Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll use the left lane when the right is really bad but I keep a close eye behind me and if anybody is evenly remotely coming up on me me I go back to the right lane.

I40 comes to mind heading east towards Arizona.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #16

Then there are those who drive in left lane no matter what speed, (usually slow)
and never attempt to move out of the way at all. No courtesy to it. This occurs in all states.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #17

I hate running in the left lane but there are a handful of stretches of highway here in California where even at 50mph the pounding is so wicked I've gone to running in the left lane for those few miles.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
People aren't kidding about the washboarded roads in CA. The I-10 around Banning west is horrible in the right two lanes. The left lanes aren't all that stellar either.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
The tractor trailers are not permitted in the left 2 lanes. Sometimes they are slower & sometimes the same or faster.
This is probably the dumbest restriction placed on trucks that i know of. Why would you restrict a semi weighing 80,000lbs to the 2 right lanes where traffic merges on and off and four wheelers waiting till the last second to get to the exit ramp. Here is an idea, why not allow the semi's to run the left lane? It would probably ease some of the congestion around the bigger cities. After all the majority of them are just passing thru.

I am not a left lane runner unless I am passing someone. I tend to stay out of the way of the faster moving traffic.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I travel in the right hand lane on four lane highways, always on the right on a two lane highway, and when I get into the city with more than two lanes, I stay out of the right hand lane as much as possible to avoid those oncoming dumb dumb drivers that do not know how to get up-to-speed.

Typically, everyone is going faster on the highway than I am. If I notice I'm holding up a few cars or more, as soon as I can safely do so, and without a lot of trouble doing so, I'll pull over and let them go by. It only takes about 30 seconds of my time.

My biggest gripe are those people on cell phones while driving that have no idea of what is going on around their vehicle. Regardless of which lane they re in they are going 10-15 miles below the speed limit, just because they are not aware, and because they are to dumb to put the vehicle on cruise control at the speed limit.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I will confess to running in the left hand lane when the right is too washboarded, but I also confess to being one of those drivers who is CONSTANTLY checking forward, aft, and in both mirrors and rear-view camera in order to stay on top of traffic around me (this is ancient habit.) I always pull over in plenty of time to let others pass.

Cell phones are such pernicious driving hazards ; they cause people to turn off about 3/4 of their brain and it unplugs their driving-habit center. Its odd to me, since you can speak with someone in the car with minimal distractions, but put that someone on the other end of a cellphone... bam, you're gone.

I'd love to see the brainwave pattern of someone in a cellphone conversation vs. a live conversation.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Ohio has no 'Left Lane except to Pass' law, so passing on the right is legal.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #23

Arkansas used to have signs for the truckers: "Truckers Use Left Lane to Equalize Wear." Unfortunately, they were in the weigh stations and were never seen by the general public, so they didn't know about it.

Texas has a law reserving the left lane for passing, and I HAVE seen it enforced.

But just as a point of law, exceeding the speed limit does not give you title to the left lane. Of course, there's almost nowhere in Texas my truck can do the speed limit, let alone exceed it. So, if I'm in the left lane, I AM passing someone, even if I'm not passing them as fast as other drivers would like. Or I'm obeying the law requiring vehicles to move over if they approach a stopped emergency or law enforcement vehicle. I've had more than one driver come up behind me, get unhappy, jump in the right lane just as we got to the police officer...and get chased down for it.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know about other states, but in Michigan a lot of the freeways have a left lane exit to get on to other freeways/roads. When that is the case, with a RV (Motor home/Trailer,etc) or a truck you must get to the left lane within a reasonable time (depending on traffic) or you will not make the exit.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #25

I'm left-handed so it's a natural tendency to favor the left side.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I never run the right lane because of the fools that do not understand what merge means. Last week in central Maine I was in the right lane at an inter change an SUV accelerated to speed he was just behind the door, turned on his signals and started to pull over never once looked over and had no idea I was there, there was a truck on my left I hit the air horn he hit the brakes and gave me the finger. After he got on he sped up passed me and pulled in front and slammed on his brakes giving me the finger again then sped off. Not before I got his tag #. Called 911 gave them the mile number, tag and description of the incident. 4 miles later I passed him pulled over by the state trooper. Waved and kept going. Karma's a bitch.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, so far the most common reason for you folks to hang in the left lane is torn up pavement in the right lane. Been there. Seems legit to me. Also seems that most of you are considerate of those behind you and get out of the way with someone on your tail. I know that there a lot of folks out there that just hang in the left lane no matter what, can we hear from you?

I hear ya about merging fools in the right lane, or even just heavy merging traffic, particularly where the ramps are coming quick in an urban setting and a whole row of folks are trying to merge. That is where I like it when there are 3 lanes where I can get in the middle lane until things get a bit more rural and I feel comfortable in the right lane again.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Ok, so far the most common reason for you folks to hang in the left lane is torn up pavement in the right lane. Been there. Seems legit to me. Also seems that most of you are considerate of those behind you and get out of the way with someone on your tail. I know that there a lot of folks out there that just hang in the left lane no matter what, can we hear from you?

I hear ya about merging fools in the right lane, or even just heavy merging traffic, particularly where the ramps are coming quick in an urban setting and a whole row of folks are trying to merge. That is where I like it when there are 3 lanes where I can get in the middle lane until things get a bit more rural and I feel comfortable in the right lane again.
In a three lane urban situation, I think your RV is safest in the middle lane; people can pass on either side of you if necessary, you don't murder any idiots trying to merge or get off and you can probably keep speed close enough to the flow of traffic to not be a hazard, just a minor annoyance.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote