, India becoming a more open Democracy, Pakistan moving more toward open trade and China moving toward a market economy and beginning to consume more
raw materials than the USA. While the USA encouraged these things to happen, another result was it brought about 150 million highly educated/skilled people into the world job market. It brought another 1.5 billion people into the lower level job market. It also brought about 1.5 billion people into the world marketplace as consumers. That totals a little over 3 billion people now participating in the world economy that, before 1990 were not there. This is not done without worldwide consequences.

2. Fiber optic cable was deployed to such an extent it is not possible to foresee how all the capacity can be used. This enabled
telephone rates to drop to record lows. It also enabled skilled workers to be remote from the office. Virtual organizations are now and will be the normal operating environment.

The USA's ability to successfully be a salad bowl of diverse peoples, is unique on this planet. We should participate in and be proud of this. I hope those reading this forum believe exclusion is bad and inclusion is good. Inclusion does not mean "do it my way".

What this means is that if you want your children and grand children to be able to compete for high paid and exciting jobs, then they must compete on a global level. They must embrace diversity and they must be really good at collaboration. To support this let's stop with the small stuff (above mentioned examples) and keep our eye on the prize. The prize being to ensure the USA remains the number one economic powerhouse in the world. It may or may not be the USA you individually want, but it will be a USA that remains #1 in the world.
Maybe we can all agree on that.

Encourage your children and grand children to take the courses that allow them to compete on a world wide basis, embrace diversity and excel at collaboration. Children in third world countries are getting ready to complete with our kids. Let's make sure our children have done what they need to do to compete successfully.

Each of us wears many hats, sometimes without knowing it. We demand:
1. Low prices for what we buy.
2. High returns on our investments.
3. High quality of service.
4. Activities that result in positive effects on our environment.
5. keep employees
6. profit for the owner
Some of us may have a conflict of interest with ourselves!

Over the last 17 years we have been able to witness a historically swift change in the fundamentals of how this world will do business
forever. Everybody likes their cheap long distance telephone rates? Did you cheer when the Berlin Wall and Communism (in Europe)
collapsed? Did you breath a sigh of relief a few years ago when India and Pakistan were aiming their nuclear missiles at each other
and as if by magic the crisis dissolved into thin air?

Since 1990, the oversupply of installed fiber optic cable has made global telecommunications (data communications) dirt cheap. The result is all peoples have access to the Internet and the job tools once available only to people in the USA and some first world countries. The fall of Communism and the opening of India and China to world trade has brought over 3 billion people into the world job market that were not allowed to compete in 1990. An example of good is that a few years ago when India and Pakistan were making nuclear war talk, CIO's of very large multinational companies, from around the world,
independent of each other, ensured that the Ambassadors from both of these countries understood if there was any instability in
their economies', due to war, they would leave and not return for a very long time. Both governments looked at what it meant for their
high paid (by their standards) engineers and scientists and their country's future growth and development. Without any additional noise making or headline grabbing, the crisis simply went away.

The current conflict between Israel and the Arab based fighters is another example of how the global economy is working to our advantage. If these events had happened in the last century all the Arab countries would be at war with Israel. To this date, no Arab country has joined the fight. All the major Arab countries have begun their assimilation into the global economy. There are now more important things to consider before making war.

My last example is about the last time I was in Cairo, I checked into the hotel. My room looked out over the Nile River. When I stepped onto the balcony I saw something that brought tears to my eyes. Directly across the river was an Applebee's restaurant. I stood there in
complete amazement and did get emotional. This was not because I like or dislike Applebee's. It was because at that moment, I realized "it's over". There has never been a war between two countries that each have McDonalds. Once
business and profit become a large part of an economy, war is much harder to make. This is because the middle class grows to such a level that government decisions are influenced. The middle class has much more important things to do than fight wars.

Reference Material
Please consider reading the following books:
The World Is Flat and The Lexus and The Olive Tree both are by Thomas L. Friedman. The World Is Flat is an economic view of 1st vs. 3rd world and how the two are merging. The Lexus and The Olive Tree covers the religious based vs. business based economies/countries. I encourage anyone who has someone attending college or a senior in high school to give these books to that person. It will be an eye
opener and help them make their choice of career.

Thank you for reading this and I hope it has brought value to how the topics of the day can be viewed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Gary,

Great post. You have quite an impressive resume!

However, I would like to add some more thoughts.

This is by far and away the greatest country in the world, and I thank God that I was born and raised here in Rural USA.

Thank you for pointing out the good and optimistic part of the USA and the world.

I want to point out some challenges that lie ahead of us, but also some solutions.

Challenge #1. We have a main stream media in this country that with few exceptions only reports the news it deems newsworthy, and most of that is what is wrong with this country.

They always point out problems, but never recommend solutions. I hate it when journalists do that.

Solution: We need to start holding journalists accountable for good news they are NOT reporting. There are many, many, good things happening in Iraq. Do you hear that in the Main Stream News? I don't think so.

Challenge #2. Energy Independence.

We have been buying too much middle east oil. NONE of the politicians will discuss the real solution to this problem.

Solution: WE NEED TO DRILL FOR MORE OIL HERE IN THE USA AND BUILD MORE REFINERIES HERE! This is not rocket science. We have the technology to do this safely and environmentally friendly. Why we are not doing this at a lightning pace just doesn't make sense to me. Alternative fuels? In the future, maybe, but we have enough oil here to sustain us for several generations, so why not develop that resource fully first?

Challenge #3. When we do have to fight a war, we MUST fight to win.

If we had never dropped the bomb in Hiroshima at the end of WWII, we would still be fighting IT. The Islamic Terrorists are not unlike the Japanese Kamakasi Pilots in WWII. Both will not hesitate to kill themselves if it will kill the enemy. The main difference between the two is the Kamakasi would fight us head-on, while the Islamic Terrorists will ambush.

Solution: We must not hesitate to blow them off the planet.

Politically Correct soldiers will suffer many more casulties than necessary because of the extreme tactics these people use. They know they can't compete with us one on one, so they ambush and run. They fight like the cowards they are. They have no regard for life....theirs, or anyone else's. The agressor sets the rules, and we must adjust our fighting to address this.

Challenge #4. We have members of Congress who appear to actually want to do our country harm.

What really gripes me is when going to war with Iraq was popular, most all Senators voted for the war, but when it became unpopular, these people get amnesia and forget why they voted for it, and even apologize for doing so! Then they start criticizing everyone else involved. These people cannot be depended on to lead the country, if they change their minds when ever public opinion changes. What if Truman had done that? Where would we be now?

While I agree that debating an issue is healthy to a point, you cannot disregard the proverb that A COUNTRY DIVIDED AGAINST ITSELF CANNOT STAND. All OPENLY dissention against ANY President, no matter who that would be (who is commander and chief) in time of war (which we are in) will only give aid and comfort to the enemy, and will make the war last longer and cause more soldiers to die.

Solution: Congress should have their knock-down, drag-out debates away from the media and behind closed doors. TO THE WORLD, WE MUST APPEAR UNITED!

If we had done that from the beginning, I believe the Iraqi war would be over now.

Please forgive me for my spelling. I did't see a spell-check.

Regards,

Ronnie
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #14

I am in 100% agreement with Ronnie"s post above.
I believe the Iraq war would have been over if some of our congressmen had kept their mouths shut. Their public criticism has given aid and comfort to the enemy and has given them the encouragement to hang in.