Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-07-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
I've had both knees replaced over the last five years.
If you're in pain all the time and it keeps you awake, it's time.
I wouldn't hesitate to have them done again.
Both times as soon as I woke up after the surgery I could tell the joint pain was gone (I did have a different pain but that was only temporary).
My advice is do the therapy they show religiously for as long as they tell you to.
Mine are great and the only people I've ever heard complain didn't do the therapy as they should have
I also used a stationary bike after a couple of weeks the DR liked the idea also.
The first few times I tried I could just run the pedals forward and back, after I got to going all the way around It really helped.
Good Luck

milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #16
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jodann:
I've been agonizing about this for more years than I care to admit. Had been injured (job related)in 2 separate incidents, leaving me, as diagnosed by ortho surgeon, w/torn medial meniscus, both knees. This was at least 20 years ago & I elected not to have surgery. Dr's final words were "You'll be back!"

His words now ring true. I have been taking Chondroitin-Glucosamine for years now, with a great deal of success.

Not any more! Now, despite being extremely active in my life & approaching the ripe old age of 66 I've pretty much become a 'couch potato'. I cannot walk for any length of time. I just have to sit down & rest the old knees. They keep me awake at night. I'm certain I could take my pulse from the throbbing sensation they cause me.

I live in a 55+ community & I see the 'old-timers' tooling around in their battery powered scooters & I can't imagine me joining their group.

Any success stories out there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like it is time. Mine are busted up pretty badly from a ladder accident 20 years ago. Fell 20 feet and landed on the back of the heels folding the left knee backwards. After a 15 minute exploritory and cleanup that lasted 9 hours and took two surgeons they gave up.

They told me to hold off on the replacement until I could not stand it any longer as the way the degenerative bone disease was setting in I had a higher then usual chance of rejecting the replacement which would then leave me in a wheel chair. One asked how old my daughters were and recommended trying to make it until my daughters were both married so I could walk them down the isle and advised me to behave in the meantime. The other told me that getting out of New England and to an area with more barometric stability would help get me off the daily codine pills and extend my time before replacement would become absolutely needed. They also offered that every year they are making improvements in the implants and drugs used for the proceedure and recovery so the longer I held out the better the replacements would be. Also a replacment was designed to last about 10 to 15 years and at the time most people could only have it done twice on the same joint so at 76 I would have been at the max and with few options.

I took their advise and so far so good.

Double and triple check the current options and make the best choice of what works for you.

Wishing you well,

Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #17
Hi all. Dutch had is knee replaced several years ago [the other one was fine]. He was glad he did it, recovery was fairly smooth but he said the ache at nighttime took awhile to finally go away. Make sure you check out the latest. When Dutch had his done, they cut the muscle which took the longest to heal. Last year we meet a guy who had both his knees done and he said they didn't cut the muscles but somehow pulled them back out of the way while they did the rest of the operation. Sure made the healing process much faster. Hope this helps, Diana
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #18
Absolutely YES! I had my right knee done last year and I was 52. I had the surgery on Wednesday and was home on Friday. Three weeks later I was camping in our motorhome. I went back to work in 8 weeks. Could have gone back earlier except my work entails extensive travel and you can't visit the therapist when you are gone so I took the entire 8 weeks. As everyone said, do the therapy and get the motion machine. Oh yeah, I square dance and was back on the floor within those 8 weeks. A positive attitude goes a long way. I was sure it was going to be easy and it was. Treasa

Bill & Treasa
TripleE is offline   Reply With Quote