Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
I fly mine all over the place. No, I don't hover over peoples backyards.. and like said above, the picture is so small you can't see anything but the overall picture. So, for you "shoot them dang things down" guys... I ask you:
1) Do you shoot down planes that fly over your house because people may be looking out the windows?
2) Do you think it's a "moving target" and would be fun to shoot at? Like those birds that used to fly around your house.
3) Do you think they made laws against firing guns in city limits for nothing?
4) You don't like all the "noise" these things make.. really? Have you heard a Harley going down the street?
5) Do you put a cover over your house when Google is taking map pictures?

All the same privacy issues (ie: Peeping Tom laws) still apply whether you're standing at someones window, or hovering outside of it.

Bottom line is that there's a whole lot of whining going on, but.. it's perfectly legal (except by airports, state and fed parks and buildings) and redneck shooting it down should have consequences. I would have a legal field day with that bozo.
There's a big difference in flying over at altitude to get somewhere, and hovering. Hovering is more closely related to being a peeping Tom, which is illegal. It is also a means by which a criminal could inspect his next target. This needs to be stopped before they screw it up for all the honest drone pilots.

I live on 18 ac and have always felt a sense of security because of the "Out of sight" factor. The house can't be seen from the highway. If he is hovering around my house at 100 feet, he is at least 500' into my property and can't claim that he is taking pictures of something else. If a drone was hovering over my property for more than a few seconds, other that passing from point A to B, I would consider him a threat, and he would be fair game.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #30

Doea your camera get pics of property that isn't yours? How would your neighbors know you weren't spying on them? We live in a rural area and don't have close neighbors (thank heavens!) and fly mostly on our property but the camera doesn't know where our property stops. Obviously, privacy is an huge concern but I think the public needs to be educated on what the consumer drones are able to video. Simply flying over or even hovering over a house doesn't mean the drone is getting up close pics. The Google satellite gets way more detail.

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #31

I'm not saying you have invalid concerns, I'm saying that by owning/flying a drone doesn't make you a peeping tom anymore than owning a gun makes you a murderer. Sure it makes it easier to peep in on your neighbors.. but so does a decent telescope. If you're so inclined to do that, having different tools to do it makes no difference.
I usually fly over the mountains behind my house. It's absolutely breathtaking. I only have to cross a dozen homes to get there. I usually try to follow the streets as much as I can. Bucky has it right.. it's all about respect. I personally think that the vast majority of flyers out there are more respectful than the few idiots that hover over fires and around people's windows. The laws are already in effect. The boneheads like that need to be abruptly aware of them.
BTW.. they did fine the guys that were flying over the fires.

Karen is correct. The video from these (and I have the best Gopro available) isn't that "up close". GoPro is supposedly making a new camera with a zoom lens. Boy that is going to cause trouble. Also, Bing has better aerial pics of your house than google.. and you can turn them to see your back yard.. and that funny dance you do around your flowerbed. hahahaha
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #32

Assuming the information being released in news stories is at least partially accurate (a big assumption): The drone was not at 300ft, it was at fence level looking under patio awnings and hovering over the 16 year old daughter sunbathing. (teenage girls get real sensitive about privacy...rightly so). The Dad waited and fire straight up (about 90 degrees) and claims he knew his target surroundings.
I am a supporter of our local law enforcement, however, I too question why the Sim card was not held as evidence. I'm not a DA, so I can't say what evidence (peeping Tom, invasion of privacy, something or another of a minor?)
What would I do? Hope I never have to find out, I live in Los Angeles so I better show I was in fear of my life.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #33

Me either.. but I don't think firing birdshot right over or above my sunbathing daughter is a particularly good plan.

I like the plan of buying a cheap quad copter and bringing down the offensive drone... and keeping the drone. ;-)

fixed it. You're right.. keep it accurate.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #34

He didn't use buckshot. The article said he used #8 birdshot. Each pellet is only .090" in diameter, about 1/2 the size of a BB. I'm not justifying his actions, I just want to keep some reality in the discussion.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjock View Post
I feel he was right. Nobody should be taking pictures of your backyard
How about Google?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #36

Gotta love those Kentucky Rebels!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #37

iRV2 No Limits Club
Use of a weapon is a little much in this case.

If the drone is low enough for me to knock it down with a water hose, I will.

When you knock of my door to retrieve it my answer will be: Drone? What Drone?

It is on film and you want to search my house? Get a warrant. If you can.

Case closed.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #38

Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #39

Hahaha... Child's play... I want one of these..

Old 07-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Use of a weapon is a little much in this case.

If the drone is low enough for me to knock it down with a water hose, I will.

When you knock of my door to retrieve it my answer will be: Drone? What Drone?

It is on film and you want to search my house? Get a warrant. If you can.

Case closed.
Why is a hose a better choice for a weapon than a shot gun? Either is going to damage it when it crashes. Birdshot doesn't come down and hurt people as a rule.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most cities have laws about where you can land and take off in an aircraft if the FAA is calling these things aircraft. Whole new outlook on the subject. FAA also has laws about altitude over people and structures. Minimum of 500 feet if you want to call them aircraft.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #42

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
Why is a hose a better choice for a weapon than a shot gun? Either is going to damage it when it crashes. Birdshot doesn't come down and hurt people as a rule.
Discharging a weapon in most developed areas is a crime and you can go to jail. Far as I know, using my water hose is not.

I could care less about damaging the drone. The pilot should have thought of that before he hovered, under 50 feet, (the reach of my hose,) over my yard.

Further, follow my post: Drone, what drone?

As an experienced bird hunter, using dogs, I am well versed in the use of bird shot. I just think that the use of a shotgun, in this situation, even with bird shot, is way more than you need.

Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote