Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
"Kissing bug" is deadly.

Triatominae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This thing has been found in the Houston area of TX. Please, folks. Watch out for this very dangerous bug if and when you are in TX. I have no idea if it can be stopped from spreading.

Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ultimate rv
I picked up my truck in Texas, and when stripping it down back home on Vancouver island I found a couple of insects that look like that bug. fortunately they were dead, but i will keep an eye open for them.
Thanks... need to make sure my trailer is bug-proof!
ultimate rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pup up north of the frost line for a night.. Bugs do not like sub zero either scale.

Down here in the South they get thick enough to impair vision.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Pup up north of the frost line for a night.. Bugs do not like sub zero either scale.

Down here in the South they get thick enough to impair vision.
This bug is not the so despised love bug. It is a new to our country bug that could kill you if you were bitten by it. The freezing you are referring to needs to get to the bug. If it has found a warm and comfortable place in your RV it might never get cold enough to die and it could escape into northern homes.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #5

My brother-in-law died from being bitten by one of these. In California it is known as the Conenose Bug. It is found in the Coast Mountain range as well as the foothills of the Sierra, usually in dry brush, woodpiles, or construction sites. My brother-in-law was working in a logging camp when he was bitten the first time. He had a severe reaction and was Life-Flighted to a hospital. After that he always carried an Epi Kit. He was bitten in his house, used the injection, took the pills from his kit, and called for Emergency transport. He went into shock about ten minutes later. his family performed CPR but he didn't make it. According to California Public Health he was one of eleven people who died from a reaction following a Conenose Bug bite that year.
Finally Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #6

I would guess that this is the type of bug that if you are allergic to it could be deadly, just like some who are allergic to bee stings, and if they don't have an epi pen or are close enough to a hospital it could be deadly. Also if you have allergies to bites or some foods each subsequent bite becomes a worse reaction. This could actually happen with any kind of bug that a person would be allergic to it's bite. We have camped in the Sierra's for years both backpacking and CG camping and have never seen a warning for these bugs. Like "Finally Time" said his brother in law was one of 11 who died in California that year, although tragic and more than one is too many, that is pretty low compared to all the other things, insects, snakes, ect bites that can kill you.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I would guess that this is the type of bug that if you are allergic to it could be deadly, just like some who are allergic to bee stings, and if they don't have an epi pen or are close enough to a hospital it could be deadly. Also if you have allergies to bites or some foods each subsequent bite becomes a worse reaction. This could actually happen with any kind of bug that a person would be allergic to it's bite. We have camped in the Sierra's for years both backpacking and CG camping and have never seen a warning for these bugs. Like "Finally Time" said his brother in law was one of 11 who died in California that year, although tragic and more than one is too many, that is pretty low compared to all the other things, insects, snakes, ect bites that can kill you.
This is NOT the case. Please read the following carefully: What is Chagas disease (spread by 'kissing bugs')?

From that Finally Time has made it clear. This bug kills. I feel so bad for that family. My hope is that my joining in on getting the word out just might save one of you following this thread.

Happy and safe trails to all.
Rick Y