Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I'm at a dealers doing a deal all I care about is the difference. Give my low book, high book or what ever. If I don't like it I can walk.
On the Magna we bought last year the dealer either gave us $20,000 more than low blue book on our trade or took $20,000 off the asking price. Comes out the same in my book.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #16

Spartan Chassis
Rexhall Owners Group
Mr. D, there is a difference. If they give you a higher trade in value and keep the new unit price high, you pay more tax. The tax is based on the selling price of the unit. So you are always better to get them to lower the selling price and take a lower trade in value than a higher selling price with a Higher trade in value. The tax is figured on the selling price, Not the difference between the two.

DynoDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:44 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDon View Post
Mr. D, there is a difference. If they give you a higher trade in value and keep the new unit price high, you pay more tax. The tax is based on the selling price of the unit. So you are always better to get them to lower the selling price and take a lower trade in value than a higher selling price with a Higher trade in value. The tax is figured on the selling price, Not the difference between the two.

From finance.zacks.com

Tax on Net Cost

Across most of the country, the sales tax you pay on a car purchase at the dealership will be the sales tax rate times the difference between the purchase price and trade-in allowance. The new car cost and trade value will come off the sales contract for the car deal. For example, if you are buying a new car for $25,000 and the dealer is giving you $10,000 for your trade, you will pay sales tax on the $15,000 difference. If sales tax in your state is 8 percent, the tax would be $1,200. Without the trade value sales tax on the purchase increases to $2,000.

From budgeting.thenest.com

In most states, when you trade in a car and purchase a new vehicle at the same time, you're only taxed on the sales price of the car minus the value of your trade-in. However, if you live in California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana or Washington, D.C., you'll pay sales tax on the full price of the new vehicle, regardless of your trade-in allowance. Michigan changed its law in 2013 to exempt the first $2,000 of a trade-in from sales tax. The exemption will grow by $500 per year until it reaches $14,000.

From the owner at our RV dealership

You only pay tax on the difference between trade and sales price in our state and most others.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
DynoDon was correct for his state, California and 4 other states, plus the D.C. When dealing in any new vehicle, you should work towards the highest value for your trade-in and lowest price for the new one.

I recently traded a car for a 6 year newer version of the same model. Before entering the dealership, I had received 'internet price' quotes for what I wanted and created a spreadsheet of every model like I wanted to trade for sale in a 100 mile radius. The low ball offer on my trade in caused me to walk out. I returned a few days later at their invitation and we sat down to dicker. I showed them the spread sheet which included 3 vehicles on their lot like mine but hight mileage. We finally settled on an acceptable price for my trade-in. For the new car their best price was higher by $1500 of their own 'internet price.' I pulled that email out of my folder and laid it on the table. I was told that all the dealerships gave internet prices and they didn't want to honor it. I pulled out my phone and called another local dealer for the same make and asked them if they honored the internet price. (knowing the agreement among the local dealers, I was pretty sure the same car we were dealing for would be moved and sold by the other dealer) Suddenly the manager agreed to the price they had sent me in the email.

It's sad you have to work so hard to get a fair price, but far more cars and trucks are sold in an area than RV's, so they are even harder to be educated as to what's fair.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDon View Post
Not here in WA and many others. The price here is based on the difference between the two vehicles only.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
DynoDon was correct for his state, California and 4 other states, plus the D.C. When dealing in any new vehicle, you should work towards the highest value for your trade-in and lowest price for the new one.

So what you are saying is buy low and sell high ;-).

Yes he was for his state, I just wanted
to point out that most states were not that way, thus the reason I added
the part of which states do it differently.

Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent