Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #29
Monaco Owners Club
Had to chime in. I have used Jiffy Lube for over 20 years and never had a problem. My company car required service every other week due to the miles I drove. Not all are bad just like all dealers or WalMarts are not bad. The main thing is get to know the people and watch what they do. This is true of all services.
My 2 cents worth.
PS: No I don't work nor have stock in any mentioned company.

Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #30
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joseph C. McKenzie:
Stick Shifts use ATF too, but its only used to cool the transmission vs doing the actual moving of the vehicle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually New Process Standard Transmissions since the late sixties have been totally filled with ATF in the gear box in many applications not just in an auxiallary cooler. That includes some of the D100 pickups (I owned a 72), the 1971 Plymouth Duster Twister Demon (one of mine also) and the Chrysler front wheel drives of the 80's both the 4 speed manuals an the 5 speed manuals (I still have an 85 with the 5 speed). It gives better fuel economy and provide easier cold weather shifting.

My 69 Power Wagon had gear lube in the tranny but that was a W200 E20 special order 4 wheel drive pickup truck with a 3 ton payload, limited slip front, posi rear, full locking transfer case, 440 under the hood, 4000+ lb 12 inch clutch and 4.78 gearing among many other items out of the norm. No quite what you would consider run of the mill.

Believe me I did a double take when I saw this for the first time almost 40 years ago but yes here was a brand new standard transmission car with ATF as the factory fill in the gear box as specified in the owners manual. I have not checked out the specs on the newer ones however I would see no reason for them to discontinue what has worked so well over the past 40 years especially with gas prices going the way they have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fluid, to my knowledge still gets moved through the cooling system, the basics of transmissions book I own is a little vague in that area as it predominately pertains to automatics, so there's a good chance I'm wrong, but it would make sense to cool the fluid that's absorbing the heat from the internal friction.

'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #31
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mercedes Benz standard shift transmissions use ATF. Not circulated through cooler either. I own a 1976 four speed standard shift Mercedes, and can attest that it has had no trans problems in the 30 years that I have owned it.

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #32
Over seven years ago I took my '95 Ford Powerstroke to Jiffy Lube in Aurora, CO. for an oil change. Good thing I was watching because the fellow filled it with 5 quarts of oil and then started to get in and start it. I stopped him before he could start it and explained that it took 15 quarts to fill it. He did not believe me. I got the supervisor to assure him I was right. I've never used them since.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #33
maybe it is just me but my home town jiffylube has always done a good job on mine. last year in kentuckey daughter wanted her pickup serviced i asked where she said walmart so i took it their for her. after waiting a hour they said it was done. asked if it had been greased. the woman said she would check. came back and told me it had no grease fittings. it is a 02, went out and checked had grease fittingsso returned to counter and talked to lady. she stated their teck that could grease it was off duty. did not offer to refund money for grease job. got store manager and all i can say is it is agood thing it was a woman. she could not see a problem so they lost daughters buisness and i try to never shop at walmart because of this and other things i have observed.

mcgillagorilla is offline   Reply With Quote