Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #29

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
This is probably the dumbest restriction placed on trucks that i know of. Why would you restrict a semi weighing 80,000lbs to the 2 right lanes where traffic merges on and off and four wheelers waiting till the last second to get to the exit ramp. Here is an idea, why not allow the semi's to run the left lane? It would probably ease some of the congestion around the bigger cities. After all the majority of them are just passing thru...
Because trucks typically drive slower than the speed limit. If allowed to use all the lanes, there would far worse congestion than there is now. It also limits the extra wear and tear to those lanes (I don't know if that was their intent, though). They are given the second lane for passing if they actually need to and to avoid merging traffic.

I don't know if CA does it or not but a few years ago, AZ repaved the right hand lanes on a stretch of the I-10 by ripping up the pavement and underlayment, deepening it, pouring concrete, then putting a top coat of asphalt on both lanes. I'm assuming it was to accommodate the increased wear and tear caused by the heavier trucks in that lane.

As long as I'm not getting in the way (which I frequently would since I'm one of those rare people who avoid exceeding the speed limit), I avoid the far right lane because of the incredible morons who enter the freeway at speeds considerably below traffic speed.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Oregon law is stay in the right lane unless passing and it seems to hold true in most areas - except cities and rush hours. Most often if a car is in the left lane and backing up traffic it has an out of state plate. No matter where traveling I tend to stay in the right lane driving my 58 to 65 mph. Personally, when traffic is entering I disengage cruise control and slow down or speed up to allow the merging vehicles to enter the traffic flow. To me maintaining my cruising speed and waiting for the driver of the merging car to finally see me to speed up or slow down doesn't work and isn't very safe. Seems courteous to let them in and not "fight for space" at highway speeds. There are a few towns in CA with highway signs that say "through traffic use left lane" - I-5 in Redding for one.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I too am guilty of driving in the left lane when the right lane is really rough and the traffic is light. I do constantly check my rearview mirror and move to the right lane when I see vehicles coming up behind me in the left lane.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
They are allowing trucks on the road that weight as much as two hundred thousand pounds. (yes i said 200,000 pounds) they are destroying our interstates. That is why so many people stay out of the truck lanes.
i don't drive in the left lane because i am too slow (70). I don't agree with it , but i do see why they do it.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
When I drive the left lane it is because it is safer! No one doing the terrible job of merging into the traffic. No one slowing in the traffic in anticipation of exiting. Only one lane to worry about at my side as few people are going to be using the shoulder to the left I am able to be just that small amount more relaxed and focus my attention on only my lane and the one to my right. When I do this I am usually doing the speed limit or even slightly above. If you want to speed, don't expect me to help you out and give you free access to your own lane! If I am slowing several behind me I will move! Otherwise move over and go around as traffic allows! When traffic is 70 MPH and bumper to bumper and you leave a safer stopping distance between you and the next car, todays drivers always fill that space! I will take every precaution I can! The left lane works!
Old 08-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #34

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
I thought only Californians did that. Drives me nuts. It's truly rude.. but they are oblivious to the rules. A friend told me many years ago that when you are in AK.. ya don't do that or risk a citation. Try it on the Autobahn in Deutschland.
What this country needs is a good "rechtsfahren" law like the Germans have. The polizei can catch you no matter what you drive, they drive Porsches!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #35

The justification for the truck restrictions is that they impede traffic and have more difficulty stopping. The first one might be true, although not generally so much, and most of them have enough sense to get over. The second is definitely true...so why put them in the lanes most likely to need stopping?

Also, a number of states have a split speed limit for trucks. CA is the worst of them. Ever seen what a car doing 75 looks like after it's hit a truck doing 55? And here's the scary part...his accident's not over, because he's STILL going 55. CA is one of the few states where the car/truck fatality rate has risen in recent years, I understand. Most truckers blame the silly speed limit law.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
What this country needs is a good "rechtsfahren" law like the Germans have. The polizei can catch you no matter what you drive, they drive Porsches!
Richard,
I tend to agree but have reservations on whether it would work in this country. Riding in the left lane, 'at the speed limit', shouldn't be a problem, but it IS. It is because MOST folks feel it is their GOD Given Right, to speed!

I like Riding on the left because of the Most reasons stated so far, the poor condition of the RIGHT lane. But even then, only when I can do at least the speed limit. I feel the law encourages speeding by forcing me to the right only to let the 'speeders' rush on by,... so they can pull in front of me and BRAKE, to make the exit.

When traveling a three lane road, (in one direction) I travel mostly on the middle lane. That way I miss the lazy mergers and those that want to speed, can.
michigancamper
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
WOW, as I read all of the post, that most of you are left laners. We have traveled back and forth across this Great Country of ours and I agree with most of what has been posted, that our roads are in bad shape in a lot of this country.
What concerns I have is, how save is it to be going 5, 10 or 15 MPH over the posted speed limit with RV's that for the most part were made for being parked in a camp ground some where.
As much as I would like to say 70-80 mph will not damage a RV I just can't. A few people have stated "I don't drive in the right lane in this State because it gets petty bad that the RV feels like it could fall apart." Hit a pot hole doing 70-80 mph and guess what is happening to your RV.
I spoke with a engineer from a Major Motor Home Company and he said MOST RV's are not made for what WE do to them, we drive them down the road to fast, we take them over some very uneven unpaved roads and we use them more than they were designed for.
The last one got me. I asked him what do you mean by that. His response was they design RV to be used 6-8 weeks per year.
I travel in the right lane and travel 58-62 mph and put up with the folks that do not know how to get on or off the highways.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
WOW, as I read all of the post, that most of you are left laners. We have traveled back and forth across this Great Country of ours and I agree with most of what has been posted, that our roads are in bad shape in a lot of this country.
What concerns I have is, how save is it to be going 5, 10 or 15 MPH over the posted speed limit with RV's that for the most part were made for being parked in a camp ground some where.
As much as I would like to say 70-80 mph will not damage a RV I just can't. A few people have stated "I don't drive in the right lane in this State because it gets petty bad that the RV feels like it could fall apart." Hit a pot hole doing 70-80 mph and guess what is happening to your RV.
I spoke with a engineer from a Major Motor Home Company and he said MOST RV's are not made for what WE do to them, we drive them down the road to fast, we take them over some very uneven unpaved roads and we use them more than they were designed for.
The last one got me. I asked him what do you mean by that. His response was they design RV to be used 6-8 weeks per year.
I travel in the right lane and travel 58-62 mph and put up with the folks that do not know how to get on or off the highways.
Scary,
Isn't it?
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #39

To clairify - in Colorado the left lane is for passing only when the speed limit is 65 of more.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #40

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
put up with the folks that do not know how to get on or off the highways.
Yea, I tend to put up with people that have no clue. I usually do not move over from the right lane expecpt for expecptions. I have been doing that forever. You know, Dad told me to...He said right lane gives you more room to escape. I have escaped a few times to the right so I believe it is correct except in the Texas Hill Country where being in the middle at night means you have more space to dodge the deer in the road.....................I have always tried to drive from point A to B being comfortable and safe. What is the hurry. Thoreau at Walden Pond? Chill everyone. The trip is the point in life, not the destination...............ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
In the RV, if I have 3 lanes to choose, I'll take the middle, only 2, the right.
I've only rarely been driven left by bad roads, and it bothers me. The left lane is the passing lane, I (and you) should only be there while actually passing someone.

"Bad mergers" bother me. I"ll move over for them if I can, otherwise They get the air horns.

In the car... I'll drive as fast as I want to. Those who feel they can own the left lane cause it's their God given right to get in the way of speeders had best just move over.

Yes, we have a "keep right except to pass" law in Illinois.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #42

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
They are allowing trucks on the road that weight as much as two hundred thousand pounds. (yes i said 200,000 pounds) they are destroying our interstates...
It's not so much the weight of the rigs as it is the number of them (80k is usually the max allowed).

There are limits to how much weight can be put on each tire. Even on loads as heavy as that, there are so many wheels, each wheel is putting little, if any, more weight on the road than the wheels of a conventional 18 wheeler maxed out at 80,000 lb. Most loads that size also are limited to slower speeds. I've supervised the loading and unloading of substation transformers onto lowboys that had three rear axles with eight wheels per axle, a front dolly with three more eight wheeled axles, and a tractor with the usual twin screws and a steering axle. That's a total of 48 wheels taking the majority of the weight with a smaller portion transferred to the tractor to give it traction. I've seen rigs with front and rear dollies with up to six eight wheeled axles each and the bed bridging the dollies.

Now bridges are a whole 'nuther story.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote