Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kidney Stone Anyone?

At the campground, (Loyd Park, Joe Pool Lake) last Saturday, Aug 2, 0700:

Nice and cool morning, up with the pups, outside enjoying the outside, having my morning coffee, almost ready to go back in for another cup and it started as a tummy cramp, like ya gotta go number 2......well another minute and the cramp doubled in pain, within 5 minutes I was doubled over at the entry door trying to get back up in the coach, sweats, hot, nausea, and all kinds of massive pain from I had no idea what or where was causing it.

It got worse over the next hour even after I managed to go #2. Dry heaves over the sink, the world shrank to my physical self and the intense pain. Oh my gosh what is going on....

2 hours later, no change, standing, can't sit, can't lie, can't stop the pain (feels like someone is inside under my left ribcage with one of those garden claw tools digging my insides out) and my friend Randy arrives and has been talking to me on the cell phone on and off about what I'm gonna do. Made the decision to call the ambulance. First time in my life I've been so out of my mind in pain and so sick I couldn't function.

Paramedics arrive within a short timeframe and come up in the coach, I'm still standing over the sink, and they describe my pain to me as being probably a kidney stone. I've heard they were painful, had no idea of what pain is until this. So I can get some immediate relief they tell me if they transport me to the local ER they can start an IV. I hate it, but I walk out and get in the ambulance. What a horror. The pain tripled the way I had to sit in the gurney and be tied down. The guy misses first stick on the right hand vein, I told him "you don't get to stick me over and over, to which he answered, then you ain't getting any pain meds, I responded (thinking, oh ****, he's right) -lol) HERE, pushing out my left arm and where they normally draw blood is a great vein to install the IV. Travel movement was excruciating, they hit me with 5 of morphine and 4 of Zofran and it was like nothing happened, a little edge off, but no relief from the mounting and monstrous and seemingly increasing pain.

Get to the ER finally (Methodist Mansfield) (it was only 5 miles away, I'm a big big baby) and am horrified these guys are gonna break their back getting me out of the ambulance, I told them my Mother years ago got permanently injured from a 400 lb guy falling off a gurney.....they told me don't worry, we've got hydraulics! Ok....

Inside the ER, waiting, waiting, waiting, for the nurse to get through inputting in the terminal., Crying, calling out for Mom, Dad, you name it, praying, God please,...on and on and on.....5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, FINALLY she is done and says now she'll get the doctor.....Doc comes in, says we need to do a CT scan, and will get you some pain relief, sounds like a kidney stone...ok, finally, some relief....well, another 5 minutes, 10 minutes, which seemed like a lifetime, here comes the nurse, and loads me up with dilotid and something else and finally the monster inside tearing at my insides with a garden claw tool felt a little less powerful....

Here comes imaging 5 minutes later, got over there, ran the CT, came back, 30 minutes later here came the Doc saying "You've got a 2-3 mm stone that's about 2-3 mm from dropping into the bladder, caught in the ureter. We just have to make you comfy till it passes, then you will be through." This was about 11:30. So I'm on IV fluids and sitting there, another wave comes on and they bring in more meds. About 1:00, all the sudden, as fast as it came on, it seemed to quit. Stone dropped, no problem, no other stones, I'm all good to go. 3:00 and I'm discharged, still full of drugs and feeling NO pain, go back to the CG and see my kids who were evidently beside themselves scared when the paramedics came and and me and all my pain, we bbq steaks, had a great dinner, and all is well. Randy goes back to the house and I go to bed about 7:00.

11:00 pm: pain returns (about 50% of earlier), wakes me up from a heavy sleep, can't sleep any more, get up, take some pain pills, can't figure out why the pain is back, try to go back to sleep. Nope, no sleep, no comfort not laying, not sitting, in any position, only standing. So I go through this for a few hours trying to sleep sitting, changing positions, until 0300 and decide to heck with it, I'll go pack everything up and go back home, I was afraid it was going to get worse and I wanted the coach back home and the babies too. But, can't because I have to have daylight to back the coach up the driveway at home, decide to wait till daybreak.

0630, home and unpacked and took more pills which helped, got showered, went to breakfast, still having some pain and nausea.

Sunday eve: bad night, finally was able to sleep at about 11.

Monday: Go see the urologist at 3:00, he tells me all clear, nothing to worry about. He accessed the hospitals records, imaging and reports and knew all that had happened.

Today, Friday, is the first day I haven't had intense nausea in the morning, which I was finally told yesterday that the ureter was so stretched out at the top by the kidney that it takes days or even a week or two for that thing to shrink back to normal size.....

Anyway, long drawn out boring story, but if you feel bad stomach cramps and can't figure out how or what is going on in either the left or right flank area from back all the way around to tummy, it could be a kidney stone.

I myself had no idea so much pain could be created in the body, and I've been through gall stones, back pain that would stop a charging rhino too.

I hear it is worse the child bearing, oh my gosh! Women are typically much stronger than men when it comes to pain, but my stepmother described taking my Dad years ago to the ER with kidney stones and him in so much pain tears coming out his eyes, that man never showed pain!!!

I am lucky that it was one small stone, didn't need surgical intervention, didn't need a lot of things that could have made it worse, but I'll tell you, it was a horror from hell of pain as it was for me!

Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
You are lucky it just passed by itself. I had to have surgery so they could bust it up. Then they put a drain tube attached to a big long string.. Pulling that thing out a couple days later felt like one of those never ending handkerchief magic tricks.

They are scary. I remember the pain well. Hope to never go through that again.

Retired USN Master Chief
Sprdtyf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same thing 2 months ago, 4cm and have been waiting over 2 moths for it to pass. I am waiting for the appointment call, they are now going to surgically remove it. I sure wish it would pass so I can get on with making plans to travel. But you are right, that initial pain was excruciating. But it hasn't bothered me in 2 months, it's just there waiting to get worse.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
I've made at least 70 stones over the last 36 years. Passed the last rock in June, while travelling thru Colorado. I've kept all of 'em passed outside the hospital in clear plastic bags with the date delivered. When I showed this rock quarry to my latest urologist, he told me that I was kinda weird...that most people collect coins or postage stamps.

I got really depressed a few years ago when a CT scan showed more than a dozen in both kidneys. I've had them shocked and extracted. I've had stents. Now I think my ureters are so scarred and stretched that the stones pass much easier...even those larger than 5 mm.

The pain is actually renal cholic...due to the kidney swelling. If the ureter can still pass urine, the pain is minimal. I've run the gauntlet of doctors and whatever with no real cause determined...other than my kidneys apparently do not drain well due to their internal structure.

Hey...nobody is perfect. I decided to just get on with my life and not worry about it. As far as drinking plenty of liquids...both the wife and I consider ourselves to be retired chemical engineers...busy turning copious amounts of beer, wine and liquor into urine. Cheers.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Wow I just relived one terrible Sunday morning in April 2003, have not not had one since, hope we never have another!
2002 KSDP
Joplin, MO
Randy125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had them twice. Surgery both times.

I now understand what "waves of pain " means. You can actually feel the pain starting to build, like a wave approaching the shore. It peaks , you beg to die , and then it crashes, only to start all over again a few minutes later. .

They told me the pain is only second to child bearing. I love you honey.
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
Did they analyze the stone to determine the type? Depending on the makeup of the stone, you may be able to help prevent future stones with changes in diet.
Oh, pancreatitis caused by gall stones can be even worse. Ask me how I know.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
To make a long story short, I can relate!
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My friends call this discussion an "organ recital". Glad everyone is OK.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been there, done that. Many years ago. Worst pain in my life. Have minimized dairy since, no reoccurrence thank goodness...
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
I have had 3!! 1 pass naturally , 1 had surgery , (that cost a lot -thanks mr. president! ) and the last one naturally doc says a dozen more in there . So believe it or not doc said drink beer (not a beer guy ) but i do 1 a day and have no more problems for 2 years . Who would have ever thought.
sledwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #12

Originally Posted by sledwest View Post
I have had 3!! 1 pass naturally , 1 had surgery , (that cost a lot -thanks mr. president! ) and the last one naturally doc says a dozen more in there . So believe it or not doc said drink beer (not a beer guy ) but i do 1 a day and have no more problems for 2 years . Who would have ever thought.
Been there, done that, got the scar. My German Doctor (in Augsburg) told me to drink dark wheat beer to help prevent the stones from forming again. Thank goodness I happen to like the German dark wheat beer.

That was back in 1992 and haven't had another since.

1996 Newmar Mountain Aire. 3760 CA
2006 to 2015 Boxer named Cash (aka Cassius Clay)
2016 - Boxer named Chevy
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
I am sure our doctors say give up this or that and the only thing mine said was to drastically reduce salt intake.
2002 KSDP
Joplin, MO
Randy125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
My DW has had 31 stones so far. Most required stints. As a survivor of Pancriatic cancer,she has had Pancriantitis at the same time as some stones. Two of the most painful things you can go through. She is one tough cookie.

Ted E
2013 Thor ACE 29.2
Ted E is offline   Reply With Quote