Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
If we are being tailgated in the MH I have the wife open the fresh water dump valve until the offender leaves. If in our toad or pickup I -when safe to do so-- put the outside wheels on the shoulder and throw gravel behind me. They leave REALLY quick!! If they still won't leave I slow w-a-a-y down. They eventually get tired of following us and then pass us while "saluting" us as if we were the ones doing something wrong.
I like it. You must be or were a truck driver>>

jack

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
There used to be signs on the main Highways that said " A Courteous Driver Will Not Impede those who would Drive at the Posted Speed... Please Move Over!" I haven't seen those signs for some time! I guess there were too many words to read at once! Or Maybe too many Drivers who can't read the Language!

In any event I believe that Common Sense and Courtesy should rule the Roads and apparently there isn't much of that around anymore!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #59

Cool

Towing or not, you will find me in the right lane 99.99% of the time. I drive at a max.of 60 mph while towing & at the speed limit (conditions permitting, of course!) & I'll happily wave to you as you blast by me at 10-15 above the limit. In the overall scheme of life, what exactly does it matter that you reach your destination a few minutes before I do?

Now, once again, back to my relaxation mode. See ya when I get there. jodann
Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodann View Post
Towing or not, you will find me in the right lane 99.99% of the time. I drive at a max.of 60 mph while towing & at the speed limit (conditions permitting, of course!) & I'll happily wave to you as you blast by me at 10-15 above the limit. In the overall scheme of life, what exactly does it matter that you reach your destination a few minutes before I do?

Now, once again, back to my relaxation mode. See ya when I get there. jodann
I've found that no matter what speed I drive, people coming out on the highway, think a motor home can stop on a dime for some reason. Therefore, I try to drive in the middle lane, if one exists. These same people think that merging traffic is the same as a yield sign for those already on the highway. Expect the unexpected is my motto. You just never know what the other guy is going to do.
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #61

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
This is probably the dumbest restriction placed on trucks that i know of. Why would you restrict a semi weighing 80,000lbs to the 2 right lanes where traffic merges on and off and four wheelers waiting till the last second to get to the exit ramp. Here is an idea, why not allow the semi's to run the left lane? It would probably ease some of the congestion around the bigger cities. After all the majority of them are just passing thru.

I am not a left lane runner unless I am passing someone. I tend to stay out of the way of the faster moving traffic.
It isn't so dumb if you take a second and think about it, or drive through Charlotte in rush hour. If you are driving north on I-77 you have two interstates that exit off to the right. The traffic is pretty heavy and trucks cannot get into the right lanes to exit through the bumper to bumper traffic. It is a lot easier for the trucker to get onto the other interstates and easier for the merging traffic to get ahead of, or behind the slower trucks when they stay right.

If you are going around Charlotte on the bypass as you suggest, you will find the trucks aren't bothered when they drive in the other lanes.

But no matter where they are, some idiot in a sports car with a cell phone growing out of his ear will still cut in and out.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #62

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
If we are being tailgated in the MH I have the wife open the fresh water dump valve until the offender leaves. If in our toad or pickup I -when safe to do so-- put the outside wheels on the shoulder and throw gravel behind me. They leave REALLY quick!! If they still won't leave I slow w-a-a-y down. They eventually get tired of following us and then pass us while "saluting" us as if we were the ones doing something wrong.
Could it be you were doing something wrong? Gradually slowing down so the tailgater has more time to stop in an emergency make sense but the others tactics you described can cause an accident and/or property damage and most likely will incite serious road rage.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #63

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
...If I happen to be in the left lane on a busy interstate and you want to go 1 mph faster than I then I will allow you to go around me on my right and have no problem with it...
Mighty generous of you but if the law states slower traffic keep to the right, then you would be wrong.

Just curious; are you a lawyer?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
There used to be signs on the main Highways that said " A Courteous Driver Will Not Impede those who would Drive at the Posted Speed... Please Move Over!" I haven't seen those signs for some time! I guess there were too many words to read at once! Or Maybe too many Drivers who can't read the Language!

In any event I believe that Common Sense and Courtesy should rule the Roads and apparently there isn't much of that around anymore!
Let's resurrect those in Burma Shave sign style:
A Courteous Driver
Will Not Impede
Those Who Would Drive
At The Posted Speed
Please Move Over
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #65

Quote:

So you think the best solution is to intentionally damage someone's car because you think they're following too close? Not cool. You must be one of those who thinks anyone going faster than you is a fool, and anyone going slower is an idiot...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Found this page that has a listing of state laws regarding driving in the left lane. Just thought you might find it interesting.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #67

They get in the lane on cruise then snooze.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
So you think the best solution is to intentionally damage someone's car because you think they're following too close? Not cool. You must be one of those who thinks anyone going faster than you is a fool, and anyone going slower is an idiot...
No. 1: I is not a damn ( to quote you). When someone tailgates me and puts my life, and my wife's life, in jeopardy I think I have to get off the road away from the tailgater. I do so the first chance I get. Here in Wisconsin we have a lot of large brown animals that wander across the highways at night. They are called whitetail deer. Twice I had to do panic stops and got rear-ended because the idiots behind me couldn't stop in time. (one was drinking and the other was on a cell phone)
No. 2: Anyone that wants to go faster than me is welcome to it. I drive the speed limit plus about 5MPH, depending on road, weather, and traffic conditions.
No. 3: If someone wants to go slower than me they are not idiots but merely driving within their capabilities so leave them alone. A lot of elderly people slow down their speed as they feel their reaction time has deteriorated so give them some consideration.
No. 4: To respond to ladyfritz's comment I would rather dump some fresh water on someone rather than have them rearend my MH and cause loss of life (theirs--or ours) due to them being unable to brake in time because they are in a "blind spot" due to being too close.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #69

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
...No. 4: To respond to ladyfritz's comment I would rather dump some fresh water on someone rather than have them rearend my MH and cause loss of life (theirs--or ours) due to them being unable to brake in time because they are in a "blind spot" due to being too close.
I fully agree having someone tailgate you is dangerous but taking childish measures like dumping water or spraying gravel is creating an even more dangerous situation. Water on the road can create a slippery condition that could cause an accident. If the water gets on the tailgater's windshield, it could momentarily reduce the idiot's vision enough to cause an accident. Then there is the potential for road rage. Many drivers are armed. Dumping water on someone may enrage them enough to shoot at you or your RV. Deliberately spraying gravel on someone will almost guarantee you will have an enraged driver to deal with. The goof may not shoot at you but you will be having to deal with someone who is no longer rational. You would also be liable for any damage the gravel did (granted, it may be hard to prove in court but you still have to go through defending yourself).

There are far safer ways to deal with tailgaters. The first and easiest is to gently tap on the brake pedal several times to flash the brake lights (don't try scaring the tailgater by braking suddenly). Sometimes that is all that is needed to wake up the moron. If that doesn't work, gradually slow down until the jerk passes you. If that doesn't work, pull off the road. Just watch to make sure the clown actually passes and doesn't also stop. If the nut does stop, immediately get back on the road and call for help.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #70

From MIT

When drivers choose to block the left lane, whether intentionally or not, they are making the roads less safe and efficient for everyone.

Here are some of the benefits you and the other drivers on the road will notice if you keep the left lane open for passing:

1) You're Less Likely To Be In An Accident
By not obstructing other drivers, traffic is able to flow more smoothly. When traffic flows smoothly, there is less tailgating, less weaving in-and-out of traffic, and therefore fewer accidents.

2) You'll Get Better Gas Mileage
Lane courtesy promotes the smooth flow of traffic and helps drivers maintain an even pace. Vehicles use the most gas when accelerating. Less braking followed by acceleration will improve fuel economy.

3) You'll Get To Your Destination Faster
Yielding to faster traffic reduces congestion. When traffic is flowing smoothly, highway capacity can be utilized to the fullest extent.

4) You Will Not Have To Deal With Road Rage
There's little doubt that "left lane hogs" are a source of irritation for many drivers. The courteous act of moving to the right can eliminate driver stress and conflict.