Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #43

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
When I drive the left lane it is because it is safer! No one doing the terrible job of merging into the traffic. No one slowing in the traffic in anticipation of exiting. Only one lane to worry about at my side as few people are going to be using the shoulder to the left I am able to be just that small amount more relaxed and focus my attention on only my lane and the one to my right. When I do this I am usually doing the speed limit or even slightly above. If you want to speed, don't expect me to help you out and give you free access to your own lane! If I am slowing several behind me I will move! Otherwise move over and go around as traffic allows! When traffic is 70 MPH and bumper to bumper and you leave a safer stopping distance between you and the next car, todays drivers always fill that space! I will take every precaution I can! The left lane works!
While I agree the left lane is usually safer, most, if not all, States have laws stating that slower traffic must keep to the right and/or that it is illegal to unnecessarily obstruct traffic. There is nothing stated that you are exempted because you are doing the speed limit and the faster traffic is speeding. While it is commendable that you will move over if several people back up behind you, you still are in the wrong. If anyone has to pass you on the right, you are in the wrong lane and need to move to the right. Otherwise, you are a traffic hazard. I guarantee if you drive like you say you do in CA and the gendarmes see it, you will get a ticket.

I know it's annoying to have other driver's occupy the safe zone you are trying to maintain in front of you. If that happens, just back off so you can maintain that space. If it takes you longer to get where you are going because of that, start out earlier. It's not worth getting worked up over it.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #44

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Also, a number of states have a split speed limit for trucks. CA is the worst of them. Ever seen what a car doing 75 looks like after it's hit a truck doing 55? And here's the scary part...his accident's not over, because he's STILL going 55. CA is one of the few states where the car/truck fatality rate has risen in recent years, I understand. Most truckers blame the silly speed limit law.
If a car is doing 75 in CA, it is speeding. The maximum speed limit on the Interstates is 70; 65 in urban areas.

I rarely see trucks doing 55. Most set their cruise controls for 64 although it's not unusual to have one pass me when I'm doing 70.

Btw, the 55 limit also applies to cars and trucks pulling trailers.

In AZ, the maximum speed limit for freeways is 75, 65 again in urban areas, unless otherwise posted. There is no split speed limit.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
WOW, as I read all of the post, that most of you are left laners. We have traveled back and forth across this Great Country of ours and I agree with most of what has been posted, that our roads are in bad shape in a lot of this country.
What concerns I have is, how save is it to be going 5, 10 or 15 MPH over the posted speed limit with RV's that for the most part were made for being parked in a camp ground some where.
As much as I would like to say 70-80 mph will not damage a RV I just can't. A few people have stated "I don't drive in the right lane in this State because it gets petty bad that the RV feels like it could fall apart." Hit a pot hole doing 70-80 mph and guess what is happening to your RV.
I spoke with a engineer from a Major Motor Home Company and he said MOST RV's are not made for what WE do to them, we drive them down the road to fast, we take them over some very uneven unpaved roads and we use them more than they were designed for.
The last one got me. I asked him what do you mean by that. His response was they design RV to be used 6-8 weeks per year.
I travel in the right lane and travel 58-62 mph and put up with the folks that do not know how to get on or off the highways.
What manufacturer said that?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
What manufacturer said that?
I don't think you'll get an answer to THAT, Chuck. Readandlearn stated he spoke to an "engineer" from a "Major Manufacturer", Not necessarily a "representative" of that manufacturer. If an engineer publically stated that view, he'd be out of a job! Most manufacturers, I think, do state in their 'owners manuals' that the units are not constructed for 'full time use', or words to that effect. To my knowledge, none would be willing to state in ANY WORDS, that their products aren't made to travel down the road either towed or under their own power.

This thread is getting away maybe from what the original poster's intent. I think he was wanting to know "other's opinions". When you get a poster saying He drives 'as fast as he wants to' and those that are going slower better 'get out of his way',... [Moderator Edit] Some of us are picking laws that they want everyone else to obey while, in their mind, it's OK to ignore others.
michigancamper
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
michigancamper is right on the money about not saying which manufacturer it was, but it was at the Atantic City Show in 05 where we purchased our current DP vehicle.
We were talking about upgrading from a 03 Gas Southwind to Diesel as we were going to Travel 7-11 months per year. He told us what he would buy if he was going to do what we had plans for, including 1 vehicle his company made.
We look for that model in camp grounds and have not found to many and it is/was a very popular brand and model.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I see a lot of folks prefer to drive in the left lane of a four or five lane road, even if they are not passing or turning left ahead. They must just seem more comfortable there. I even have seen five in a row in the left lane going below the speed limit, with no one in the right lane. And as I observe, it is not just a few folks, but a strong minority of drivers. I am not speaking so much of driving RV's on the interstates, just four wheelers driving on local connectors and highways. While I have issues with this driving technique, my purpose with this thread is not to start a flame war but to better understand the logic, simply so I can relax more and say to myself, ok, there is a logical reason they drive differently from me, let it go.

So, are any of you left laners willing to share why you prefer the left lane? Help me out here if you would. And if is just "I can drive where I want", that is ok too.

Actually, my DW often accuses me of driving in the left lane, which is often true. But then I point out that I am usually going at least plus 5 or I am passing someone, or I see a line of slow right lane traffic ahead. Personally, I get real uncomfortable when I know someone is on my tail and I am holding them up, I can't wait to move over and let them pass, but that is just me.

I know this can be a divisive topic, if you don't think so, just Google "driving in left lane" and read some of the opinions folks post, both from right laners and left laners. Please don't make the moderators step in to stop any name calling.

Thanks.
I have wondered the same thing
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
When I do this (drive in the left lane), I am usually doing the speed limit or even slightly above. If you want to speed, don't expect me to help you out and give you free access to your own lane!
As was stated earlier, Texas has a "Left Lane for Passing Only" law. There are still signs around that precede that law which state "Slower Traffic Keep Right". Please note that the latter signs do NOT say "....Unless You're Driving the Speed Limit or Even Slightly Above" - if you're slower, move over. Texas can and will ticket you for impeding the flow of traffic.

The speed limit on sections of I-10 and I-20 in West Texas is 80 MPH. There are studies under way to raise it to 85 MPH. I wouldn't suggest being caught sitting in the left lane out there.

Quote:

Gov. Rick Perry signed into law June 17 a bill, HB 1201, to raise the state's maximum speed limit from 80 to 85 mph.

The new law authorizes the Texas Transportation Commission to establish a speed limit not to exceed 85 mph on a part of the state highway system if it is "designed to accommodate travel at that established speed or a higher speed" and if the commission determines -- after an engineering and traffic investigation -- that the established speed limit is "reasonable and safe."

Last month, Perry signed into law HB 1353, which eliminates the 65 mph nighttime speed limit. This new law requires one speed limit to be posted applicable to both daytime and nighttime, matching in the practice in nearly every other state. It also eliminates lower speed limits for trucks and vehicles towing trailers.

Previous to enactment of these two laws, Texas has had one of the most complex speed-limit laws in the nation. The maximum 80 mph limit was authorized only on parts of Interstate 10 and Interstate 20 in West Texas. A 75 mph maximum speed limit applied to rural counties with a population density of less than 15 people per square mile. A 70 mph maximum limit was established for highways in all other counties.

HB 1201 contained an emergency clause and went into effect immediately June 17. HB 1353 takes effect Sept. 1.
Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #50

There are a few areas it seems like trucks go to the center lane and stay there. Twin cities in mn and Phoenix come to mind.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
California has impeding traffic law also, and can issue a citation for doing so, regardless of speed limit. Slower traffic, keep right except for passing.

dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Illinois also, but I don't think they press it. It ought to be the law in all 50
I am as gulity as anyone for doing this in my car.
I'd be ok with the enforcing the law if the right lanes were smooth enough so it couldn't be used for suspension testing.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
As was stated earlier, Texas has a "Left Lane for Passing Only" law. There are still signs around that precede that law which state "Slower Traffic Keep Right". Please note that the latter signs do NOT say "....Unless You're Driving the Speed Limit or Even Slightly Above" - if you're slower, move over. Texas can and will ticket you for impeding the flow of traffic.

The speed limit on sections of I-10 and I-20 in West Texas is 80 MPH. There are studies under way to raise it to 85 MPH. I wouldn't suggest being caught sitting in the left lane out there.

Rusty
When I answered the original question the left lane for passing only had not entered into the picture. I realize it is not up to me to decide who will or who will not be allowed to break the law. If I happen to be in the left lane on a busy interstate and you want to go 1 mph faster than I then I will allow you to go around me on my right and have no problem with it. Truth is that I may still be within the law if I stay there. After all there is several lanes of traffic to my right and I could make the argument the if I am to safely follow the cars/cars in front and I find myself gaining on a 3 to 4 second interval between us then I am in a passing situation and by law I belong in the left lane. The national safety Counsel says it takes a vehicle 388ft to stop when doing 70mph, 433 when @ 75 and 345 @ 65. What that means is if you drive a car that is approx 17' long you would need to follow somewhere around 20 car lengths to be able to safely stop should traffic ahead have an emergency. Find me a fully used interstate in the country that has three or more lanes on it that I would not be in a constant state of passing someone! Therefore if I am in the left lane I am just as legal as almost everyone on the road! And i submit the guy that is behind me speeding has no more right to be there than I. After all I am legally passing!
Beyond that I am not presently in Texas, or any state that posts the left lane requires it only as a passing lane!
Although the truth is I am just having a bit of fun with the subject as I am quite aware that any opinion I may present will be disputed!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Although the truth is I am just having a bit of fun with the subject as I am quite aware that any opinion I may present will be disputed!
Unfortunately, your dispute might well be with the individual in the funny-looking black and white car, and that gets expensive. It's not worth debating, just trying to make everyone aware of the potential consequences of camping out in the left lane here in Texas.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #55

If we are being tailgated in the MH I have the wife open the fresh water dump valve until the offender leaves. If in our toad or pickup I -when safe to do so-- put the outside wheels on the shoulder and throw gravel behind me. They leave REALLY quick!! If they still won't leave I slow w-a-a-y down. They eventually get tired of following us and then pass us while "saluting" us as if we were the ones doing something wrong.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've known several very intelligent (or inconsiderate) people that are "left lane hogs". They bought that lane with their taxes and it's only theirs. Never look in rear view mirror and couldn't care less how many they are holding up. I call them (to myself) NON-Thinkers. It's much more prevalent today than 30 years ago.