Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Great story!! Not at all believable UNLESS you've had a kidney stone... been there, done that. My first stone episode was much like the OP, but my latest stone episode was totally pain-free from beginning to end... I was amazed... see the pic, it passed as all one piece, but it broke up when I was retrieving it for photo.

My urologist said analyzing the stone is passť, now instead they collect and analyze the urine, and make dietary, supplement, or medication modifications based on those results. And they bill insurance like any other lab test. He said any other prevention recommendations are a shotgun approach, arbitrary and not based on any testing... just a WAG.

Litholink Corporation

I've only been on meds for two months now, and I was 8 years between stone episodes, so it will be a long time before I'm convinced this approach works. But anything beats having another stone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KidneyStone.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	70324  

TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
No thanks, I've had mine already!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #17

I had one about 45 years ago. Six months later, I had another. When a third one arrived, my urologist sent me to see a doctor who was doing research into kidney stones, and was supposed to be the world's expert on the causes of kidney stones.

He had me collect a 24 hour output of urine, once a week. Each time I would bring it in, they would collect about 4 tubes of blood. In the end, they had about 30 pages of computer printout, and came to the conclusion "There is no reason that you should be having kidney stones."

About six weeks later, I got another stone. This one didn't pass, and they had to go in and get it. In exasperation. my urologist told "Some people claim that cranberry juice will prevent kidney stones from forming. Personally, I think that it's an old wives tale, but it can't hurt."

In desperation, I started drinking cranberry juice instead of orange juice. Well, 45 years and about 16,000 glasses of cranberry juice later, I have not had another stone. I am not really convinced that cranberry juice actually does prevent the stones. However, remembering the pain, I am not about to stop and find out.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Worst day of my life until I was medicated. I thought a short walk might walk off the pain (Had no idea what a kidney stone attack was). Halfway home I was crawling. DW took me to the hospital emerg who started an IV and introduced me to morphine. Pain all gone. CT scan revealed the stone which did pass. Hopefully I don't get a repeat.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
BTDT...eight stones, passed seven and had two surgeries. I know the numbers don't add up...took two surgeries for the one stone. A urologist told me kidney stones are worse than child birth!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
BTDT...eight stones, passed seven and had two surgeries. I know the numbers don't add up...took two surgeries for the one stone. A urologist told me kidney stones are worse than child birth!
Unless the urologist has had both, I'd suspect this analysis.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #21

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Almond Granolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
Great story!! Not at all believable UNLESS you've had a kidney stone... been there, done that. My first stone episode was much like the OP, but my latest stone episode was totally pain-free from beginning to end... I was amazed... see the pic, it passed as all one piece, but it broke up when I was retrieving it for photo.

My urologist said analyzing the stone is passť, now instead they collect and analyze the urine, and make dietary, supplement, or medication modifications based on those results. And they bill insurance like any other lab test. He said any other prevention recommendations are a shotgun approach, arbitrary and not based on any testing... just a WAG.

Litholink Corporation

I've only been on meds for two months now, and I was 8 years between stone episodes, so it will be a long time before I'm convinced this approach works. But anything beats having another stone.
You won't believe this, but I was eating some Almond Granolas when I saw the picture of your stones.

Oh man, you ruined my snack break!
Old 08-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #22

Been there done that several times. Surgery, stints ...PAIN.

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
"Some people claim that cranberry juice will prevent kidney stones from forming. Personally, I think that it's an old wives tale, but it can't hurt."

In desperation, I started drinking cranberry juice instead of orange juice. Well, 45 years and about 16,000 glasses of cranberry juice later, I have not had another stone. I am not really convinced that cranberry juice actually does prevent the stones. However, remembering the pain, I am not about to stop and find out.

Joel
I buy the Kirkland brand and Crystal Light lemonade mix at Costco. They actually go well together...with the proper amount of vodka.

Then again, looks like I am the last person to say what works and what doesn't.........
Old 08-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Got one 3mm stone that I have been waiting to pass for 6 weeks. Urologist is planning to take it in a couple of weeks. CT scan shows it has traveled 99% of the way & should pass any time. No pain except for the first night when it began. I don't go anywhere without my bottle of prescription pain relievers just in case.
TarpinHill Jct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #25

Wow, just reliving my stone problem has me curled up in a fetal position in the corner. Knock on wood, it's been quite a few yrears since I've had one. Don't relish the idea of another one.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, lots of 'whole lot more pain' out there than what I endured, but I feel for each and every one.

The stone passed on through the bladder and I never saw or felt it so I don't have the benefit of analyzing it but it hit me so hard that subconsciously I'm cutting out chips and down on dairy.

This overweight body don't need that no moe!! Never again I hope and pray.

It was a tap on the shoulder to say...hey, get some of that lard off yer arse!!

Trying to make light of the horror of that pain, but I'll never forget it.

I get little 'growls' of pain in that area the past week or so on and off I think it's because the ureter/kidney was so swollen/distended when the urine backed up, like one said the cholic.....an d that takes a while to heal.

Add that to Thursday's additional horror/nighmare of losing my little Spencer boy and that made last week one of the worse in my life.

Here's to a better one coming up.

AMEN.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had kidney stones many times over the years but the last time was about 3 years ago. Went to Dr and he ordered scan and the stone was near the kidney so I was put to sleep and he went in and used lazer to break it up then put stent in. That is the way to go if possible.
My sister woke up one night hurting and her husband took her to emergency room, they did an X ray and said it was a stone, gave her pain medication and sent her home. She went to bed and fell into a coma, husband called emergency squad and they took her to the hospital she remained in a coma for several days and they said her organs was shutting down, we thought we were going to lose her. But she finally came out of it and today is normal again. The Dr said the stone caused infection.
So they are nothing to mess with.
Remember to drink lots of water and keep the kidneys flushed so the minerals will not build up, best advice I was given.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #28

Rexhall Owners Group
Angry

I have had about 10 stones over the last 10 years. My worst one was last summer. It was 8.5mm. To me it was the size of a basketball. Had stents put in and finally blasted with a laser. I hope I NEVER have one like that again. God willing.