Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

Just venting

We been kicking around the idea of purchasing by trading in our 03 keystone cougar good condition, for a newer bunkhouse model as our grandchildren love camping with us and there is 3 of them.
Well I expect to pay avg. to hi, retail on used but I never expected I wouldn't be given the same number's for our trade.
Was told $1,500.oo for our's on a $25,000.oo used unit.
Maybe I'm wrong but I'm fuming, what do you all think???????????
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #2

Yea, I LOVE when dealers expect you to pay retail+ and then lowball you on your trade. I have walked from a few dealerships for that only to get called later to "re-negotiate". If they call don't be afraid to tell them why you walked.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you run your trailer through the NADA site? 2003 Keystone RV Price, 2003 Keystone RV Values & 2003 Keystone RV Specs | NADAguides

They seem often high, but it gives you a number to take to the table. You could also sell privately or on consignment to get more of the retail price rather than trade in wholesale price.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

Just think about it...dealers make money by making deals. So, I approach it from "what's a fair amount of money for someone to make on this level of risk and this amount of time?" Do your homework and walk in and say, "I think it's fair that you make x number of dollars off of me and, by my calculations, that means the gap between what you give me for my trade and what you charge me for my new camper is y. You decide how to fill out the paperwork, but if you can get to that number you will have a deal."
Old 03-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If the dealer is wanting you to pay high retail for the used unit but giving you squat for your trade, then find another dealer. You won't get another RV at a deep discount & expect to get a high trade for your RV.

Keep in mind you have an almost 14 year old used RV & in your words, in good (not like-new, not excellent, not very good) condition. You have to let go what you paid for it new. Do your homework. Get the NADA guide numbers as previously suggested. Do an internet search for your make/model/year RV to see what they're selling for. You'll be much better prepared to negotiate with the dealer if you go in with your ducks in a row. Good luck.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 keystone View Post
Well I expect to pay avg. to hi, retail on used but I never expected I wouldn't be given the same number's for our trade.
Why not? That's the way car dealers work. If you look at KBB for cars, you'll often find a $6000 difference between what a dealer will pay you for a car, and what they'll try and sell it for.

Try and sell you trailer without a dealer, and buy from a private party. You'll be much farther ahead on both ends.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'd say you need to do a little shopping around to get a better price for what you want to buy, and sell yours privately.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will find that if you sell your trailer you will get a better deal than trading it in.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:29 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Rexhall Owners Group
I used to run a motorcycle dealership. Look at it this way, If I give you High Retail for your trade, how do I make any money on it when I sell it? I have to buy it low enough to make a profit so I can stay in business - after all I have to pay the lease on the building, keep my employees paid, pay taxes, the electric company wants money, so does my insurance agent, and of course my family likes to eat - and on and on. I can't sell it for what I bought it for, and I can't sell it for more than High Retail.
DynoDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:44 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't buy your next coach from a dealer. Sell your current coach yourself. More money left in your pocket.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:15 AM   #11

All very good and reasonable response's.
I did my home work, Kelly BB, NADA, Search engine's, both mine and there's, and yes I know they gotta pay their expense's and make a buck, I'm good with that, but never expected to be offered 1/10 of avg. retail (KBB )
Basically I don't think they need my trade, they have ton's of used unit's and when I tried to counter I was ganged up on, I thought I was being made fun of.
Didn't take me long to leave and they knew why.
I'm still P. Oed. and it's 5:15 AM not much sleep, I think I'll take some pix and puter out 4 sale
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
IC2

There are way too many dealers out there who will sell you a very nice unit and for about what you really want to pay and with a decent trade figure. We went through that used high retail, embarrassingly low trade number and walked. We decided when that brand new Cougar 327RES on the showroom floor was being offered for exactly the same price as that preowned 2 year old unit and at the same low ball trade dollars, we needed to look elsewhere - and did and found our next last 5er, new and with a great trade dollar number plus a reasonable asking price.

Yes, I understand economics i.e. floor plan, costs of operation (overhead) and bottom line for the dealership's investors - but I don't feel that I need to be the only contributor. As far as selling your RV outright, a bit above low book is probably where you want to be to allow some negotiations so the new owner and you feel that you did well. You will just not get high book, regardless of how nice your trailer is
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #13

We recently sold our 95 class A MH (which was in great condition by the way) to a private party. Dealears offered us around 5-6 thousand dollars, we instantly got $10K cash from the first person that looked at it.... (guess I listed it too low for the condition) Anyway, two weeks ago we got a %31 discount on a new 2016 Keystone Cougar... They tried to charge us $695 to clean it up and put a battery in it... LOL... NOT A CHANCE !!! We stood up to walk out and they balked,,, dropped that stupid fee.... Sell your RV,,, then be willing to walk out on the new one... 9 times out of 10 they will deal..... (and yes we did our research across country for the price on this model.... I think we got a good deal)
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
You could probably make a cash offer on the one you want to buy for a lot less than what they are asking, and then sell yours for at least twice what they want to give you and be closer to where you expect to be.

Tags
vent