Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just whining a little...

Just bought the 2004 MADP in my signature from original owners. During first walk-thru the owner told me straight up that I'd "probably need new tires in a couple years." I took him at his word since the covers were all on and I wasn't concerned enough to pull them. On second walk-thru and test drive, I simply forgot to check. That was stupid.

A week ago they turned over all the service records, and the rig was meticulously maintained... except that in all those records there's not one mention of tires being replaced. Inspected, inflated, aligned and balanced, yes; replaced? No.

11 year old tires, assuming they were even made the same year as the coach - and there's no guarantee of that. I know he didn't purposely mislead me; he and I just have different ideas about the service life of tires.

So, a $5,000 expense that I thought was a couple years away is suddenly only a couple weekends away.

Ugh... the DW is gonna love this Welcome to RV ownership, honey!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh I feel your pain....didn't you say the DW was supposed to check the tire date codes

Live and learn....

Dan
Old 05-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #3

Why ever Would you Want to Whine ?
Sorry I couldn't resist .
May owners are unaware of build dating on tires , they just look at the tread and the sidewalls and say , their good for a while .

Until the worst happens.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look for the build date on the tires. It is possible he has changed the tires and did not record it. (Though not likely) Before I spent that kind of money I would double and maybe even triple check.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #5

Granted I was scammed because I was stupid & took the guys word for everything, The tires on the class c I recently bought had great tread. All matched, brand name with a/t tread & could have passed for brand new. Until it was daylight and I was able to bend over and check build dates which showed they were all 10 years old.
jeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Wryly Blithe, welcome and congratulations on your new MADP. Join FMCA and check their pricing. Some say it's a good deal. We were fortunate enough to negotiate all new Michellins on our MADP, but assume we paid for them in one way or another. The security of having new tires and not worrying about how far to push them, will be worth the price. You will control their destiny from this point forward.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the OP, have you checked the actual date codes yet?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
dpinvidic said: "Oh I feel your pain....didn't you say the DW was supposed to check the tire date codes "

Yeah, let me try that and see if it works. Just check the 11 o'clock news for wife batters husband reports... you'll know if I was successful or not

I haven't checked the date codes yet. I tried, but honestly, I couldn't find them. They're all Michelin's, and I know where I'm supposed to look, but damned if I could find them. We're picking it up on Friday... I'm just gonna drive straight to Ted Wein's and have them do an inspect & inflate service on them... it's usually free. I'll let the experts figure it out

While I'm there I'll get an estimate, maybe bargain with them a little, then compare it to the FMCA discount as Scottybdivin suggested... take it from there.

Skip, I'm done whining now

Old 05-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't be so sure you were being mis-lead. The original owner(s) may not be aware of the 7 year phobia that seems to run wild here.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here on the forum we know that 5-7 is recommend change point.. after 10,, Make sure your life insurance is paid up.

HOWEVER most people do not know that. So I am can accept the prior owner was one of the clueless.. There are many out there with 10-15 year old traffic hazards, er,, tires.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Here on the forum we know that 5-7 is recommend change point.. after 10,, Make sure your life insurance is paid up.

HOWEVER most people do not know that. So I am can accept the prior owner was one of the clueless.. There are many out there with 10-15 year old traffic hazards, er,, tires.
I will be honest (this time) and say before we bought this (our first) RV I had no idea about age on tires... I've been a trucker off and on over 35 yrs, a 'car enthusiast' , aircraft mech, etc,,, but never thought of a tire getting "OLD" before it wore out... Now I know thanks to the nice people on this site... We put 6 new ones on our class A as soon as we got it home after buying it... And yes I looked at the date codes when I bought them... 1 month old Coopers.... So to the OP,,, you're not alone...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #12

Ouch, but look on the bright side. That's just the start of feeding the beast Benjamin's. Every time I turn around, it's another hundred for something I need to fix or replace. But we are driving this baby and enjoying ourselves. So, you really don't mind. It will get better. Get out and enjoy yourselves.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everyone for chiming in... it feels better knowing I'm not alone

I'm not one of those who draws a hard line at 7 years; I firmly believe that a quality tire can easily last up to 10 years given the right conditions - UV protection, regular maintenance, cleaning, proper inflation, load, etc.

The problem here is that I wasn't the one ensuring that all of that was done on a regular basis, so even if these tires turn out to be only 5-7 years old that's still kinda iffy for me.

We'll just have to see...

Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #14

I haven't checked the date codes yet. I tried, but honestly, I couldn't find them. They're all Michelin's, and I know where I'm supposed to look, but damned if I could find them. We're picking it up on Friday... I'm just gonna drive straight to Ted Wein's and have them do an inspect & inflate service on them... it's usually free. I'll let the experts figure it out

Skip, I'm done whining now [/QUOTE]

One side front on my coach was visible , other side required crawling under coach.
Why manufacturers aren't required to put date codes on both sides of the tire is the question.
All my rear codes are hidden between the duals.
But that made for a good reason to buy a flex camera.

As for the whining , I'll be watching, I'm sure you're not done.