Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Kinda Fast I guess.....

I think I was ten or eleven when my dad bought a surplus Harley Davidson Motorcycle. I can not say for sure but I think it was a ''left over cycle from WW2 and as I remember it was painted Army Green. Dad took the bike apart and repainted it black or dark blue as I also remember. My Uncle Paul was still a kid at heart and he loved to ride the Harley. He would come up to our house and ask mom if it was ok to take me and the Harley out for a ride before supper. She always agreed but she always said ''You children be careful on that ''thing''..... Mom didnt like the Harley because she said she got bugs in her teeth every time she and dad went for a ride. Thus it was one evening when Paul pulled up in the driveway in his Henry J.
''Wanna go for a ride kid''??????/
''Shux yeah Uncle Paul, I'll ask mom''
He went in and had coffee with mom and asked for the use of the Harley and she said sure but he had to get me back home in time for supper. He came out and rolled the Harley out of the wood shed, turned it around I got the leather helmets out of the saddle bag. Dad had bought two of the ''kamakozie style'' leather pilot helmets with goggles attached at the surplus store because the Harley did not have a windshield on it. I thought they really looked cool but they actually looked really stupid......... Paul checked the oil in the bike and put down the ''helper springs'' on the buddy seat. He fired the engine and said ''lets to have some fun. We can go down on the that new super highway and ride the smooth pavement before they open it to traffic''.

Uncle Paul was a massive person. Well over six feet tall and a mountain of muscles with a kid trapped inside. I felt very safe in his presence.

We headed down Kivette road to the new super highway, eased around the barriers and down on the new smooth road. We eased out and ran the Harley up to about fifty m.p.h. We sailed along listening to the leaking exhaust and the ratteling valves and life was good......... We headed over toward Greensboro occasionally dodging barriers. We did a turn around over at Greensboro and headed back toward home. I slid up close to Paul and said.......''Recon how fast this thing would really go?''....... Paul said ''If you promise not to tell your mom, we will wring its ear and find out.''..................... I promised and he twisted the grip and the wind increased rapidly. The pipes were screaming and the bike was literally flying along the road. The speedometer was clocking from 95 to 100 M.P.H. ........
Paul held it there for what seemed like forever but it was actually only about a minute at most. He closed the throttle and we came back to earth with very large grins and bugs in our teeth I guess.

''WOW, DOUBLE WOW.... In my whole life I have never gone that fast.'' I confessed to Uncle Paul.

We cruised along and eventually got back to my house in time for supper. Mom invited Paul to supper but he said he had to get home. We both were still wearing the ''big grins'' when he left for home.

I walked him to the back porch and he winked at me and whispered ''Our secret?''.....''Yep, our secret''

Now it should be known that my mother could hear a whispered conversation thru a wall that was concrete and 10 feet thick. She had an extra eye in the back of her head, she could read your mind and she knew what you were thinking before you started thinking the thought. She could detect a lie before you told it and she knew everything............

''WHAT SECRET?''................ ''Well?''.......''Anything you need to tell me young man?''......... ''I am waiting''....................
''Uh, duh, (shuffel shuffell), Uhhhhhhhhhh, Duuuuhhh.''
''Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Uh,,,, Me and Uncle Paul went for a ride down to the new road to Greensboro and we wasn't suppose to be on it because it is not open yet, but we didn't get caught by the cops''....................

''Uh,,,,,,,,,, and there ain't no speed limit signs on the road yet, soooooooo Me and Uncle Paul did not know how fast the speed limit was and we went kinda fast on the bike but nothing happened.''

''HOW KINDA FAST?''....... I can go look at the speedometer on the bike and look at the ''tattle tail'' on the speedometer that you guys probably forgot to reset to zero''.................. The bike had a red hand on the speedometer that showed your top speed until reset. ''I'm going to go look while you think about this''........

I am glad that I was not my Uncle Paul at that time because Mom was not nice the next time she saw him. It was a long time before me and him got to go for a ride on the Harley again.

It was an adventure that we shared and I cherish it to this day. I still can not figure out how my Mom knew what we had done.
Mothers know stuff that you dont think they know....... I would give a lot of money for the ability she had and probably you would also.

God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe please ..

Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
What a great memory of a very fine time two good people had together. Hoping for many more good times for us all. Looks like you're at the beginnings to heal Seajay, still a ways to go. Someone like Paul is not easy to get over. Best wishes to you & Willa.

Hope you don't mind my using your tag line, says it very well.

God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe please …..

gene2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Seajay just like you I would love to know how MOMS know things that we did while out playing. We would come home and she knew more what we did than I wanted to remember.
2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Seajay, keep reminiscing it will bring you joy between the tears. When I lost my younger cousin Larry the only thing that helped was talking about the good times. The pain will ease but never go away completely, when it comes back just jump on that Harley and close your eyes. When you open your eyes again there will be a little smile on your face. That's what works for me. Mike
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
SeaJay, What a great memory to have of Uncle Paul. I remember my 1st ride on the back of a bike. During the 80's used to ride. Thinking about getting a new Harley now.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
My mom had that ability too. I was the high school vice principal's kid, if I screwed up the story got home before I did. Dad, the vice principal, never said much but mom could be heck on wheels to deal with.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Great Story Seejay!
Guess many of us had an "Uncle Paul." Mine was "Uncle John." He introduced me to hot rods during the summer of 1970, riding shotgun in his 69 SS 396 - 4 speed Chevelle. I've been a gearhead ever since, and if I close my eyes I can still hear that big block screaming down Cermak Rd....

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote