Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leaving Outside Entry Light On - Why?

I’ve been RV’ing for over ten years and currently I am four weeks into a twelve week trip. I have been very curious as to why people have to leave their outside entry way lights on all night. I live in an area affected by lots of city lights and quite frankly enjoy the lack of lights at night. In my opinion, I find it very annoying to be parked next to a fellow RV’er who leaves their outside entry light all night. I like to sleep with the windows open and shades up to get fresh air. Can’t do that when someone is parked next to me and is all lit up. Some of you who read this may consider me to be a cranky old man. Maybe you’re right, but I still like to hear from someone who may have an explanation for leaving their outside entry way light on all night.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It is just one of those inexplicable social/norms that defy explanation. It aggravates me also! along with hearing their TV or music late into the night.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We don't do it, some do. Just one of those things.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you the guy that came to my rig a couple weeks ago and knocked on my door at 9:30pm to tell me my light was on?

Turned it off, of course.

I don't leave it on on purpose, just doesn't get turned off sometimes.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #5

As little kids, they slept with a night light on and music playing.

Some of the LED outside spotlights are really annoying to others even parked a long way off because the light sources are so small and intense. Rarely see a rig with inside indicators so quite easy to find the outside lights have been on for weeks.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #6

Never purposly leave mine on but I occasionally forget and when I am in bug country many bugs are gathered near the light. Eeek.

I have, in a very nice way, told neighbors that thier light was shining in my window last night. I have always got an apology and a thanks for pointing that out with no more incidents. I find most RVers are accomodating and want to be good friendly neighbors. Some people just don't know thier light might be a distraction to others.

Generally, I would expect bright lights out time to be in consort with quiet hours. If people ignore quiet hours, well, those same people might not even consider bright lights to be an issue. Just my 2cents worth.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

Maybe they're afraid that the Booger Man will get them!!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #8

Some folks forget to turn the porch light off. Some forget the scare light, or perhaps an auxilliar landing light is needed by the local airport.

For others, the light may have been on when they bought the rig, as was one of the turn signals.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No Arch, that wasn't me. It must have been some other cranky old man.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #10

I leave mine on when my awning is out, mostly so when I go outside in the dark I don't clock my head on the arms. It's happened.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldkarphart View Post
Maybe they're afraid that the Booger Man will get them!!
It's BoogIE Man.. not Boogar Man. Boogar Man sounds like the kid down the block from me that always had snot nose grew up.
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Creepers! I am so sorry! When I take the dogs out for their "last chance potty trip," I sometimes forget to hit the switch to turn it off. Then I get nagged in the morning by my DH. And now am getting nagged by the neighbors. Guess I will just have to brave the dark so as not to piss anybody off.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
I’ve been RV’ing for over ten years and currently I am four weeks into a twelve week trip. I have been very curious as to why people have to leave their outside entry way lights on all night. I live in an area affected by lots of city lights and quite frankly enjoy the lack of lights at night. In my opinion, I find it very annoying to be parked next to a fellow RV’er who leaves their outside entry light all night. I like to sleep with the windows open and shades up to get fresh air. Can’t do that when someone is parked next to me and is all lit up. Some of you who read this may consider me to be a cranky old man. Maybe you’re right, but I still like to hear from someone who may have an explanation for leaving their outside entry way light on all night.
If I'm in a over night parking situation at a WalMart or TS I will leave the porch light on and the step retracted for basic security.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #14

IMO it is usually caused by forgetfulness...... sometimes stupidity.
Often it is difficult two separate the two!
BTW, more than once I have seen that light on while the coach is moving at 60 mph.
That brings up another question:
Why, as my coach gets older is one or other of my turn signals often blinking?
It didn't seem to happen much when my coach was new to me 12 years ago!
LOL

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote