Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #71
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
No. 1: I is not a damn ( to quote you). When someone tailgates me and puts my life, and my wife's life, in jeopardy I think I have to get off the road away from the tailgater. I do so the first chance I get. Here in Wisconsin we have a lot of large brown animals that wander across the highways at night. They are called whitetail deer. Twice I had to do panic stops and got rear-ended because the idiots behind me couldn't stop in time. (one was drinking and the other was on a cell phone)
No. 2: Anyone that wants to go faster than me is welcome to it. I drive the speed limit plus about 5MPH, depending on road, weather, and traffic conditions.
No. 3: If someone wants to go slower than me they are not idiots but merely driving within their capabilities so leave them alone. A lot of elderly people slow down their speed as they feel their reaction time has deteriorated so give them some consideration.
No. 4: To respond to ladyfritz's comment I would rather dump some fresh water on someone rather than have them rearend my MH and cause loss of life (theirs--or ours) due to them being unable to brake in time because they are in a "blind spot" due to being too close.
I do not beleive he was calling you a fool he said
Quote:
You must be one of those who thinks anyone going faster than you is a fool

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
If we are being tailgated in the MH I have the wife open the fresh water dump valve until the offender leaves. If in our toad or pickup I -when safe to do so-- put the outside wheels on the shoulder and throw gravel behind me. They leave REALLY quick!! If they still won't leave I slow w-a-a-y down. They eventually get tired of following us and then pass us while "saluting" us as if we were the ones doing something wrong.
Hmm, my fresh water dump valve is outside.

Hitehawk, so, do you normally travel in the left lane? Not sure from your post.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very interesting thread, but it appears most think it is ok to speed. Yes I do it from time to time, but do not accept it as my right to do so regardless of the lane I am driving in.

I am a firm believer in the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" and I don't care if it is a law of just common sence, it is a good policy and many more drivers of all rigs need to heed it.

In my car and truck I obey the posted speed limit and keep right except to pass. In my MH I obey the speed limit up to 60 MPH which is my self imposed speed limit for the MH and I keep right except to pass and yes I do make a few passes while in the MH. Very rough lanes will have me move to the left, but not on two lane roads, I slow down and stay right.

As for the people that jump over two and three lanes to make an exit, or are driving 45 MPH as they merge into traffic moving at 60 or more MPH, they will always be out there, so take a deep breath and hope they only kill themselves with their actions. Same for the Cell Phone talkers/texters, they are here to stay and passing new laws will not make any of them go away, except it and drive with caution doing your part to be as safe as possible.
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last year I took a trip down the east coast to Florida. It was like an RV Funeral Procession from Canada to Florida.
Most everyone was in the right hand lane just poking along hauling house plants, patio funiture, boats, cars and all sorts of stuff. It was an interesting sight. I must say everyone was very well behaved.
I'm pretty sure I was back in California before most made it to their destination. Like most have said, Heck,I'm retired and have all the time in the world, why rush ?
Me, I'm 76, so I have to pick up the pace if I want to get everything done before I go to room temperature !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #75

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Idiot drivers in Colorado and Nebraska have a strange game they like to play. Last week DW and I drove from AZ to MN and back in her Accord. I stayed in the left lane most of the way because I was passing trucks regularly. If someone came up behind me going faster I would pull over and let them by. The game they played was to pull up behind us going a little faster. When I would pull over they would pull up so their right front was at my left rear. They would plant themselves there. They would maintain whatever speed I was driving and not let me pull left to pass slower vehicles. This happened at least a dozen times, always cars with local plates. The only way to get by them was slow way down , then try to drag race them to get ahead enough to pull left. That made for a very stressfull drive.

Glenn
Old 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #76

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not always. Many times the drivers that block the left lane are on their cell phones or similarly distracted. I do admit that far too many people drive in the left lane at less than the flow of traffic in that lane. That is dangerous.

What amazes me is that the things people do to the left lane drivers also happen to those of us who rarely leave the right lane. I've had people tailgate me so tightly in the right lane that I can see their whole car in my backup camera - when there wasn't another car in sight on a divided highway. About 3-4 times per trip, I have to signal and move to the inner lane and step on the brake pedal to get the tailgater to pass me on the right. I know that it isn't the best solution but I have no tolerance for allowing people to tailgate for no reason. I've even had a tailgater or two follow me to the left lane when I moved there to get rid of them and then move back with me to the right lane instead of staying out there and passing me. And I never do any of this without at least turning on the 4 way flashers or slowing down a little or both.

In general, I want anyone that wants to go faster than I am to be in front of me. I'll do whatever I can to help them get there. But all of the posts about the danger of slow left lane drivers also apply to those who want to push others down the road in the right lane. If it isn't safe in one lane, it isn't safe in the other and the only difference is the vehicle who is causing the problem.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #77

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Idiot drivers in Colorado and Nebraska have a strange game they like to play. Last week DW and I drove from AZ to MN and back in her Accord. I stayed in the left lane most of the way because I was passing trucks regularly. If someone came up behind me going faster I would pull over and let them by. The game they played was to pull up behind us going a little faster. When I would pull over they would pull up so their right front was at my left rear. They would plant themselves there. They would maintain whatever speed I was driving and not let me pull left to pass slower vehicles. This happened at least a dozen times, always cars with local plates. The only way to get by them was slow way down , then try to drag race them to get ahead enough to pull left. That made for a very stressfull drive.

Glenn
I tend to get them on my right rear corner more than the left. My polite name for those clods is Pacers since the seem to pacing themselves on me instead of using their speedometers or speed controls (yeah, I know, novel concept). It is maddening.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post

Glenn
I am confused as to why they would be pacing you deliberately. How long do you let them tailgate you before you move over? I try to get out of their way before they ever get on my behind.

On the other hand, some folks just aren't happy with someone in front, and will even slow down once the coast is clear. I see this on 2 lane roads where they have added a passing lane for a mile or so. You come up beind someone going just under the limit, and as soon as the passing lane appears, they speed up by at least 5 mph until the end of the passing lane, in effect blocking you, where they then slow to just under the limit again. They let only a few pedal-to-the-metal cars pass. Drives me nuts.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #79

iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had eejits pull up behind me and homestead on my back bumper even though there is an empty lane to my left or even on both sides. But when I change lanes to get rid of them, they speed up and pass me, still in the same lane. Why on Earth are they unable to change lanes themselves? Maybe someone needs to tell them the big round thingie they have a death grip on is called a steering wheel...are you ready for this?...it STEERS THE CAR!

Then there is the clown behind you who, while you are waiting with your turn signal on for a hole in the lane next to you to catch up to you, pulls into the hole and cuts you off. There should be a special place below reserved for them.

One that has mystified me for some time is when you are driving along and you have to change lanes because your lanes peters out or becomes a forced exit. You've had your signal on and as soon as a hole opens up, you merge smoothly over and match your speed to the vehicle ahead of you. Inevitably, the dingaling several car lengths back will continue to bear down on you until the dope is hugging your back bumper for a while before finally backing off. I thought maybe it was because they didn't want to disengage their speed control but no, it can't be that because people never use their speed controls at times when they should be.

Today was interesting. I had to take AZ 202 to the I-10, then up the I-17 to get to a doctor's appointment. Both driving there and back, I spent most of the time in the far right lane passing everyone up in the inner lanes. I've never had that happen before on such a grand scale. Traffic everywhere felt strange. I had others tell me the same thing. Mayhap it had something to do with the start of school today.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #80

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I am confused as to why they would be pacing you deliberately. How long do you let them tailgate you before you move over? I try to get out of their way before they ever get on my behind.

On the other hand, some folks just aren't happy with someone in front, and will even slow down once the coast is clear. I see this on 2 lane roads where they have added a passing lane for a mile or so. You come up beind someone going just under the limit, and as soon as the passing lane appears, they speed up by at least 5 mph until the end of the passing lane, in effect blocking you, where they then slow to just under the limit again. They let only a few pedal-to-the-metal cars pass. Drives me nuts.
My guess is they are zoned out and aren't doing it consciously. Losing them isn't easy since they speed up and slow down at the same rate I do. Technically, they aren't tailgating because they are in another lane but it's still annoying. If I have another lane I can put between me and them, I will, otherwise I don't know what to do about it. If I have to get into the lane they are in, I have to slow down a bit to open up some space, then drop the hammer and dart in before they know what I'm doing. Curiously enough, after I've done that, they usually back off to a respectable distance.

The clowns who speed up when I try to pass them are one reason I love my F150 Screw with 3.73 gears and a 5.4. It's a bit of a slug off the line but when doing 40 and above, when I drop the hammer, the old girl suddenly comes to life and is past them in a heartbeat (the odd thing is I don't accelerate much faster off the line at full throttle than when I ease out; fortunately I rarely need to so I normally take off at a less "fuelish" rate). I hate doing that since it is hard on the truck and guzzles go juice. Fortunately, I rarely have to.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another fun thing is turning on your left directionals and look in your mirrior and watch them speed up. On more than one occasion I have let them get alonside the Toad before moving to my left. Only a few brave souls have toughed it out long enough to get into the dirt. Most see an empty car pulling into them and give up the game.
When I don't feel like playing, I check my left mirror to make sure no one is near to me and turn on my left turn signal and pull to the left at the same time thereby concluding the game before it starts. Just saying !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #82

Rarely will we get into the left lane. I think once last year due to an accident in the right lane. I normally travel in the right lane unless there are a lot of on/off ramps and there are enough lanes (3 or more) for me to get over. If, as some have stated, the right lane is rough I will slow down a bit. We are retired, have no deadlines or appointments or schedule to follow so we relax and enjoy the slower pace. When driving a large MH and towing a vehicle it is usually more effort changing lanes for a couple of MPHs than it is worth. I leave the far left lanes to the speeders, the inconsiderate tailgaters, the rectums on their cell phones or putting on makeup. Life is too short and there are so many things to see to have to spend most of our travel worrying about the LL idiots.

I can always spot tailgaters. Their brake lights flash a lot compared to someone following at a safe distance. These "Richard Craniums" start a domino effect for all those behind them as the followers will hit their brakes in anticipation.

Stay right and be right as it is more relaxing. When you get to your destination you can talk about the great scenery you saw rather than what an idiot/rectum/Richard Cranium was doing in front of you.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #83

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
If it's a 2 lane road, I stick to the right lane, if it's a 3 lane road then I stick to the middle lane. Only use the left lane to pass, as in Michigan you can get ticketed for riding in the left lane, and I do not plan on getting my first ticket for riding in the left lane. I know where there are bumps and pot holes so then yes I will change lanes to avoid them.
But If you are cruising 65 in the left lane, next to a semi doing 63, which happens often. Then that thats when I start to get a little upset.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #84

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
I guess I should clarify my earlier statement. CA roads suck.. and the truckers lanes are the worst. On divided highways with 2 lanes in each direction, I'll only travel the left lane when there is no traffic behind me.. and if there is.. I'll move over to let it pass.

When there are more than two lanes in my direction, I have no issue moving to one of the middle lanes. If traffic hacks up behind me.. I move right. Should have said that the first time.. but.....