Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is the problem.. You are required to have a "Domicile" and the address of same is required to be the one on your driver's license.

In days of old they picked jurors from the voter's list, so if you did not register you were safe but many states (if not all) now use Driver's license files to do the job.

So, you MUST respond to the summons, and eventually you will have to go to the courthouse and at least sit around for a day waiting to be picked to serve on a jury, if not serve.

HOWEVER. if you are like me.. My address is in Michigan. But I won't be back there till the snow melts in the spring... I can send a letter to the court jury selection clerk (NOT THE COUNTY CLERK less they are one and the same) which says something like:

Just got your notice,,, I'm in Georgia for the winter visiting my Daughter.. Can I come back in the SUMMER please? and they will let me do it.. once per notice. (Source, said clerk at 36th District court Detroit, MI)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
District attorney Dinkleson in Jasper county, here, said in a Joplin Globe newspaper interview that he only wants those who are willing to serve to respond, and that it's a waste of his and the court's time to make someone go through the process, only to have that person pull any one of a number of "stunts" to not get selected.
I can only imagine the defense feels the same way, so what's the sense in forcing the issue on people? I've had to miss it for logistical reasons, but would be glad to serve, when I am home (like now), and their attitude helped make me feel that way.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #17

If you have not served on a jury, I would recommend doing so. It is quite an experience. Personally, I feel it is part of my responsibility as a citizen of this great Nation. IMO........... It is a whole lot easier than spending a few years in the military.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #18
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTwo View Post
If you have not served on a jury, I would recommend doing so. It is quite an experience. Personally, I feel it is part of my responsibility as a citizen of this great Nation. IMO........... It is a whole lot easier than spending a few years in the military.
I agree. I have been called several times, but only selected to be on a jury once. I found it fascinating being part of the legal process and seeing what goes on. I also found it much more difficult making the decision of innocent/guilty than I thought it would be.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
doc

Appalachian Campers
"... and we use her address to be able to vote in our old area. "

Just being the devil's advocate here, but you still vote in that area, but feel you don't live there and should not have to serve. Somehow that sounds sort of like voter fraud, i.e. voting in an area where you no longer live. Seems like if you vote there and the jury list is compiled from that file, then you should serve on the jury.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
"... and we use her address to be able to vote in our old area. "

Just being the devil's advocate here, but you still vote in that area, but feel you don't live there and should not have to serve. Somehow that sounds sort of like voter fraud, i.e. voting in an area where you no longer live. Seems like if you vote there and the jury list is compiled from that file, then you should serve on the jury.
This makes a lot of sense to us.Just ask to postpone till you are back in the area.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave 430
If you are able to alter or change your appearance date over the phone. Be sure to get the persons name and position at the court. If by chance this person is wrong in the advise they give you. You have a copy of your phone bill showing the phone # you called. That way you have documentation to prove you called and the person you spoke with. The courts only relays on something that is visual and real, not "will I called and spoke with someone who said yada, yada, yada.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
a k

Newmar Owners Club
This is one time when being a FELON pays off.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #23

Here's one resident on gettin stuck with Jury Duty

Quote:
I am a born n raised so. cal resident, looking to get the hell out of hell soon. Also, I can't stand when the sun-baked morons say that Cali's so great cause your an hour away from the mountains,desert and beach...guess what...in Or and Wa state, you are too and it's much more natural and beautiful! As a Cali native...I pray Ca recovers so nobody will want to leave and ruin other states.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote