Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 01:33 AM   #57

2 weeks short of 1 year for both at the same time and things couldn't be better. Kneeling on concrete is an issue but at my age I don't kneel on concrete anymore. No issues what so ever. Get strap on knee pads at Harbor Freight, they work wonders.

If you do both at the same time (only 5% do) you'll need help for the first month. Plan ahead for bathing and toilet. Get a toilet seat riser and handle bars and install them before you go in. Shower curtain instead of shower doors. Be VERY careful about falling in the shower. Make up some kind of bar to hang from as you get in and out of the shower. The top of the shower door frame worked well for me without the doors on. Your balance will be off for 3 months. Make sure you have a large recliner,lounger to sit in and sleep in. Make sure it has a lever to open and close as you won't be able to use your legs to do that.

Take your meds and rehab hard. It will pay big dividends in 2-3 months.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 03:42 AM   #58
Community Administrator

September was 11 years since I had both done at once. Best decision I ever made.
I agree with all of this post especially the “ rehab hard “ part. You have a short window to obtain a livable bend. My Surgeon told me he’d do half the work and the rest was up to me in rehab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
2 weeks short of 1 year for both at the same time and things couldn't be better. Kneeling on concrete is an issue but at my age I don't kneel on concrete anymore. No issues what so ever. Get strap on knee pads at Harbor Freight, they work wonders.

If you do both at the same time (only 5% do) you'll need help for the first month. Plan ahead for bathing and toilet. Get a toilet seat riser and handle bars and install them before you go in. Shower curtain instead of shower doors. Be VERY careful about falling in the shower. Make up some kind of bar to hang from as you get in and out of the shower. The top of the shower door frame worked well for me without the doors on. Your balance will be off for 3 months. Make sure you have a large recliner,lounger to sit in and sleep in. Make sure it has a lever to open and close as you won't be able to use your legs to do that.

Take your meds and rehab hard. It will pay big dividends in 2-3 months.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhan View Post
Here are some canna-oil recipes that may help with chronic pain management: https://kononaturals.com/best-canna-oil-recipes/

That sounds awesome I will have to try it for chronic pain. Hope your wife could ease away from the morphine! I’m a retired alcohol and drug addiction counselor. Watched morphine destroy countless innocent lives after it was prescribed for chronic pain. Opioids are highly addictive with a rapid tolerance curve. Good luck and thanks for the info.
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #60

New knee

Had my left knee replaced 7 months ago, best thing ever. No pain and recovery was not bad. Highly recommend it.

Joe
Yetirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #61

Wait as long as possible!

Had left hip done it failed in 3 weeks. Had left knee done and it failed in 1 month. Both had to be done again. Saw doc today and need the knee done a third time! Right knee and hip are toast but I'm waiting until I can't walk anymore. I know too many people who have had issues including losing their leg at the knee. Bear down and suffer through it as long as possible! I wish I knew then what I know now! All caused by a kid late to a soccer game and running a red light. I was on a motorcycle.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:03 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Had left hip done it failed in 3 weeks. Had left knee done and it failed in 1 month. Both had to be done again. Saw doc today and need the knee done a third time! Right knee and hip are toast but I'm waiting until I can't walk anymore. I know too many people who have had issues including losing their leg at the knee. Bear down and suffer through it as long as possible! I wish I knew then what I know now! All caused by a kid late to a soccer game and running a red light. I was on a motorcycle.
Sorry to hear about your failed surgeries. That is a rough way to live.

Late last year I talked my dentist into getting his knee replaced. He had heard about all the failures and was on the fence about weather to get the the knee replacement surgery or not. Yesterday I asked him how it went. He was gushing about the amazing success and how he can stand without pain now. He said he has even started to hunt and fish again. He thanked me over and over again for my recommendation.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
It appears I’m headed at warp speed towards one, and most likely two, knee replacements in the near term.

If you’ve had one, what has been your experience with recovery? Are you pain-free today? Do you have full range of motion? How long to go from OR to walking without a hitch in your giddy up?
I had the right knee replaced in 2011 and it's seems stiff and tight all the time but no pain. I'm having the left knee replaced tomorrow and I can't wait. It's hurting so much that I know it will be a lot better after tomorrow. If I were you I would get it done as soon as your doctor said it is time. My doctor wanted to replace my left knee in 2015 but I waited. Good luck
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #64
Community Moderator

I had my right knee done in May 2012. After the operation in my room I kind of flat lined on them due to much pain meds. Woke up with doctors and a room full of nurses and upset wife. I told her I wasn't feeling good and by the time the wife got to the door of the room she heard a solid beep. 3 days in ICU and then 3 weeks in rehab center after that, the knee is a little stiff

I had to have the left knee done in 2018 and had a small issue with it. My left knee is still swollen and stiff some days. But I still do not have full range of motion in either knee just about 100 degrees

In 2015 I had foot operation from having my foot broken at work in the prison. Now it is still a little sore every now and then.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #65

Country Coach Owners Club
For what it is worth, my left knee is a one percenter. That is what the doc said as it kept flooding with blood weekly. Most folks have no issues and immediate relief. Very painful and damaging for me. I lost range of motion, where a bandage for support and can stand without pain. The good doc reminded me that medicine is not an exact science. I wanted to slug him!
Old 03-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
so you had a Motorcycle wreck, that don't apply to folks who need a knee replacement. stay of the Motorcycle, you are lucky to be alive
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #67

I must be very lucky. I had my left knee totally replaced a year and half ago. For the 10th week anniversary of the operation my wife and I went snow skiing! In that same trip a few days later we took a hike down into a valley and back up (4 miles). Had to be one of the hardest hikes ever. Not because of my knee, but because it was slippery, and we had to help a man and woman back up to the parking area. They were exhausted, and dehydrated and very confused. They thought since it was cold they didn't need to bring water with them.

I have full range of motion and absolutely no pain or discomfort.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #68

I had both knees replaced 6 months apart, my only regret is waiting so long to have it done
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Following this...I have tentative double knee replacement surgery sometime in mid October. I have to make up my mind. I've been through conventional surgery way back in '72 and it was extremely painful even back then...including the also painful rehab. I'm not looking forward to this but there is nothing else I can do- the bones are rubbing together with no meniscus left at all in either knee joint, and lots of arthritis.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #70

I had both knees done, same day, back in April 2010. Stored our boat and went to house in NJ. I was 56 years old.

Tough, tough, recovery and rehab, but pushed thru.

By August of that year, I was back in getting the left hip done. Hips are easy.

I was back to living abouts my boat in FL. by October.

Need the right hip done now. Looking for a surgeon and window of opportunity.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement