Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Just got sworn at

So I was telling a "non RVer" that my neighbors are going to the Yogi Bear down in Fremont Indiana. I told them I was invited but declined the offer since it is $50/night and didn't want to pay that kind of money plus gas and food. Other wise I would be down there.

Then here is where I was sworn at, they said why not go down there and get a HOTEL. It would be much more cheaper and then I wouldn't have to deal with all the people.
I was appalled by what I was hearing. He said I could probably find a hotel for around $50 and then I could just drive back and forth to the campground.

So we did a little math. A hotel down there would probably be around $50 I'm guessing. Then I'd have to buy the food when I got down there, and drive back and forth from the hotel to the campground which would be how ever long.
Plus I wouldn't get the camping experience of waking up early and smelling other peoples cooking and coffee. Also late at night fires and cooking.
I told him I didn't buy a Travel Trailer just to rent a hotel.

Some people just don't find the appeal of camping. A hotel,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
edj

Granted that there are some advantages to staying at the CG, but you must also add to the cost the additional fuel (lower gas mileage towing) costs when towing to/from the CG.

Depending on the length of time and how far it is, we sometimes find that it is better to stay at a hotel rather than the CG.

edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
Granted that there are some advantages to staying at the CG, but you must also add to the cost the additional fuel (lower gas mileage towing) costs when towing to/from the CG.

Depending on the length of time and how far it is, we sometimes find that it is better to stay at a hotel rather than the CG.
We're only talking an hours drive from my house, and they knew that. Like going to Florida, yes, a hotel, but when your neighbors are taking their campers, I'm sure not going to stay at a hotel and miss all the fun.
The people I was talking to said camping is like going to the county fair without the rides. Oh well. They never will know what they have missed out on.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #4

Anyone RVing for an "economy" form of recreation are only kidding themselves - it's NOT about economy, it's about lifestyle!

Case in point - even with our rather conservative truck/5er setup:

1. 24 foot KIT 5er = $15,000.
2. '02 Dodge-Cummins 2500 tow vehicle = $32,000.
3. Various added equipment for efficient travel, hitches, generator, fuel/tool box, etc = another several grand...

Total = $50,000 and more - and yeah, we still have to take food along - so there's no elimination of that cost, OR the price of a stay in a park or CG, with an RV.

CHEAP, it is NOT!

BUT, to us, waking up out in the woods, along some scenic lake shore or stream/river - rather than neon lights and asphalt, are what makes it all worth while.

As another member here has posted - how many neat and interesting new friends can you make in a hotel/motel stay? WE make all kinds of them out in those neat CG's - and have a large attractive scrapbook of the nice and scenic places we have stayed and folks we have met - can the asphalt hotel/motel "campers" say the same - what does THEIR travel scrapbook look like?

RVing? PRICELESS!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I camp so I can be close to WalMart....sorry couldn't help myself. It sure is nice laying down in my own bed know that just me and the dog were the only ones in it the night before. Happy Trails...
Old 07-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

Dieselclacker
Old 07-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Where we vacation in Florida the state parks are $38 a night (tough to get reservations though) a hotel room at least $100. The park we usually stay in is about $80 for the site we get. Food wise we go out often but certainly not every meal and it isn't much if any more expensive than cooking at home.

It is also nice to know who slept in the bed the night before and that the bathroom is clean. Going to take a lot of trips to make up the price of the MH though

No it isn't about the savings. It is about RVing. When you are at a CG everyone else there is into the same thing. I figure that is why you meet the coolest people while camping. At a hotel everyone is into different stuff so the best you get most of the time is a "howya doin" in the hall.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #8

With my family of 5 it usually cost us no less then $50 dollars to eat dinner out. Unless we eat fast food but I won't feed that crap to the family. With the RV we can cook meals just as tasty or BBQ for half 1/3 of the price. To stay in a motel it's 2 rooms and 15 meals a day that probably average $7 each, that's over $100 per day in meals before the motel rooms. As for gas we get 20 in the Van compared to 9 towing. For a 400 mile round trip the cost of gas is less then 1 days meals. My bed, my board games, being able to walk around in more then a room and lobby makes even a long weekend worth it.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #9

My daughter's neighbor makes a very good living with his beagles. They are trained to sniff out bedbugs in hotels,motels and cruise ships.Then there is resturant food.
Having the motorhome is like buying a boat to save money on the fish I will eat.
BOB
Old 07-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #10

You can do the same anaology on flying versus driving versus riding a horse or bycyle.

Or having kids, or getting married, or going fishing.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #11

The last hotel we stayed at cost us over $75 for one night. Lousy bed and we had the "couple-who-fights-all-night" next door. At least that is better than the other family we tend to run into while in hotels... the "family-with-the-baby-that-cries-all-night-long". Neither one of those couple seem to frequent campgrounds. The last campground that we stayed at for less than a month, cost us about $18 per night (stayed one night while traveling) It was in Hobbs NM (a city park with water/sewer/electric). The campground just before that was a COE (Benbrook, TX) and it cost us $20 per night (no sewer we dumped at dump station).

I have worked front desk in 2 hotels. I have watched the rates climb from $50 during the week to $150 on a holiday weekend for the same rooms. And I have stayed in some very nice 4 and 5 star hotels. I still prefer my RV with my bed, no unpacking, my well stocked fridge and microwave.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if you leave the RV in the driveway, you are still paying for it and the deprecation still hits you, so i figured you might as well use it, or sell it (if you can these days). the more you use it, the less it costs per night.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
And others don't understand the whole visiting family thing. My uncle lives about 65 miles away, has 20 acres, a spare room for anyone that visits. non rv'ers don't understand the point of me bringing my TT. I love my uncle, but after about 18 hours of being around each other, and the dogs who have no rules, it gets old.
So if I take my TT, I have a place to "escape" which is in my TT which is parked behind the pole barn plugged into 20amp which is enough to run the A/C and fridge and TV
Old 07-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #14

I "get it". We feel the same about family. When David's mom was still alive we took the pop-up down to stay in. His mom had a room for guests but I just couldn't handle it anymore. His family expected us to drive 12 hours with two pre-school age kids, stay up all that day we got in (including the kids). At night, they expected up to sit up until the wee hours of the morning. Now bear in mind the previous trip was with 2 month old twins. With the pop-up, I could put the kids down for a nap, feed them (heck, WE could eat... sure beat previous trips). I could pop a movie in the machine and the kids could "have quiet time" in front of the TV and I could get a short catnap while they did as well, instead of having to entertain the relatives. and the biggest thing... I didn't have to see any one too early in the AM. I am NOT a morning person.