Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #1

Just venting = electric rates in CT

have to sound off ,just got my electric bill for the s&b iam now paying $86 before I even turn the lights on ,for generation and service charges ,and of course taxs ,cant wait till my grandkids are grown and out , 3 more yrs till there old enough ,then iam on the road ,HAS to be cheaper (well maybe not )

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
EIA - Electricity Data

Looks like the Northeast coast is the most expensive. In Minnesota the Off Peak aka Dual Fuel heat and airconditioning rate is .06 per kw approx.

Some Xspurts are predicting rates to double in the next 10 years.

China is building coal powered electric plants and one is fired up every ten days.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

the old rate was .0999 the new rate is .126290
Old 01-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
have to sound off ,just got my electric bill for the s&b iam now paying $86 before I even turn the lights on ,for generation and service charges ,and of course taxs ,cant wait till my grandkids are grown and out , 3 more yrs till there old enough ,then iam on the road ,HAS to be cheaper (well maybe not )
It's been too expensive there for years, which drove me to put this on my roof almost 10 years ago. The good part was at that time the state paid for the panels, I just had to pay for the install from one of their connected approved vendors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Array.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	83295  
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
It's been too expensive there for years, which drove me to put this on my roof almost 10 years ago. The good part was at that time the state paid for the panels, I just had to pay for the install from one of their connected approved vendors.
just how much did you save with that ??
Old 01-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #6

The "state" gets their money from taxpayers and consumers. No such thing as a free lunch. The non subsidized cost of solar still will not pay the interest on the capital needed to buy them.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
just how much did you save with that ??
My bill dropped around 30%, monthly. The first year I had the system rates went up something like 25% (believe it or not). Typically they go up around 5% a year. The system payback for my setup was 7 years but that was calculated prior to that first major bump in pricing. As I've had it for over 8 years, I'm totally in the green in terms of savings so it's all gravy to me at this point.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #8

I'm paying 17cents/kwh in hydro-heavy Lake Hartwell SC area...makes no sense to me. $75 jus' for lites before EVERYTHING else...
Old 01-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I live in TN with TVA dams all around us. These dams were built in 40/50's so most of the high $$ infrastructure is there. Problem is that the corporate leadership, which are considered government jobs, is handsomely rewarded plus the generous retirement benefits are breaking our backs. The president of TVA I believe is the highest paid government employee. They just awarded huge bonuses even though the retirement fund is only 65% funded.

It will only get worse.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 18 solar panels and I pay the power company $4.88 a month for the meter. I haven't paid any thing more in the last 5 years. My average electric bill was $150 per month prior to solar and my solar payment is $160. I broke even in year 2 or 3.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I have 18 solar panels and I pay the power company $4.88 a month for the meter. I haven't paid any thing more in the last 5 years. My average electric bill was $150 per month prior to solar and my solar payment is $160. I broke even in year 2 or 3.
Nice! I've talked with others in my area who have arrays and they're like you, a little pricier for the minimum monthly charge being in CT but still, no real usage and some have batteries for non-array hours.

Unfortunately I like to use electricity so I'd need both batteries ($$$) and more panels to get by that way.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My system is grid tied so no batteries. The power produced in the day time is "sold" to the utility at the highest rate and the power used in the evening is "bought" at the lowest rate. I earn credits in the summer time that I use in the winter.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lucky I guess, the last time I checked Inland Power (a co op) had the 2nd lowest power in the States. The S&B is 40 miles above Grand Coulee.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I live in TN with TVA dams all around us. These dams were built in 40/50's so most of the high $$ infrastructure is there. Problem is that the corporate leadership, which are considered government jobs, is handsomely rewarded plus the generous retirement benefits are breaking our backs. The president of TVA I believe is the highest paid government employee. They just awarded huge bonuses even though the retirement fund is only 65% funded.

It will only get worse.
My father, both grandfathers and one uncle retired from TVA. The government used to pay sub par wages but they made up with great retirement pensions, fine retirement supplement insurance and lots of vacation.

When TVA realized about 15 years ago that they couldn't support 33,000 employees, they essentially closed down the largest construction operation in the U.S. and subcontracted all annual maintenance and power construction.

And in comes our current President--O'Bama's bound and determined to shut down coal production and 50% of the power plants in the U.S. TVA's finally finishing the first nuclear power plant built the last 25 years.

Honestly, I don't know where future electricity will come from. Natural gas is too expensive to generate electricity on a mega scale. Wind power is a joke. Look for rates to double in the future. We're in trouble and the media ignores the problem with the national power grid.

Tags
vent