Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 AM   #1

What are you doing Labor Day? I'm staying home and hosting the extended family for a cookout. Each family will bring a covered dish and I will do the burgers and hotdogs. If the weather is rainy, we'll do the honors in my new RV garage - it'll hold the entire family and then some.
Annie K. and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 AM   #2

What are you doing Labor Day? I'm staying home and hosting the extended family for a cookout. Each family will bring a covered dish and I will do the burgers and hotdogs. If the weather is rainy, we'll do the honors in my new RV garage - it'll hold the entire family and then some.
Annie K. and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua

Old 08-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Texas Boomer rally at Burleson...

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Hi Hamie -
Saw your post and popped in here for a minute - we'll see you in Burleson!
I'm DEFINITELY ready to party!

Doggievet -
I noticed in your post you mentioned your new RV garage....hubby and I are looking at various styles, materials, etc etc etc for our "retirement" property. We've been looking at Morton Buildings which is a nation-wide company, but we'd like to get input from as many friends on irv2.com about the types/materials/etc of their RV garages! Did you design yours or select from a list of options?

Sandy
Texas and Boomers - we just naturally go together
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I guess I'll be baby sittting Ernesto!

I hope I don't get any more severe thunderstorms! The last one just cost me a Linksys WTG54G Wireless Router, a workstation 100MB/NIC, a Utopia DSL Modem and the time to go to the store and buy all that stuff and reconfigure my network.

and "Yes" I have all that stuff connected to a large surge suppressor. Good thing that I didn't loose the entire computer workstation and my printers. Problem was that I didn't have the telco wire connected throught eh surge suppressor. I think that's how all the network stuff got fried, through the phone wire. Strange the phone still works.

Next time I'm thinking that I'm going to cut off the MAIN Breaker until it clears.

My neighbor blew up his refrigerator, same as mine. His ice dispenser was spewing cubes and water all over the floor in the middle of the night.

He has also lost every TV set he brought to his house, 3 TVs and counting!

We both lost our garage door openers and we both bought the Chamberlain surge suppressor w/ the 5 year guarantee.

Seems that the grounds here stink since we're in sand. I probably need a 25 foot ground rod instead of a 10 footer.

One thing though I never have a puddle of water here for any more than a couple of hours no matter how hard it rains.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I believe the lightning strike can still pass through the ground wire even if you flip the breaker.

We unplug to try reduce our exposure but ???

Hopefully an electrical "spurt" will comment.

Hang in there, you're only suppose to get 15 inches of rain
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #7

We will be in Damaroscotta Me.Thats are last trip till oct. Driver,that stinks,lightning is a funny thing,it can travel a long way before it dies.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll be flying back to AZ from CA on Thursday Eve., do a business presentation in Munds Park AZ on Saturday, drive back to San Juan Bautista on Sunday and take a day off on Monday. No time for BBQ's I'm sorry to say. Working hard now to be able to play hard in 2 years.
www.livesafeandhealty.net
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:39 AM   #9

We will be in Wells ME for the weekend.

Earl & Jan

www.gsowners.com/
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:45 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We will be home with our daughters visiting. We are planning on lots of fun, going to the state fair, having a lobster bake and going to a concert. It's going to be a fun family weekend.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #11

We will camp up at the lake where we keep a camper at a permanent site...is about 30 minutes from home. While up at the lake...will hopefully plan a beach camping trip to SC later in September.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
I guess I'll be baby sittting Ernesto!

I hope I don't get any more severe thunderstorms! The last one just cost me a Linksys WTG54G Wireless Router, a workstation 100MB/NIC, a Utopia DSL Modem and the time to go to the store and buy all that stuff and reconfigure my network.

and "Yes" I have all that stuff connected to a large surge suppressor. Good thing that I didn't loose the entire computer workstation and my printers. Problem was that I didn't have the telco wire connected throught eh surge suppressor. I think that's how all the network stuff got fried, through the phone wire. Strange the phone still works.

Next time I'm thinking that I'm going to cut off the MAIN Breaker until it clears.

My neighbor blew up his refrigerator, same as mine. His ice dispenser was spewing cubes and water all over the floor in the middle of the night.

He has also lost every TV set he brought to his house, 3 TVs and counting!

We both lost our garage door openers and we both bought the Chamberlain surge suppressor w/ the 5 year guarantee.

Seems that the grounds here stink since we're in sand. I probably need a 25 foot ground rod instead of a 10 footer.

One thing though I never have a puddle of water here for any more than a couple of hours no matter how hard it rains. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greetings from Tampa Bay one of the lightening capitals of the world.

Lightening many times comes back through the grounds. So your grounds may be just fine. Another thing to consider is that just one peripheral not protected will allow a conduit for a lightening strike to get you computer system. Is the Coax on the cable modem along with any phone lines going through a 2000 plus joul surge protector? Is there a printer, monitor, amplifier, vcr/dvd player connected to your system that is not surge protected? I had to borrow a length of coax for a short while so I connected the cable modem direct and bypassed the connector on the surge protector. Had a lightening strike the next day that hit the tree next to the power pole and it took out the router and a nic built into the motherboard on one pc.

I am also considering getting some lightening clamps for the main panel. Thankfully the Motorhome didn't seem to be affected although it was connected to the house power.

Regards,
Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #13

working on Labor day.....

Fire, Police, EMS and the hospitals---we never close!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:37 AM   #14

We are camping at a beautiful, small RV park (Red Rock RV park) just 15 miles west of Yellowstone on Lake Henry. All the residents here will be celebrating together.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote