Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #127
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
I use to tow four down but about 6 years ago started to trailer. I wish I would have done it earlier personally. JMHO a lot less wear on the Jeep. Yes those are big tires, what size do you think they are?
42?
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
42?
Yup, good guess or you knew? LOL

Let me expand on my reasom for trailering. I did tow my Jeep for years four down and with a stock or some what modified is fine.

But even when I towed my wife's slightly modified Jeep I didn't like the wear and tear that was put on it. Lift kits are not designed with towing in mind and tear wear for a 33' or 35" tire verses the cost got me to trailering. I don't know of any aftermarket parts maker that takes into account towing when the design the parts?

I also like the fact that I can back up for as long as I want to with the trailer.

JMHO here! What ever works for you is great!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #129

Here is my new to me 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3016763994.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	57221  
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #130

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
Just got mine.
Missed your post...great looking Freedom. When we were looking for ours, I wanted the silver w/black top...would have matched the RV nicely. I'm having a bad case of engine envy and want your non locking steering. Enjoy the new ride...can't think of a better toad for those roads less traveled.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post
Here is my new to me 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara:
Mine is a 08 JK, X Unlimited. It does trails and off reading with ease. Its all stock and toes really easily but I do have to deal with the locking steering wheel, but its not that much of a big deal.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Mine is a 08 JK, X Unlimited. It does trails and off reading with ease. Its all stock and toes really easily but I do have to deal with the locking steering wheel, but its not that much of a big deal. Cheers !!!
I bought mine to tow 4 down. Thought I didn't have to worry about locks. What do you have to do to deal with it?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #133

Quote:
Mine is a 08 JK, X Unlimited. It does trails and off reading with ease. Its all stock and toes really easily but I do have to deal with the locking steering wheel, but its not that much of a big deal. Cheers !!!
Bought mine for 4 down towing. What do I have to do about the lock? Didn't think i had to mess with that.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #134

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is my LJ in Canyonlands NP on The Shafer trail
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #135

Quote:

Bought mine for 4 down towing. What do I have to do about the lock? Didn't think i had to mess with that.
If you received an owners manual with your Jeep its all in there about towing. But I installed an inexpensive battery disconnect on the negative side of my battery. Once I'm hooked up and before I plug in my power from the coach 4-pin flat plug, I just unhook the blade switch and I'm done. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes and I'm done. You don't have to worry about stone chips cause your Jeep sits high enough to not be an issue.

Cheers !!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #136

Quote:

Oh once you unhook the battery make sure the key is in the account position and lock the doors and you are ready to go
Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #137

Quote:

Oh once you unhook the battery make sure the key is in the account position and lock the doors and you are ready to go
Acc position ...... I really hate spell checker
Old 03-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #138
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
Yup, good guess or you knew? LOL

Let me expand on my reasom for trailering. I did tow my Jeep for years four down and with a stock or some what modified is fine.

But even when I towed my wife's slightly modified Jeep I didn't like the wear and tear that was put on it. Lift kits are not designed with towing in mind and tear wear for a 33' or 35" tire verses the cost got me to trailering. I don't know of any aftermarket parts maker that takes into account towing when the design the parts?

I also like the fact that I can back up for as long as I want to with the trailer.

JMHO here! What ever works for you is great!

Just a guess, I have 31's know they were a lot larger than that, and they did not look like 45's

I also trailer, should have it in the trailer this weekend, will take pictures.
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
All '07 Wranglers have the steering wheel lock, as do SOME '08s. They made a mid-year change sometime in 08. Anything later has no steering wheel lock.

As yours is an 08 you'll have to check. Can you turn the wheel with the key out of the ignition? If so you're good to go, if not, you'll need to make some accommodations as mentioned above.

With our '07 I had a "dummy key" made. It would turn the ignition switch, but without the chip the Jeep would not run for more than a couple of seconds. You can have one made for 5 to $10. I also put a blade switch on the negative battery terminal, also a cheep modification, maybe $10. By disconnecting the battery I had zero worries about draining the battery while the Jeep was under tow (alternately, you can hunt down and pull a fuse).

At the time I initially set ours up to be towed I was using one of the "box on the floor" auxiliary brake systems. To power it I rewired one of the Jeeps 12v receptacles so it was powered through the motorhome harness. Later I abandoned that PITA box and went with the Air Force One.

Again, if you do not have a steering lock, just put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park if an automatic, or in a forward gear if a stick. Pull out the key, lock the doors and away you go.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Here is my LJ in Canyonlands NP on The Shafer trail
Nice LJ. My favorite Jeep!