Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Leg Cramps

When I bought my new 2015 Minnie Winnie, I was overjoyed that it came with a nice linoleum floor. For one, it is easier to clean (I had a MH with a carpet and it was a nuisance to keep clean with kids and dog). For another, the linoleum floor helps to get rid of leg cramps when they occur.

My late father taught me a trick. When a leg cramp hits (usually when I am sleeping), put your cramped leg's bare foot on floor's cold surface and the cramp immediately subsides and goes away. Not having to contend with a carpet is a big help.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tip!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I haven't heard that one before. I occasionally get leg cramps so will have to try that the next time.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocacher View Post
I haven't heard that one before. I occasionally get leg cramps so will have to try that the next time.
I had two of them this week and it works!

One time, I was in a hotel room in Tokyo and one hit. I couldn't get out of bed as it was lower to the ground than usual beds, plus I was in pain. So I put my bare foot on the cold wall and it worked.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Old 04-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've never heard of doing this. I'll have to remember it. The hotel room I had in Ota City north of Tokyo, my feet stuck off the end of the bed in the window opening. I guess I would have just stuck my foot on the window.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Commercial Member

I found that when I stretch my legs while sleeping that is when i'll get a cramp in that leg. So....I stopped stretching my legs while in bed and guess what? No cramps at all since I started the new routine!
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:58 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
The cold floor trick doesn't work for me. I have to walk it out. If the cramps persist, a little salt and a lot of water helps. If I've had a good workout during the day, sugar free PowerAde Zero with a little salt added gets the cramping under control; sometimes it can even prevent them.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
I found that when I stretch my legs while sleeping that is when i'll get a cramp in that leg. So....I stopped stretching my legs while in bed and guess what? No cramps at all since I started the new routine!
I have the same problem occasionally. Not stretching in bed does help.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Magnesium and calcium took care of mine mostly. I still need a few days of Gatorade occasionally.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Magnesium and calcium took care of mine mostly. I still need a few days of Gatorade occasionally.
Ditto....most folks don't hear their body calling out for more magnesium. Tums work in a pinch too. But pay attention...if you are getting leg cramps with frequency...look into supplementing your magnesium.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting.. What happens when you get a leg cramp half way up a 20 foot ladder? (Been there, Done that, Made it to the ground safely).
Old 04-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Interesting.. What happens when you get a leg cramp half way up a 20 foot ladder? (Been there, Done that, Made it to the ground safely).
Yowza! What a horrible place to get one! So glad you got down safe...but man...when muscles cramp or spasm...they only know on or off and I just can't imagine how painful that was to come down!
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Ditto....most folks don't hear their body calling out for more magnesium. Tums work in a pinch too. But pay attention...if you are getting leg cramps with frequency...look into supplementing your magnesium.
Thanks for the info! While my remedy is to kill the pain when one hits, I was wondering what to do to prevent them from happening.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #14

I used to suffer from severe leg cramps, but only when I was sleeping in the MH. I often go to the desert for motorcycle racing, so I wondered if it might have something to do with low humidity, or maybe I wasn't drinking enough water, etc. I would drink extra water, eat bananas, etc., nothing worked. Then during one outing, I decided to sleep on the foldout sofa. Slept like a baby with no leg cramps! After a couple of more outings, I was finally able to figure out that the pillow top bed was causing my leg cramps. Since I'm tall and we had a short RV mattress, my feet would often hang off the edge of the bed and the contour of the pillow top would put enough pressure on my calf to cause the leg cramps. When it came time for a new MH, part of the requirements was a full 80" long mattress. I haven't had leg cramps since.