Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think these two topics are compatible.
When I lived in Virginia I cut 1.5 acres of grass for 13 years. When I left there and moved to Utah I had a new home built. And for the past two years I have gotten away with dirt! I figure any summer I am not cutting grass is a great summer. I keep telling the neighbors that I am on a 3 to 5 year plan for my yard. So far so good.
But this summer was a wet one and it looked like we had abandoned the 'ol homestead'. So I made the sacrifice and bought a push mower to cut down the sagebrush and tumbleweeds. Then the wife asked if it wasn't time for landscaping? I figure sure.....rocks and sand. I mean we live in the desert, right? Now we have "landscape architecs" consulting with us. It is interesting that when they ask how much I want to spend that all the estimates figure up to that exact amount. So now I am telling them what I want and then ask them how much it will cost. I get a more accurate figure that way.
So anybody got any cactus or Gila Monsters they want relocated? I need to get rid of the dang prarie dogs! They are 'protected' here in Utah. It is $10,000 fine if caught. So I just get on the ATV and ride all over my property. Eventually they will move.
And what is your latest project now that winter is almost upon us?
Chet

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think these two topics are compatible.
When I lived in Virginia I cut 1.5 acres of grass for 13 years. When I left there and moved to Utah I had a new home built. And for the past two years I have gotten away with dirt! I figure any summer I am not cutting grass is a great summer. I keep telling the neighbors that I am on a 3 to 5 year plan for my yard. So far so good.
But this summer was a wet one and it looked like we had abandoned the 'ol homestead'. So I made the sacrifice and bought a push mower to cut down the sagebrush and tumbleweeds. Then the wife asked if it wasn't time for landscaping? I figure sure.....rocks and sand. I mean we live in the desert, right? Now we have "landscape architecs" consulting with us. It is interesting that when they ask how much I want to spend that all the estimates figure up to that exact amount. So now I am telling them what I want and then ask them how much it will cost. I get a more accurate figure that way.
So anybody got any cactus or Gila Monsters they want relocated? I need to get rid of the dang prarie dogs! They are 'protected' here in Utah. It is $10,000 fine if caught. So I just get on the ATV and ride all over my property. Eventually they will move.
And what is your latest project now that winter is almost upon us?
Chet

Old 11-05-2005, 05:53 AM   #3

Winter? Oh yea, that funny white stuff that falls from the sky! I remember that. Well last week I planted a garden, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and squash. So about the time you are shoveling out from under I'll be enjoying fresh vine ripened tomatoes and crisp garden fresh lettuce .... Sorry couldn't resist. BTW we lived in Maine for 30 years !

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:58 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now we have "landscape architecs" consulting with us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like it's time to move again.
DonavonP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winter is just cold weather up here in the high desert country. If we want warm we just "drive down off the mountain" to St. George where winter temps seldom get below 50 degrees.
Snow? Not much. I would never need a 4x4 to get around. If I do I would use my ATV! Gives me an excuse to ride the thing in the snow.
Chet
Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 AM   #6

hey thats what im doing... watching my garden grow...
i love living in the desert myself, being from pennsylvania i know what the cold is like...

hey chet, you need cactus ya should come down here ya take a snip or 2 you can start most of them yourself

we just got back from camping sunday hehe
love this weather
Old 11-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The problem with the "high" desert is it is often too cold to support regular cactus growth. But thanks for the offer.
Cold? Snow? We lived in Virgina for 13 years. Got to experience the "100 year storm" in 1993! Then in 02 I moved to Utah. Had to dig out the 5th wheel to leave. The snow blower was already in Utah.
Hope you are liking Arizona. I do like Utah. If you get up this way stop by. We are just off exit 62 on I-15 in Utah. Zion is a couple hours away and Bryce Canyon is about 1.5 hours out and Cedar Breaks is 20 minutes from home.
Chet
Chet