Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 04:57 AM   #15

I have Geico. My rates are fantastic and better than I can find anywhere else. It's just me and my 26 yr old son on it. My truck and little camper and his car. I have not had one issue with their service.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
There WAS a time that long term customer meet something

That no longer exists..hasn't for several years

Had last Ins Agent tell me to cancel current policy and he could rewrite a new one at lower premiums when I questioned why the increases.

So I did...cancelled policy and went with a different ins. company
If they play the 'rate game' I will swap to another one

According to the different commercials ....switch to so & So and save hundreds.
Couple of swaps and one of them is going to be paying me

I 'shop' Ins Coverages/Costs every 3-4 yrs always using the same coverage/deductibles and have no qualms about changing companies.

Home/Auto/RV.
Ain't that the truth! So true with many companies. Cell phone, insurance, satellite TV etv. They all take advantage of you if you are a long term customer. What happened to the Good Old Days?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
rb2

Talk with Good Sams insurance today and Allied/Nationwide is no longer doing RV coverage.
rb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #18

Sorry to say it, but a few years from now you'll be posting the same thing about Progressive. I was with them for many years and they did the same thing to me that Geico did to you. That was after they fought me tooth and nail nitpicking a comp claim when my pickup was hit by a bunch of flying rock that came off a rock-hauling semi coming toward me on a two-lane.

Wish you the best of luck with Flo and Progressive. They'll never see another dime from me. AND I saved about $1400 a year across my insurance by switching to Farmers...and I even have a real agent now.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #19

So many think their insurance agents are their friends and have to learn the hard way, they just want your money. Nothing else. No insurance company can be your friend.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #20
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
"Who is your current insurance company?"

I have seen large increases over the last couple of years with our auto insurance company: over 20%. We have been with them for over a decade.

So, the last two times (6 month policies), I tried doing some comparison shopping. Maybe I did not shop enough, or in the correct places, or maybe I am doing something else wrong. The quotes I was getting were about the same, or even more than our current carrier.

One of the quotes I received was the EXACT same amount right down to the penny!

One of the questions that was always asked by the prospective company was "Who is your current insurance company?"

This last time I asked why the question was needed. I was told they needed this information to prove that I did not have a lapse in insurance coverage. If there was a lapse, the rates they would give me would be higher.

Didn't the health insurance industry do something with pre-existing conditions? If you had a lapse in coverage, they did not want to cover you or something???

Is asking who my current carrier is a legitimate question? Or, is it just a ploy so they can learn who their competitor is and price their offer to me accordingly?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So, do any of "the other" insurance companies pay you what you paid for your RV if it is totaled? Progressive does. The first 5 years is a direct replacement from the same manufacturer. After 5 years they pay you what you paid for it.

Ask me how I know. Well, my 2008 was totaled from Hurricane Harvey last August (2017) I had it 10 years. Progressive paid me what I paid for it. It provided a very nice down payment on my present MH. Yes, I may pay a little more but I do have peace of mind.

Thanks Progressive.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
So, do any of "the other" insurance companies pay you what you paid for your RV if it is totaled?

Ummmm- yes. It's very common and called a "Replacement Coverage" policy. I've had it with a number of different carriers over the last 25 years. It's nothing unusual.

Kind of like Progressive's "Name your Price Tool." Gee, every insurance company will work with you to adjust coverages to fit your budget. Nothing earth shattering about that.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #23

Geico recently cancelled our auto insurance due to SD residence (americas mailbox) they caught on to mail forwarding service and sent a letter we didnt catch right away...switched over to Progressive. Had State Farm prior but short lived money savings swap with Geico over that incident
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #24

I had a chat with my State Farm agent and I asked her how many insured that she has do you think actually read the policy and what it covers and what it does not cover. Her answer was a laugh and said "I could count those people on one hand, and I wouldn't need all of those fingers". "Most don't have a clue until something happens and I have to tell them they are not insured for that. Or they don't have a clue that they have a deductible to meet. Or don't have a clue about depreciation. All they want is to be bearly legal to drive and not have the man in blue take away their drivers license.

Thats sad, really sad.

When we lost our motorhome to fire, I thought I was treated fairly. It was a lot of work proving each and every thing we lost right down to how many pencils were in the motorhome, but in the end, we got what was due to us by our policy.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #25
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
Ummmm- yes. It's very common and called a "Replacement Coverage" policy. I've had it with a number of different carriers over the last 25 years. It's nothing unusual.
From what I understand there are three options:

1) ACV - Actual Cash Value. I believe the adjuster uses the current NADA book value. This is very likely to be a lot less than what you paid.

2) Replacement Coverage. Not sure exactly how this works. Someone else can explain, please.

3) Agreed Value. This is a dollar amount that is written in the policy. They will repair the unit up to this value. If the unit is totaled, then they will pay this. I believe the dollar value must be backed up by a) Proof of what you paid for the unit, or b) an Appraisal of the unit (before any damage occurred).

Agreed value has the benefit of having a pre-determined value instead of what the "current market value" may be some time in the future. Also, if lots of improvements have been made and/or the unit is in exceptionally fine condition (above NADA value), this would improve the outcome for the insured (you).

If any of this is incorrect, feel free to comment.

BTW, I currently have an Agreed Value policy for my coach with Safeco.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
2) Replacement Coverage. Not sure exactly how this works. Someone else can explain, please.
When I had New Replacement Coverage it would cover the new cost of an RV that was the same or similar in the latest model year. Those policies were limited in years...3 years up to 5 years was about it. And I imagine one would be arguing on what was the same or similar, so you'd have to keep the original documentation of what you had (features, options, etc).

I currently have the agreed-to value coverage through Farmers/Foremost which I like better. No arguing as it's just a fixed payment already agreed to in the case of a total loss regardless of what the unit may actually be worth based on books or in the marketplace, or what a new replacement would cost. The more you have it insured for, the more your policy costs.

No insurance company just "gives" you anything. It all costs.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I had a chat with my State Farm agent and I asked her how many insured that she has do you think actually read the policy and what it covers and what it does not cover. Her answer was a laugh and said "I could count those people on one hand, and I wouldn't need all of those fingers". "Most don't have a clue until something happens and I have to tell them they are not insured for that. Or they don't have a clue that they have a deductible to meet. Or don't have a clue about depreciation. All they want is to be barely legal to drive and not have the man in blue take away their drivers license.
Been with Nationwide for a veeeeeery long time (40 years). Wife had one chargeable accident 25+ years ago, yet they keep increasing our rate. Looked into Farmers last year for (2 vehicles, RV trailer, home & Umbrella) Was 15% less, but I said I wanted to see the actual policy. He said the coverage was the same....When reading into the policy...It was not...there were many things no longer covered, or you had to purchase a rider. I turned it down. I need to get my rear end in gear and hunt for a new insurance policy.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Looked into Farmers last year for (2 vehicles, RV trailer, home & Umbrella) Was 15% less, but I said I wanted to see the actual policy. He said the coverage was the same....When reading into the policy...It was not...there were many things no longer covered, or you had to purchase a rider.
Reading insurance stories is always interesting. I read my policies when I switched to Farmers and it was actually better (than Progressive and my Homeowners with another company) with a lot lower cost. The devil is always in the details and you do have to actually READ the policies to see if they have exclusions or gaps in coverage. On Farmer's, I did find one item missing in the homeowners that I had to buy a rider separately for (septic system backup), but the cost was so low, it was still WAY less cost and I actually gained in some other areas, such as complete roof replacement if an area is damaged vs only fixing the damaged area (and then your shingles old to new may not match).