Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #15

My DW had both knees done at same time, we are class A full timers. During early recovery we had a tech come to the mh and perform the procedures. Then turned to 3 times per week at pt center with work at home in between. Progress was good on left knee but continued to have problems with swelling and tenderness and lack off motion in the right. 5 weeks after surgery her right leg broke!! While at pt. they didn't realize it was broken!! Tried to go see doctor but he was out on vacation. Cover doctor was not available. Made appt to see surgeon two days later and took her home to mh. Getting her into motor home was a real keystone comedy, but she didn't think it was funny. Went in two days later to see surgeon who said he didn't think it was serious until he saw the X-rays. Compound fracture just below and including the new knee. Had to take her back home and back to hospital the next day for repair surgery. She now has a plate, screws as well as knee implant.
There was a real probability that the fracture occurred during the replacement and just finished in rehab. That was why we were having problems throughout recovery.

I didn't relate this story to scare anyone off of the surgery. My wife says she would do it all again as she feels do much better and is quite mobile. Just to show you that even if you live in an rv you can get through these things. AND if you feel setimg isn't going right let your physician know early on.

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #16

My experience

Had right knee replaced on 10/5, went home with cane on 10/7. 4 hour ride home. Went up stairs at home with cane to second floor BR first day. Started 3 day a week PT on 10/8, began driving (left foot braker) 10/15. Started walking on off days 10/21. First day of Deer gun season was 11/19, spent 5 hours in tree stand, and walked about 3/4 mile in woods, plus 1/4 mile to and from stand. Discharged from PT 11/30. Have continued with gym membership at PT facility three days a week since.

The replacement was the best thing I have done for myself. Walking without pain is really wonderful. I can ride a bike again, and hunting and fishing is as good as 20 years ago. I have lost 25 pounds, just because I can move again. All that said I was not a good candidate for replacement, primarily due to weight (300+).

I did excercise for about 6 months prior to the surgery to build strength, and I think that helped a lot. I had an exceptionally good surgeon, and my PT was extraordinary. In my opinion, the surgeon and his/her experience, The PT and hid/her experience, and the patient's attitude are all equally critical for success. I went into the surgery expecting far more pain than I had, due to the experience my brother had with his knee. I went into the PT expecting that it would be painful, and that I would have to work very hard to regain full use of the knee. I only had two painful days of PT, when the progress toward flexion stalled and the PT had to stretch things. The rest were not easy, but were not as bad as I expected.

I agree that the lift should not be needed, but You have to do the PT. I believe it is possible to continue the excercise regimen that follows PT while you travel, but the PT is essential.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
MY physiotherapist was a doll. She told me right off the harder I worked the better off I would be. She said that people who sloughed off usually ended up worse off pain wise than before the surgery was performed. You know something, she was so right.

I installed 1600 square feet of real hardwood flooring about three months after my operations and if you have ever done that job you know how much kneeling is involved. I just purchased enough new hardwood to do our bedroom and my office so the whole first floor matches. This decision was made because I have no pain.

Remember how important the physio is.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wringlemeist, would you keep us informed about how the lift situation goes. The knee replacement is the least of her problems so will need to visit Coach Lift in the near future. Herself felt the exercise bike was her best friend during rehab, so got a portable to go with us. Works fine.

Don G.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
The bike is good for warming up. Personally I felt walking up and down sets of stairs (at local HS) was the best exercise. About 45 steps each way.

Keeping leg elevated above the heart level will reduce swelling and pain.

DW had both done, three weeks apart, in June 2004. Mine in Aug and Sep 2004.
You may hold up on the lift, it seems like there is a lot of pain for about two weeks, then things get better real quick after that. Getting the leg to lay flat appears to be the key. Just our experiences.

Good Luck, Kerry
Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
MY physiotherapist was a doll. She told me right off the harder I worked the better off I would be. She said that people who sloughed off usually ended up worse off pain wise than before the surgery was performed. You know something, she was so right.

I installed 1600 square feet of real hardwood flooring about three months after my operations and if you have ever done that job you know how much kneeling is involved. I just purchased enough new hardwood to do our bedroom and my office so the whole first floor matches. This decision was made because I have no pain.

Remember how important the physio is.
I had both knees replaced in 2006 ,I also worked very hard in rehab .
to this day I still can not stand the feeling when I kneel down .If I was going to do that floor I would be sliding around on my butt .You are very lucky .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #21

I have had 2 total knee replacements. The first, Sept 2010. We were on the road 6 weeks later. My second was Jan 2012 and again 6 weeks later I flew from Alberta to join my husband on Vancouver Island. I would say it takes about 3 months to get full use out of your knee again. Make sure to get exercising. The recumbent bike to start and then a treadmill worked for me
montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excell View Post
I had both knees replaced in 2006 ,I also worked very hard in rehab .
to this day I still can not stand the feeling when I kneel down .If I was going to do that floor I would be sliding around on my butt .You are very lucky .
I wonder if they are doing something different now. I had a replacement Feb '12 and don't have any problem with getting down on my knees and getting back up again. I took the veiw that it took over 70 years to get the toughness I had in my knees so just put up with it. It didn't take long. I sometimes find that I am being reluctent to get down then realize it is more mental when it really doesn't bother much. We have a friend that is about 1 1/2 years out and he doesn't have any trouble working on his knees.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #23

I want to thank everyone who replied with their input. All the information has been quite reassuring and helpful. I'm sure the DW will not need the lift one she rehabs, but I have nerve damage in my right leg that is not getting better with time so the lift will make life easier for me.
Mike
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Anything that makes life easier is good in my book. Please remember to post pictures of your MH with the life installed. Also let us know how your DW does with the surgery.
My 45 year old daughter will have a knee replaced the end of March, so we'll see who did better, her or her father.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #25

I also had full knee replaced all went very good,phy therpy went well 3x a week,drove in 3weeks,motorcycle ride in 8 weeks,I will do 2nd knee in may,wish I had done it earlier
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #26

I will gladly post photos of the installation and the finished job after it is all finished. We are due in the shop in Phoenix on March 7. I am a bit of a technosaur, but my DW will post pics for me.
Thanks for the input!
Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #27

Really good information here and enjoyed reading about the necessity of constant excercising.
Does anyone have the same type experiences with either one or both hip replacements? My surgeon didn't even want me walking behind a self propelled for 12-15 weeks, then prescribed 6 weeks of PT 3 times a week. Then after that I could do about anything I wanted but no advice on exactly how much to walk. Doing all the winter maintenance on the motor home had me doing lots of up/down with oil changes, fuel filters, chassis lubing, and genny oil changes pretty well kept me moving. Now that it's been almost a year I get up/down the 6 steps into the MH and have no trouble doing about anything I want (except running a 1/2 mile) but still am stiff after sitting for a while or first thing in the mornings. Most of the discomfort seem to be down the front of the leg between the knee and hip.
And the more I do the looser I get that day but it's usually the next day I feel what I did the day before.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My younger brother (62) just had the left hip joint replaced. Off work for 2 weeks recoup time. Physio three times a week and he's back at work and playing in a bar band already. The pre and post exercise regime is very important to your eventual complete recovery.

Tags
travel