Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 478
My OPINION is that if it is close enough for shotgun reaching, then it ought to be fair game. Shotguns have a pretty limited reach really. Within that reach is too close for my tolerance.

But the big picture here is that a determination has to be made as to what elevation above the ground is your property. 12"? 12'? Can they hover outside your garage door taking inventory? There need to be limits clearly defined for this stuff. What ever happened to privacy? I own 24 acres with my house right smack in the center. I kinda like that folks can't see if I am home of if the motorhome is there. I don't need some punk keeping track of when we are on a trip and what items are outside and fair game for them to come steal. Heck if I want to walk the dog in my underware first thing in the morning, I figure I should have that amount of privacy with a tree lined 24 acres. No?
__________________

__________________
1999 Harney Renegade
Used mostly for weekends at the dragstrip with my rear engine dragster and my son's jr dragster.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
dnystrom's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 493
In my opinion, If he shot it down fair and square good for him. Short and sweet. Not a gun issue it's a PRIVACY ISSUE.
__________________

__________________
07 Meridian 34H 350 Cat
2010 Subaru Forester Tow
Home Port is Kingman,Az
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Todd157k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 297
I fly mine all over the place. No, I don't hover over peoples backyards.. and like said above, the picture is so small you can't see anything but the overall picture. So, for you "shoot them dang things down" guys... I ask you:
1) Do you shoot down planes that fly over your house because people may be looking out the windows?
2) Do you think it's a "moving target" and would be fun to shoot at? Like those birds that used to fly around your house.
3) Do you think they made laws against firing guns in city limits for nothing?
4) You don't like all the "noise" these things make.. really? Have you heard a Harley going down the street?
5) Do you put a cover over your house when Google is taking map pictures?

All the same privacy issues (ie: Peeping Tom laws) still apply whether you're standing at someones window, or hovering outside of it.

Bottom line is that there's a whole lot of whining going on, but.. it's perfectly legal (except by airports, state and fed parks and buildings) and redneck shooting it down should have consequences. I would have a legal field day with that bozo.
__________________
2013 Itasca Sunova 30A
2006 Crownline 250cr
2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
KarenS144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Paoli, IN
Posts: 1,075
That's all over the news here. The drone owner was not taking pics of the shooter's yard or house. He was looking for a friend/neighbor's house and was going to take vid or pics for the friend. Somewhere there is a link to the flight path. If I find it again, I'll post it. IMO, shooting into the air in a residential area is totally unacceptable.
__________________
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
KarenS144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Paoli, IN
Posts: 1,075
Found it!

http://m.whas.com/onair/mandy-connel...eo-1-13808801/
__________________
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
I fly mine all over the place. No, I don't hover over peoples backyards.. and like said above, the picture is so small you can't see anything but the overall picture. So, for you "shoot them dang things down" guys... I ask you:
1) Do you shoot down planes that fly over your house because people may be looking out the windows?
2) Do you think it's a "moving target" and would be fun to shoot at? Like those birds that used to fly around your house.
3) Do you think they made laws against firing guns in city limits for nothing?
4) You don't like all the "noise" these things make.. really? Have you heard a Harley going down the street?

All the same privacy issues (ie: Peeping Tom laws) still apply whether you're standing at someones window, or hovering outside of it.

Bottom line is that there's a whole lot of whining going on, but the bottom like is.. it's perfectly legal (except by airports, state and fed parks and buildings) and redneck shooting it down should have consequences. I would have a legal field day with that bozo.
Frankly I disagree. First, I don't live in a residential area. There aren't laws about shooting, and there are no Harley's. Birds do fly around my house and I have never had one break in to burglarize us. I don't even think they are too critical of my attire when I walk the dog in the morning.
If a drone is not above my property, then I really don't think I have anything to say about it. If it is flying 15' above the ground in front of my window, I ought to have something to say about it. Would you disagree? Do I need to get blinds for my house that sits in the middle of 24 acres and is surrounds by some amount of trees? maybe the tax man ought to be able to fly around your property to double check you are paying what you should? maybe the nosy neighbors want to find out what kind of car you just bought. Fly the drone over and find out?

This guy's situation may be different than mine. But where do you draw the line? There at least needs a definition of what is YOUR property, and what a property owners rights for privacy are.
__________________
1999 Harney Renegade
Used mostly for weekends at the dragstrip with my rear engine dragster and my son's jr dragster.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bartlesville Oklahoma
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
They do make them and they are illegal per the FCC, not only will it jam the drone but anything else with in range (cell phone (think 911), garage door opener, car keys, etc). We use them in the middle east to block IED's.

Need to be more directional
__________________
1996 Damon DayBreak 454 P37 Chassis
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Todd157k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
If a drone is not above my property, then I really don't think I have anything to say about it. If it is flying 15' above the ground in front of my window, I ought to have something to say about it. Would you disagree?
Yes you do, but those still fall under Peeping Tom Laws. The method has nothing to do with it.. whether it's a pair of binoculars, a camera in hand, or a drone with a camera.

Do I need to get blinds for my house that sits in the middle of 24 acres and is surrounds by some amount of trees?

Same as above.

maybe the tax man ought to be able to fly around your property to double check you are paying what you should?

They already do.. They have aerial shots of your house and everyone elses. Now they are even lazy and use google to see you have an illegal patio cover built

maybe the nosy neighbors want to find out what kind of car you just bought. Fly the drone over and find out?

That's different from walking by and seeing it? Or the "so called" door-to-door salesman who is seeing if you're home. how? Someone jogging or walking by your house is much less conspicuous that a drone buzzing outside your windows.

Not all drone operators are OUT TO SPY ON YOU.. just like not all gun owners are potential murderers.
__________________
2013 Itasca Sunova 30A
2006 Crownline 250cr
2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
 
smlranger's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 7,264
Blog Entries: 1
I do not think shooting it down was a good idea. I believe if I had an issue with a drone hovering over my house, I would contact the authorities and see what they say I can legally do about it. If it was low enough for long, I might try hitting it with a strong stream from my garden hose.

IMO, this is just another example of technology that can be useful but troublesome if not used properly. Privacy is a real concern for sure.
__________________
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
rdrv831's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lincoln, CA
Posts: 153
There is Legal cases that have established a zone above a persons property that is considered theirs. From what I have read the Supreme court has established it at around 80 feet (United States v. Causby 328 U.S. 256 (1946)).

So if the Drone was flying below that level they are illegally trespassing. Does that mean you can shoot it down, i don't think you would be legally allowed to shoot a person for just trespassing (without immediate threat) so why would you be able to shoot a drone.

This will be an interesting case to follow considering the proliferation of drones. Here in CA there is a hint for drown owners that caused firefighters to call of air drops due to their interference and being in the way just to get footage of the fire. I suspect that once they are caught they will face civil fines and possible criminal.

Unfortunately will lead to very restrictive laws (knee jerk reaction) to deal with a few knuckleheads.

Personally I would have made sure that if I was going to fly over someones property to take pictures.video of a friends property I would be sure to talk to that owner so they aren't surprised. Just the neighborly thing to do.

my 2 cents
__________________
Ray and Maria
Lincoln CA
Our iRV2 Gallery & Family Photo's link
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Todd157k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 297
I agree with both the above statements.
__________________
2013 Itasca Sunova 30A
2006 Crownline 250cr
2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
Yes you do, but those still fall under Peeping Tom Laws. The method has nothing to do with it.. whether it's a pair of binoculars, a camera in hand, or a drone with a camera.

Do I need to get blinds for my house that sits in the middle of 24 acres and is surrounds by some amount of trees?

Same as above.

maybe the tax man ought to be able to fly around your property to double check you are paying what you should?

They already do.. They have aerial shots of your house and everyone elses. Now they are even lazy and use google to see you have an illegal patio cover built

maybe the nosy neighbors want to find out what kind of car you just bought. Fly the drone over and find out?

That's different from walking by and seeing it? Or the "so called" door-to-door salesman who is seeing if you're home. how? Someone jogging or walking by your house is much less conspicuous that a drone buzzing outside your windows.

Not all drone operators are OUT TO SPY ON YOU.. just like not all gun owners are potential murderers.
I don't think you read my post. There is no jogging by my house. I bought a large property and feel that that ought to account for some amount of privacy. My house cannot be seen from the road nor the adjoining properties. That's all well and good that YOU don't want to spy on anyone. But now folks can get a drone and pretty much figure out if I am home or if I have the motorhome out and will be gone for a while. That's really all we need is another tool that thieves can use. YOUR intent may be pure. You aren't everyone with a drone. I have a drone. I fly it above....now get this....MY PROPERTY! It's a crazy concept. And one that hinges a lot on respect.
__________________
1999 Harney Renegade
Used mostly for weekends at the dragstrip with my rear engine dragster and my son's jr dragster.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrv831 View Post
There is Legal cases that have established a zone above a persons property that is considered theirs. From what I have read the Supreme court has established it at around 80 feet (United States v. Causby 328 U.S. 256 (1946)).

So if the Drone was flying below that level they are illegally trespassing. Does that mean you can shoot it down, i don't think you would be legally allowed to shoot a person for just trespassing (without immediate threat) so why would you be able to shoot a drone.

This will be an interesting case to follow considering the proliferation of drones. Here in CA there is a hint for drown owners that caused firefighters to call of air drops due to their interference and being in the way just to get footage of the fire. I suspect that once they are caught they will face civil fines and possible criminal.

Unfortunately will lead to very restrictive laws (knee jerk reaction) to deal with a few knuckleheads.

Personally I would have made sure that if I was going to fly over someones property to take pictures.video of a friends property I would be sure to talk to that owner so they aren't surprised. Just the neighborly thing to do.

my 2 cents
I agree with the exception that a drone is not a person. It's property. Shooting a drone and shooting a person I think we can agree are VASTLY different things.
Watching the video, the guy is telling IMO some pretty tall tales about the height he was flying. He most certainly was WAY lower than what his monitor is saying if the drone was shot down with a shot gun.

I would think this would come up often with some of the celebrity properties and the drama publications. These folks build a 50 million dollar home on 100 acres and someone can hover above 80' and take all the pictures they want. Maybe our GoPro's won't get great pictures at that height. But they do make cameras and drones that certainly will. Should drone flyers be required to carry some amount of liability insurance for damage they may accidentally cause while on someone elses property?
__________________
1999 Harney Renegade
Used mostly for weekends at the dragstrip with my rear engine dragster and my son's jr dragster.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dayton, Nevada
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
The answer is very simple. Buy a cheap drone yourself and when one is hovering in YOUR airspace, just crash into it. Then the onus will be on them to prove that it was your fault. They might have to even explain exactly what their drone was doing there in the first place. Of course the downside is that you may have a platoon of FAA investigators the scene for weeks.
I LOVE this idea! "FIGHTER DRONES"!!! You may have just invented the next great thing!
__________________

__________________
AC7FM
SilverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Woman Helping A Hungry Man SonnyB Just Conversation 5 01-24-2015 08:59 AM
Campers help Amazon keep up with holiday rush in Campbellsville, Kentucky okgc RV Events & Gatherings 2 06-13-2014 07:27 PM
The Man Behind the Flaming RV - Campground Owner Now in Possession of Trophy DriVer RV Industry Press 1 04-26-2014 01:48 PM
Al Little Boy & A Old Man SonnyB RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 0 01-08-2014 02:23 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.