Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Heads up, looks like Jiffy Lube is ripping people off:

Click here for a video taped expose'.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Heads up, looks like Jiffy Lube is ripping people off:

Click here for a video taped expose'.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Wow. Somehow I'm not surprised. I always thought Jiffy Lube was overpriced compared to other options.

Brenda, of...
Old 02-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep Richard,
Jiffy Lube has been written up in the San Antonio area for the same thing, charging for services not accomplished. Although all the locations were recently bought by one person, haven't heard an update on them since then.

Econo Lube with multiply locations in San Antonio has also been reported to the BBB for the same practice.

So who can you trust----

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #5

It seems every few years this comes up.I really liked the concept when these quick lubes came about.Now its like walking into cheap salesman nightmare. Trying to push new aircleaners , wiperblades , etc. I remember replacing my air filter in a van then getting my oil changed at jiffy lube.The kid tried to give me a lecture on how bad it was for my engine to leave my dirty filter. I was like ,dude ,did ya even look at it before you try and sell me one.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:28 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So who can you trust---- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the road, we are at the mercy of unscrupulous businesses.

I use a GMC dealer when on the road, and back home too for some things.

The dealer may be a bit more expensive, but I have much more peace of mind, and the work is guaranteed at all other dealers.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:44 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Jiffy Lubes aren't the only ones, I caught Walmart doing something similar on my wife's Yukon a few months ago. After paying for an oil change, filter replacement, and a lube job I found that they didn't grease any of the 10 zerk fittings after I got home and looked things over.

I usually do my own maintenance, but this time I really didn't feel up to crawling underneath the car due to a recent operation on my knee. Turns out I still had to crawl underneath after paying those dudes $28.

I sent in an online complaint to their corporate HQ and subsequently got an apologetic phone call from some guy who said he was the District Mgr. He offered a free oil change the next time in.... haven't gone back for it yet.

Geesh, just do it right the first time, is that asking too much?
Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I generally try to do my own maintenace, but sometimes I have to get it done. I make it a practice to stay and watch what they are doing....I just do not trust a minimum wage high school drop out to do it right.

Ken
Old 02-20-2008, 04:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I have a Jiffy Lube right around the corner from the house. I use it for one thing - annual Texas state inspections.

In that light, Jiffy Lube inspected our 5th wheel in December 2007. I received a postcard from them yesterday reminding me that our Mobile Suites 5th wheel (obviously pulled from their database) is due for an oil change! I suppose I should take it in along with the card and see what they do when I ask them to go ahead and change the oil - and the filter as well!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:48 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Ask to see the old filter.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

I stopped using the "Jiffy Lube" style establishments many years ago, after what happened to my brother....

Seems as he was driving down the ramp to leave, the fella from the pit came racing out chasing him, with his DRAIN PLUG in his hand... My brother made them write what happened on the ticket and the manager signed it and thankfully the car was ok...

I'm with Dirk.... while it may cost more $$$ to use a dealer for these services, what I get in peace of mind is well worth it.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:28 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I received a postcard from them yesterday reminding me that our Mobile Suites 5th wheel (obviously pulled from their database) is due for an oil change! I suppose I should take it in along with the card and see what they do when I ask them to go ahead and change the oil - and the filter as well!

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ask them to powerflush the black tank with their powerflush machine and change the wiper blades!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:59 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Two Bit:
Ask them to powerflush the black tank with their powerflush machine ....! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now THERE'S a thought!!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
..I just do not trust a minimum wage high school drop out to do it right.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My experience has been high pay does not always equate to quality work. And, some of my best workers were the least educated and most dedicated.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote