Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #1

John Deere LA135se ?

I've had it with the old lawn tractor, gonna treat myself to a new one! Gonna spend in the $1,800-$2,000 dollar range. Current leader on my shortlist is the John Deere LA135se. I have about 3/4 acre of flat lawn to mow, care for. I collect vintage garden tractors, to do any "heavy lifting", snow pushing, ground engagement etc. This will be my main mowing machine.

Any experience with this machine? Any words of wisdom? Sage advice? BTW, 03/05/54 was my birthday, and you guys didn't even send a card.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #2

Happy belated Birthday.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
I am a farmer and a john deere man at heart from my my combines and tractors all the way to my mower which is a 997 diesel 72" zero turn and yes they make great machines. This is true for their large mowers, however you may want to do a little research on their smaller mowers (the Lowes and Home Depot type models) and see who really manufactures them. I know in the recent past they were made by other manufacturers. I guess what I am getting at is I don't want you to pay extra for the green paint just for the sake of green paint. That being said if it is truly built by Deere you can't go wrong P.S. Happy belated Birthday
Old 03-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #4

I've got the LA 125, this will be the 3rd summer % not a lick of problems! We don't have as big yard as yours, but I've used it! Can't swear to it, but possibly they are made by JD, however a few years ago I think I did hear that someone else made them. I do know that the price is the same no matter where you buy it. Supposedly the deal JD has with Home Depot, etc. is they are sold for X price, through the local JD dealer & he is "supposed" to put them together out of the crate & he checks it out. Only problem is that the off store dealer sometimes can't wait for JD dealer to come down & put it together & it is put together by the summer high school kid that knows how to use a cresent wrench.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickranch View Post
I've got the LA 125, this will be the 3rd summer % not a lick of problems! We don't have as big yard as yours, but I've used it! Can't swear to it, but possibly they are made by JD, however a few years ago I think I did hear that someone else made them. I do know that the price is the same no matter where you buy it. Supposedly the deal JD has with Home Depot, etc. is they are sold for X price, through the local JD dealer & he is "supposed" to put them together out of the crate & he checks it out. Only problem is that the off store dealer sometimes can't wait for JD dealer to come down & put it together & it is put together by the summer high school kid that knows how to use a cresent wrench.
Just a heads up, the LA series are built per JD specs, using JD parts, in a JD factory in Tennessee, by JD employee's. The engines are built to JD specs. The LA100 series are just built to a lower price point than, say, the x300 series. These are just lawn tractors, meant to cut your KBG and on occasion pull a small yard cart or similar.

I have several older GT's meant for ground engagement, I'm just looking at this LA135se to keep the place looking nice for the wife.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
It sounds like you have done your research.... so in my humble opinion if you like the price point and the options..... buy it! I myself for strictly mowing love a zero turn mower but I am mowing a few more acres, not to say that there aren't times that I miss my tractor style mower.... it is a little tough to have a beverage while on a zero turn mowing at 12 mph. Good luck with your new Deer or what ever brand you buy this summer.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I have a GT 275 that's still going strong since 1995. I don't think the decks are as strong on the L models. I have a friend that has trouble with rust and brackets cracking off the thin sheet metal housings. Still a good lawn tractor.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
I've had it with the old lawn tractor, gonna treat myself to a new one! Gonna spend in the $1,800-$2,000 dollar range. Current leader on my shortlist is the John Deere LA135se. I have about 3/4 acre of flat lawn to mow, care for. I collect vintage garden tractors, to do any "heavy lifting", snow pushing, ground engagement etc. This will be my main mowing machine.

Any experience with this machine? Any words of wisdom? Sage advice? BTW, 03/05/54 was my birthday, and you guys didn't even send a card.
I have a LA135 JD bought it 2 yrs ago it's been a great tractor. It's going up for sale soon because I'm going fulltime.
Mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Just my 2 cents on this topic. I would spend a little more and get a JD lawn tractor from a JD dealer. The LA Home Depot & Lowes only series uses a Briggs & Stratton engine and replaces JD's prior entry level Sabre series lawn tractors. These engines, as I understand it, do not have pressurized oiling systems. The JD dealer tractors use Kohler or Kawasaki engines on the entry level tractors that have a pressurized oiling system and an automotive type oil filter. I have had an LT 155 for 10+ years with zero problems and it still runs like new and the oil always comes out looking clean enough to put back in.

'94 Dynasty frequently towing a '68 Plymouth Fury on an open car trailer.
Bill Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #10

I have a Deere LA135 that I bought last year from my local Lowe's. I have about 30 hours on it and everything works perfectly. I would definitely buy another. Beats the heck out of my old Craftsman tractor...

Enjoy !
Old 04-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #11

Well, I blew the mower budget. Ended up with a JD X320.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Good looking machine! Sure beats my trash-picked 1984 Crapsman!
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is that a cup holder on the right fender? Where is the umbrella? Does the wife wash it for you? Nice rig.