Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
LADIES, curtain question

I bought new front curtains (windshield) for our 1982 Pace Arrow a year ago. Although they look nice they don't hang high enough to cover the track. I tried the ones from the old curtains just the stick kind and have tried the 3 inch one and ordered 4 inch clips and those don't go all the way in so they hang even longer. The pleats are 3inch. Is there a way to get them to hang higher?
Thank you for the help. Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Hello Tim

I have absolutely no idea how these curtains attach to the windshield, but
if the hooks are like a regular drape you would want shorter hooks not longer.

If you have a 3 inch hem the hook it'self should be below the top of the curtain by about 2" which will give you top cover and shorten the curtain.

Hope this is more clear than mud.

If the original curtains were correct see how they were put together.

A solution I have used on difficult windows is the rod pocket using the spring loaded flexible rod that just uses a cup hook on either end to attach the rod
I thread through the 'pocket' giving a good cover hem and I have also used the same at the bottom hem to hold the curtain tight to the window.

Hope this helps..... maybe a photo of what you are working with might help as I have never seen these curtains in action.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the reply, I got them from CW.They are like the kind in the S&B you take the clip that is at each pleat then hook that on the curtain track. You pull a rope and they either open or close the curtains. What you suggest make sense I thought the other way useing longer clips. I will use the short stick clips that were on the original curtains.
I will have to wait a few days because its -20 -30 for the next few days.This what I am working with. I hope they show on the reply. here goes. Thanks again for the reply. Cold or not I will try Tomorrow, they have really been bugging me the last year and a half.Yep it worked if you click on the picture it will enlarge. I'll let you know how it works tomorrow if I can get the MH warmed up lol.
Tim
Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Ahaaa |I see there is no 'sloping window ' as I was imagining, yes, you need shorter hooks to make a nice cover for the top of the rod, that will work perfectly... and may I say they really look nice!!
Let me know if this works, it should!

Hope it warms up for you, we are having a mild bout right now at -3*C (26.6 *F)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well it didn't work, I wonder if they need starch. They hang higher but still fall back @ the top of ea pleat.
Back to the drawing board, Tim
Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had that problem on our previous coach, I sewed stiffening on the top. The curtains then did not droop.
Use just enough or the curtains will be hard to draw closed. You can get this at Hobby Lobby or Joanne's Fabric.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Well it didn't work, I wonder if they need starch. They hang higher but still fall back @ the top of ea pleat.
Back to the drawing board, Tim
All you need to do is purchase the hook with the long stem and the 'short' hook
I have enclosed a photo (i hope) and you can see the difference, the other thing is to take a drape with you into a sewing shop or drapery even sears, and someone can help.
As you can see some have a long stem and long hook, others have a shorter hook which will raise the drape and the stem holds the top firm and will not droop ...
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you, I love this site, ask and you will receive... I never thought of taking the drape in with me, We have a Joanns Fabric within 1/2 mile of the S&B and will go hunting today.
The clip/pins I used brought the curtains up to cover the track but then some of the pleats fall back away from the track. I have plenty of drape length to raise to cover the track but they just don't hang right. Did I get cheap curtains? I spent over $100.00 on them.?
Thank you, Tim
Old 01-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Tim,
If the hooks you have hold the drape up and some fall over, you have too much 'width' of drape for the track.measure the track and see if the drape is too wide for the track, I think you will find you have some extra inches left over, if this is the case, you can cut off the excess and hem it and that is that, or you can measure the excess and if it isn't too great, say... 5 inches... divide it by 2 and just turn under , on each end 2-1/2 inches.

however if you went to a fabric store today I am sure your problem has been solved to your satisfaction...

Glad to have been of help, it's nice to be able to return the favour, so many have helped me..