Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #15

Joint accounts, still work after 57+ years
wazone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
[moderatorbedit]We have "our $$$" "her $$$" and "my $$$" and we each have our own credit card in addition to joint cards, all are paid off monthly. I've done 90% of the out of home work during the years we've been married but she has income of her own.

We are not the usual couple however, we ran off to Vegas to get married so I could put her on my work insurance after she lost hers, lived apart for 2 months 'till we could rent a house that would take all our pets and have always had his and hers phone lines even back when we didn't have cell phones.

Love, friendship, communication and trust carry far more weight in deciding who will make the long term over who has what in which account.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #17

Joint everything for the 34 years we've been married. IMO this subject is all about trust, and it's worked flawlessly for us. We have one credit card we use solely on vacations and she pays all the bills with the sole exception of the bills I generate while living in the MH during the week. If I want to know something she tells me. If I want to buy something I tell her and she gives me our financial status. To tell you the truth i don't even want to deal with it. We've had many friends that have separate accounts and over the years we've seen all of them have issues of some sort with that method.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #18

Pretty neat perspective from the post thus far.

I am just wondering if it is a "generational " thing.

For the record we do have a joint credit card that we use for all purchases. Surprises are a bit tough. But we manage.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Still have joint accounts after 51 years. There has never been a problem.

So Joint for us.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have been using joint accounts, for 56 years. My DW handled the money until her hands got a visit, from Uncle Arthur, then I took over.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #21

50 years of joint accounts. Credit Unions, Credit Cards and anything else that involves money.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #22

We have 2 joint accts. acct 1 is both big checks. Acct 2 is my part time checks. I use it to buy RV stuff, pretties for mama and a bill back up. Both have access. We both have a 911 fund as well.
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

To the comments about trust...to insinuate that others who don't do things YOUR way are any more or less trusting of their mate is total malarkey. Each family's situation is unique to them. I believe that both partners should know how to handle money and be ready to step in and manage things should something unforeseen happen to their partner.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFireMedic View Post
We have 2 joint accts. acct 1 is both big checks. Acct 2 is my part time checks. I use it to buy RV stuff, pretties for mama and a bill back up. Both have access. We both have a 911 fund as well.
Seems like a lot of work to me.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
To the comments about trust...to insinuate that others who don't do things YOUR way are any more or less trusting of their mate is total malarkey. Each family's situation is unique to them. I believe that both partners should know how to handle money and be ready to step in and manage things should something unforeseen happen to their partner.
You actually bring up a good point.

One of my neighbors husband passed away and the poor lady not only had to go through the grief of the lost of her husband but trying to see what bills there was, etc.

The husband always took care of all of it.

The wife and I are open about all accounts and bills, just having different accounts work for us.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakethib View Post
The wife and I are open about all accounts and bills, just having different accounts work for us.
Though my husband and I have separate accounts, we each have access to both. It works for us.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have all joint accounts, has since before we were married, it's been 16 years and we wouldn't have it any other way. I would hate to feel the need to keep up that many different accounts just to separate ones money. If we want something we buy it, if it's a large purchase we discuss it. To each their own.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #28

I think a lot of this depends on when you got married and if you have been married more than once. I am married a second time. First marraige everything was joint. We had no problems with that although in the divorce and all of that we filed for bankruptcy. Now married a second time for last 18 years. Have always had seperate accounts except for the house and motorhome which we own together. No problems with it this way either. I think if there are power and control issues, there will be problems, no matter how the finances are kept. Money is often viewed as power and can be used in that way. I do not believe one way is better than other. If the couple agree how tt works for them, and really agree not just say it to make the other happy(which would be the beginning of many other problems too), then it can work for them.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote