Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I have an old white water hose that got delegated for my rinse hose. It stays in the dump valve compartment with the slinky. My water hose is in the separate water bay. I imagine someone has seen me use the white hose for rinsing the slinky and thought it was my water hose.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I used to have two white hoses. I don't think I have to say why I changed both hoses out.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #17

I keep my drinking hose as far away from my sewer hose as possible. I carry a separate hose to use to rinse anything to do with the sewer and use that hose for nothing else.

I'll admit I've never thought of cleaning the water spigot before connecting but then again we do use a good water filtration system on our water line.
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
I'm happy with just dumping full tank of black, full tank of gray, draining carefully and putting away. I don't see much point in spraying water around that accomplishes nothing in the way of sanitation.
That's all I do and have been doing it for too many years to count. Works for me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #19

Some people have no brains at all regarding contamination and how to reduce it. Wait until they get real sick or infected with something and even then it doesn't sink in what they just did. I've seen so many people make these deadly mistakes. I wont' drink any water from their Rv's for fear they don't know how to dump properly and care for their equipment. I use clean fresh cloths and 91 % rubbing alcohol on water faucets before I hook up to get fresh water. When done, hook both ends of drained hose into each other before storing it. Dump rubber gloves after dumping tanks . Always use gloves working any sewage.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Great advice....I'm very careful dumping, flushing and hooking up, use gloves and still have had stomach issues while on RV vacation. I never had thought about sanitizing the spigot. Just had a "Ah-Ha" moment
Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaperon View Post
Great advice....I'm very careful dumping, flushing and hooking up, use gloves and still have had stomach issues while on RV vacation. I never had thought about sanitizing the spigot. Just had a "Ah-Ha" moment
Some people use bleach water. The problem with that is that it must be mixed and used within 24 hours or it's no good. This is according to the health department for restaurant disinfection.
I use Hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle in a spray bottle and buy a new supply each season.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I'm fairly new at this and would never even think of doing such a lame thing, I carry a squirt bottle of bleach and water and spray the faucets before I connect. Now I'm really Glad I do.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's all I do and have been doing it for too many years to count. Works for me.
Yep a seperate spray bottle labeled bleach solution that I use to spray the spigot before I hook up. You never know what the guy before did!

Dan
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksfess View Post
I'm fairly new at this and would never even think of doing such a lame thing, I carry a squirt bottle of bleach and water and spray the faucets before I connect. Now I'm really Glad I do.
Just remember to mix it fresh so it's not over 24 hours old. It loses enough disinfecting properties to make it useless after that.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Some people use bleach water. The problem with that is that it must be mixed and used within 24 hours or it's no good. This is according to the health department for restaurant disinfection.
I use Hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle in a spray bottle and buy a new supply each season.
Make sure that the spray bottle is not clear. Hydrogen peroxide is sold in dark brown containers for a reason. Direct sunlight will cause the H2O2 to breakdown into H2O and O2 ( Two O atoms combine ) That is why peroxide is a good disinfectant. WHen its done doing its job it breaks down into water and oxygen.

Dan
Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like others have said, white for drinking, green for cleaning. And a spray bottle with Clorox to spray on my green hose, dump valves and anything else that may be contaminated. But the most important use is the spray the water faucet including inside the outlet, after a few minuets let the water run for a quick flush (into a pail and not all over the ground).
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My DW uses bleach straight out of the bottle on a few paper towels and wipes the faucet and pushes the paper towel up inside the faucet as well. She's careful with the bleach so no ruined jeans yet.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wonder if Lysol or Chlorox wipes could be used so you wouldn't take the risk of straight bleach on paper towels? They're showing up in our local grocery stores next to the shopping carts so everyone can wipe the handles before using the carts.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote