Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #1

Learning the hard way

Newbie here. Bought a 2015 28' tag-a-long and a new 2015 Chevy 2500 to pull it and here it is Memorial day weekend coming up and no where to go. Guess what I learned is if you don't make reservations your SOL. Every campground within a 150 mile radius is booked solid. So much for going camping on a whim. Always liked to just go when I take a notion but guess I'll have to change my ways and try and plan something out now.
ldb187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Make your Fourth of July plans now! For this weekend, driveway camp. Think of the gas you'll save.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #3

Some state parks (other parks too) do not reserve 100%. If you were to drive in it is possible that they might have a site. The earlier on a Friday you arrive the better your chances.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are an unlimited number of Walmarts, Big Box Stores, Flyin J's, Cracker Barrel's & other places to spend the night. This way you get experience in overnighting and using your new toys. Where are you located? My Park has many open sites available. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #5

Don't give up completely, keep checking for cancellations. There are many good suggestions here. I like the driveway camp. Sleeping in your new space will feel wonderful.

JKN
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T
5 Wheel. full time
jkn1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know you want to get out this wed lend and others have provided some ideas. My thoughts to share are longer term. Many folks who camp regularity pass on holiday weekends. Clouds, folks up late, etc. instead camp on any other weekend.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stay home on holiday weekends, too many wild people on the road and late parties in the parks. A minor one is that some parks jack up the holiday rates for those special weekends.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
This is an excellent time to do your maiden trip in your driveway.

Use the camper and do not go into the house unless it is absolutely necessary. Keep a list of items forgotten/needed for camping.

We always made our first "trip" in the driveway. It is an excellent time for working out all the details.

Happy Camping.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We too avoid holiday weekends, unless it can't be avoided because of extended travel. It stinks, but there are just SO MANY "campers".

I was in this HUGE, I mean massive, campground in Maine - completely empty shy of a 5 rv's. Had the place to ourselves! Beauty. Didn't realize the following weekend was a holiday, and on Friday they poured in, filled every spot, all that setup work, all gone by sunday afternoon. It was a spectacle to watch - and of course - a "loud" weekend.

The smart ones were the ones who had 5th wheels parked and empty and just "showed up" and left again.

I understand the bummerness of not being able to make something happen when you want to. Totally do.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldb187 View Post
Newbie here. Bought a 2015 28' tag-a-long and a new 2015 Chevy 2500 to pull it and here it is Memorial day weekend coming up and no where to go. Guess what I learned is if you don't make reservations your SOL. Every campground within a 150 mile radius is booked solid. So much for going camping on a whim. Always liked to just go when I take a notion but guess I'll have to change my ways and try and plan something out now.

Yep! That applies to every major holiday during the summer and fall!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #11

you don't have to stay in a "campground" there are all kinds of great camping spots on national forest lands and it's free just have to boondock
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had reservations but with all the rain our camp ground is now under water. Lots of people with no where to go. If I had a long enough drive way I would set it up. Welcome to IRV2!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I've worked at campgrounds and it is not unusual for them to be booked on holidays 2-3 weeks prior. Cancellations come in every day and those are filled as they become available. Personally, I would rather not be in a campground during a holiday weekend if I can avoid it. Some campgrounds that are very popular, usually are filled on regular summer weekends as well. But if you find the campgrounds away from the hustle and bustle, you can usually get in. As a rule I don't make a reservation except holidays and snowbird locations.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
We just got back from two weeks at Waxahachie Creek Campground at Bardwell Lake. First we were run out by COE, cant stay more than 14 days at a campground and second the campgrounds were being flooded. We had a great time and most of the time we were the only ones in the park, even on weekends. We try to go when other people would not want to go. I know that is a little unpredictable but in general it works for us.
txdad is offline   Reply With Quote