Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #43

I'm a newbie who is spending lots of time on this forum learning all I can, with our very first trip planned for end of month to Hilton head island.
Our porch light is the yellow outdoor light designed not to attract bugs. My original plan was to use the porch light just like the one at home, leaving it on all night. To me, this is primarily for safety. I believe that with the awning up, the light would not come close to bothering anyone. At least not near as much as a street light would, which I would assume most campgrounds would have. I want o be a good neighbor, so if my porch light annoys others, I'll be more than happy to turn it off ( as long as I can hear your request over the barking of our two doggies [moderator edit]

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #44

Porch light? That is nuthin. It is the other stuff that can be disturbing....all night.

Rope lights anyone? Sheesh!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-624408239.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	43820

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #45

My thinking is that if a little yellow light left on all night outside bothers you, probably a lot of other things bother you too and you probably have no business staying overnight in a campground. If someone knocked on my door in the middle of the night and asks me to turn off my door light, they will be greeted with an icy stare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
I'm a newbie who is spending lots of time on this forum learning all I can, with our very first trip planned for end of month to Hilton head island.
Our porch light is the yellow outdoor light designed not to attract bugs. My original plan was to use the porch light just like the one at home, leaving it on all night. To me, this is primarily for safety. I believe that with the awning up, the light would not come close to bothering anyone. At least not near as much as a street light would, which I would assume most campgrounds would have. I want o be a good neighbor, so if my porch light annoys others, I'll be more than happy to turn it off ( as long as I can hear your request over the barking of our two doggies!)
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have been next to other campers twice that had the big round lights on the left side (facing our door) on all night. We just pulled the shades and dealt with it. If we were going to be neighbors for long I would have asked if they could turn it off.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

TdogKing
May I ask why?
It's imposable for a LP water heater burn bright enough for anyone to see.
If anyone can hear it burning from over 5'-10' feet unless the LP/air mixture is not adjusted properly.
If it bothers you when you are trying to sleep in your own coach turn it off, get a good night's sleep and adjust it in the morning.
Mel
'96 Safari
10 gal Suburban LP WH
Sometimes in certain situations the neighbors water heater is close to your bedroom. When it's cold at night it cycles all night long and is loud when the rest of the park is quiet. I grew up Camping in the So Cal deserts (Boondocking) and was taught to conserve everything so I learned to shut it off at night. But they are noisy when you're in a park and its close to your bedroom.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #48

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its called Inconsiderate!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnaker33 View Post
Its called Inconsiderate!
It is when you know it irritates people yet you do it anyway.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
They turn it on...and forget it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #51

It aggravates me hell out of me also!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet... but we travel with three small dogs. Sometimes, the two that are geriatrics need to go outside in the middle of the night.

Many/most places we stay have a good deal of wild life including skunks and coyotes. This can be true even in urban settings like San Diego where we would pull into Santee Lakes CG after dark and see our headlights illuminate the glowing eyes of coyotes hiding under dark coaches. Same has been true with skunks.

I never leave the porch light on but I do have rope lights permanently installed under my 15' patio slide... on the 15' slide topper... and on the 7' bedroom slide topper. I leave these on all night to discourage animals from hanging around but I kill them at bed time if anyone is staying on that side of me.

Bottom line is that I don't want anything hiding under our dark coach which will hurt my dogs... or even make them smell really badly.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #53

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
Iíve been RVíing for over ten years and currently I am four weeks into a twelve week trip. I have been very curious as to why people have to leave their outside entry way lights on all night. I live in an area affected by lots of city lights and quite frankly enjoy the lack of lights at night. In my opinion, I find it very annoying to be parked next to a fellow RVíer who leaves their outside entry light all night. I like to sleep with the windows open and shades up to get fresh air. Canít do that when someone is parked next to me and is all lit up. Some of you who read this may consider me to be a cranky old man. Maybe youíre right, but I still like to hear from someone who may have an explanation for leaving their outside entry way light on all night.

WELL, I am guilty of leaving my light on some nights especially if I think there is any chance that someone may be walking around the site even if just cutting through.

A dear friend of mine was sued last year and had to pay (actually his insurance paid when the Judge ruled against them) because someone was cutting through his site at the KOA and tripped on a rock in the site breaking his leg.

I KNOW, I don't get it either but the legal system has now become the last great TRUE lottery and common sense just doesn't seem to matter any more. I would have been tempted to treat him as a threat to my life...
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #54

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Porch light? That is nuthin. It is the other stuff that can be disturbing....all night.

Rope lights anyone? Sheesh!

Attachment 43820

Think SAFETY!!!! Just kidding (a little)
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like the OP I like it dark and no porch lights left on. But, each to their own, no harm no foul.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #56

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't you turn the light on when they have gone out and then shut it off when they're done.I'll bet you don't leave the light on at home when your paying for the electricity.