Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Kayaking

Anyone on here get into the kyak'ing scene? Now that I have my little TT and can use the bed of the truck again I'm thinking about it. I love being at the lake and the river. I've had big pontoon boats. Like the TT, as I get back to it, I'm doing so in a simple and easy manner. I've been on a lot of canoe trips way back int he younger days. Canoes can be pricey (everything can be) and loading and toting one by myself can be a challenge. I'm thinking a kyak going down the river would be cool. May even be groups around that I could go with for a trip down a river some where.

How are they rated? By size and weight of the rider maybe? I'm just starting to think about this. Figured a conversation with folks that do this would be a good place to begin. I've heard someone say you can never tump one over but I'm not believing that. I'd like to maybe fish from it too.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #2

I don't get on any style boat that doesn't have a motor or Bimini top, but whoever told you they "don't tump over" must be a beneficiary of your life insurance. The first thing you want to learn is how to upright that thing WHEN you do tump over.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #3

Kayaks come in 2 major flavors. Sit inside or sit on top. Sit inside is usually easier to paddle, meaning one paddle stroke will propel the kayak further.

A 16' kayak is faster than a 14' kayak is faster than a 12' kayak is faster tha n a 10' kayak.

Sit inside kayaks

1. Easier to paddle
2. Usually a little bit lighter

Sit on top kayaks

1. You can get in the water and then back onto it.
2. You can fish from it easier.
3. Can take it in the ocean
4. Easier to get on and off the kayak.

Sit on top kayaks that I like.

Wilderness Systems Tarapon 100, or 120
Hurricane Skimmer 116
Eddyline Caribbean 120

Sit inside kayak that I like.

Wilderness Systems Pungo 120
(I have this kayak)
Old Towne Diergo 120

I currently have a sit inside kayak Pungo 120 but now want a sit on top so I can roll into the water and swim.

You will want a comfortable kayak. The Pungo 120 is a very comfortable kayak, easy to paddle, but difficult to fish from.

The Tarpon 120 is a kayak I would pick to fish from. But it is not as easy to paddle as the Pungo 120.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #4

I've done alot of tubing down the river. I'm wondering about taking a river trip on one instead of a tube. There are faster spots in the river but nothing like what water adventures that they used to show on Mutual of Omaha wild kingdom shows. Pretty much everywhere except for the very slow spots you just stand up and your fine. I'm now single, I want to get back into doing things. I will probably be doing things by myself for awhile. Simple and easy is my motto form here on out.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought an inexpensive Emotion Comet. It's a sit in and only 8’ long but fun for me and Lily to take onto lakes and calmer rivers. It rides on top of my Smart Car.

I only do calm water and I don’t know how to upright myself, but have never even gotten close to rolling over. The only time I've gotten wet is at the shoreline while getting in and out. Remember to get a dry bag for your phone. I killed one on the Columbia river. And invest in a good life jacket even if you're a great swimmer.

I chose a sit in as I was going to Florida and was a bit more comfortable in water where there might be alligators.

We'd love to go yaking with a friend! Here's Lily on the bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6575247B-D904-49EE-BDD5-90694073DB75.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	204068  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #6

We bought a couple of inexpensive sit ins made by Pelican on sale a few years ago. Perfect for casual use and very lightweight. Cheap enough that if they were stolen from the truck it wouldn't be a big deal.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #7

Kayak choice

I much prefer sit-in kayaks, you can use them earlier and later in the season, and they are faster, more maneuverable, and more versatile.

There are in general two types to consider: recreational (rec) kayaks and touring kayaks (and some in-between models called transitional-touring kayaks).

Recreational kayaks are wider, stabler, have a larger cockpit opening (sometimes much larger), and often are best for beginners. Typical length is under 12'.

Touring kayaks are longer, faster, slightly less stable (until you get used to them, after which they are safer than rec boats), and have a smaller but perfectly adequate cockpit opening. Lengths typically vary from 12' to 17'.

I am very happy the guy at the store steered us towards touring kayaks, as had we purchased rec boats we'd have replaced them long ago. Note that kayaks from discount chain stores are often poorly made, slow, and awkward to paddle.

Due to the large cockpit opening it is often best not to take rec boats too far from shore, as small waves can swamp them if you are not careful, and they are more difficult to empty than touring models.

One last very important note: turns out the paddle is way more important than the kayak, i.e. it's better to have a good/great paddle and a mediocre kayak than the other way around. You swing that paddle for hours, and every bit of extra weight and poor paddle performance adds up in arm and upper body fatigue. You will never regret purchasing a good paddle, which can be used with many different kayaks. Indeed people often own multiple kayaks but only one paddle.

Finally, intro kayaking classes can be very good, especially if they teach proper paddling technique (use large torso muscles, not arm muscles!).
ewolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #8

I already have several good life vest that are very comfortable from when I had my boat. Just realized that i still have my big trolling motor from the pontoon boat. I'm going to list it for sale tonight and can probably get one form the sale of that.

Anyone need a big trolling motor?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
FWIW My life vest is designed for kayaking. The lower back is thin so you can sit in the seat more comfortably. Most boating vests are too thick.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
How about the inflatables
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #11

I have thin vests like that for fishing. very comfortable and lightweight and cool. I even have one that is very thin and inflates with a co2 when you pull a rip cord.

I don't' think I want to do an inflatable.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
I have thin vests like that for fishing. very comfortable and lightweight and cool. I even have one that is very thin and inflates with a co2 when you pull a rip cord.

I don't' think I want to do an inflatable.
They used to call those Mae West vests. I guess Dolly Pardon would be a more current equivalent.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Find an event where you can go try out different kayaks. All the businesses that sell them hold these kinds of events. Find one that fits you comfortably. Some kayaks are very narrow and can be a tight fit so be sure and try them out. The type you want will depend on what you want to do in the boat and the kind of waters you want to paddle. For instance, ocean paddling is much easier in a boat with a rudder that keeps you straight in the wind and tide flow. Whitewater requires a completely different boat. There are even fishing boats with foot pedals so your hands are free. If you want to do whitewater or anything challenging be sure you take a class that teaches you how to get in and out of the boat if it does turn over. Life jackets are mandatory in many waters. It's a great experience to be right at the water's surface instead of above it as you paddle. Have fun!
kmlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
I'd highly recommend going here and getting an introductory lesson with a certified and knowledgeable kayak instructor. (Disclaimer: I'm on that list as an ACA Level 4 Open Water Instructor with 25 years of experience.)

In a basic lesson, you'll learn about a lot of things that you otherwise wouldn't know you don't know. How's that for a tongue twister? :-)

The focus would be safely moving the boat from your car to the water, launching and landing, basic maneuvering, basic self rescue, safety equipment, and - most importantly - the realistic limitations of your skill and experience, as well as the indicators that water conditions, weather, or general environments are outside of your envelope.

It might cost you $90 for a couple of hours - less if you find a friend or two to split it with - but it would be the best $90 you could spend.

I'll leave you with a link to a video of me paddling on Lake Superior over Memorial Day, 2014. Watch out for those icebergs...

https://youtu.be/GEnwdvtgwZo?t=43s