Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keeping my BTE hearing aids dry

An alternative to using one of the many products available for drying hearing aids - for almost a year now I have been leaving mine right next to the fan outlet on my laptop and chromebook. The warm air has been working great.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good ideal! Sounds like you've gone green..
How did you get them wet?

Old 12-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post
How did you get them wet?
Your body gives off moisture, even in the ear canals. My wife has a special little fan driven dryer that sits on her dresser, while traveling she uses desiccant or rice. ctpres How do you keep the laptop fan going? Mine shuts off when I close the lid or not using it. Do you surf all night to keep fan running?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I never though of mine getting wet like that. Heck my problem is getting into the shower with them on.
I know leaving my pc will keep my fan running. It's a great ideal.
I appreciate OP for posting it.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Your body gives off moisture, even in the ear canals. My wife has a special little fan driven dryer that sits on her dresser, while traveling she uses desiccant or rice. ctpres How do you keep the laptop fan going? Mine shuts off when I close the lid or not using it. Do you surf all night to keep fan running?
I just leave them by the vent when not in use. Yes Fan stops but so far the vol. of warm air seems to be doing the job. Excessive moisture - not WET - can be seen in tube to ear mold and I have not seen any since starting this.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put mine in the Dry & Store at night has a fan and small heater that run all night and UV light that is on for the first 10 or 15 minutes. I wear a sweat band when working. If they start acting up from sweating I blow them out with canned air.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
During the night they go in the drying jar. I have a product called eargear that I put on them while wearing them. Actually just leave it on. It's like a sweat band that goes on the aid. Made a big difference. Just take it off and rinse under the faucet to clean.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #8

My wife thinks I need hearing aides. A friend of ours owns a funeral home and has offered some used ones at a good deal. Never thought about moisture being a problem.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkhorses View Post
During the night they go in the drying jar. I have a product called eargear that I put on them while wearing them. Actually just leave it on. It's like a sweat band that goes on the aid. Made a big difference. Just take it off and rinse under the faucet to clean.
Thanks for tip on "eargear", just curious whether they also help in cutting down on the wind noise that the BTE units pickup, mine are terrible in windy conditions.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't say specifically about BTE but they do cut way down in wind noise on mine. Still hear good to. It is still possible to saturate the eargear and affect the aid but it takes a lot more.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have had hearing aids for almost 6 yrs. trick is after am shower, don't put in til abt 1 1/2 hrs later, let water in ear drain/dry, an also to add, they are electronic so water an this don't mix. lots of products to keep them over nite remove moister, they will last longer an perform like they suppose to.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just recently acquired the Dry & Store TRG-AA. I have only had it for a couple weeks now but it seems to be working very well.

I have the BTE Phonak Nadia S IX. I'm on the Gulf Coast and sometimes outside I forget that they are on and the sweat will cause them to "beep." I'll take them off, open them up and blow with a strong puff of air. Then I leave them out until I'm finished with the task at hand. I also have the ComPilot, and the TV Link and recommend both for anyone with these hearing aids.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #13

I remove the batteries and place them in a small bowel filled with rice over night. Works great.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
My wife thinks I need hearing aides. A friend of ours owns a funeral home and has offered some used ones at a good deal. Never thought about moisture being a problem.
I would ask your friend the undertaker where the aids came from...