Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #15

I don't know about you lot (English Expression), but I am about to start camping in my driveway. I can run videos about Mobile Bay and all the wildlife. If it gets too hot in the RV,we can always run into the house and turn on the air...............But I would rather be on Mobile Bay or in the Smokies........

01 Winnebago Journey DL 36ft w/Cat 330
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #16

Don't get me wrong on my last post, I am going to the Smokies if it breaks the Bank of England this fall. Since my Wife is from England, I can use the phrase........Fuel may be $4.+ a gallon,but this may be my last trip to the Smokies, so I am going to make the most of it. My home is in NC, and I have always loved the Smokies. Sue me................you cannot beat the VIEWS. Guess it is time to promate the RV parks in NC., try Maggie Valley, NC, just off I-40 and Hwy 286, the place where dreams are made. I was born in Gastonia, but as far as I am concered, the Smokies are my home. If you don't like it BILL me!!!!!!!!!!!! But if you do not like the Smokies, there has got to be something wrong, and you need to seek medical treatment imediately...................

01 Winnebago Journey DL 36ft w/Cat 330
Old 05-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I agree with apackof2, we need to drill in Alaska, off the west coast of the US, and in the Gulf of Mexico and anywhere else oil can be found.

Additionally, we need to build 3 or 4 more refineries.

If we would have done that ten years ago when we had the chance, we would not be in our current situation.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:16 AM   #18

I do believe that we need to develop alternative energy sources however right now there is none that come close to our energy needs, no biofuel, no solar, no windpower
There is great cost comparsion chart of oil to alternative fuels sources here Crunching the Numbers on Alternative Fuels

Another thing being over looked is the production and costs of alternative.
It takes 600 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of Ethanol.

For now and the immediate future we need Oil

And I will add that there need to be safeguards to ensure that the oil is sold here instead of on world markets to the highest bidder and then shipped to China, Europe, etc.

And when are you getting an RV?

I have no idea. I just listed my home again, for the 2nd year trying to sell it without losing my shirt. However I now consider this a minor miracle. Michigan HAS been in a one state recession for several years

When I sell it, I can buy my rig and get on the road until then its just dream

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by apackof2:
I don't. That's not the point.

The market (in some regards public policy here)sets the price and the price is higher because demand is high and the product availibity is low.

We can't do anything about demand but we can do something about supply.

And we need to because not only will global demands increase but our own as well
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I misinterpreted your post as meaning to drill immediately to bring oil pricing down. Sorry.

Drilling now and capping the wells for future use, when a shortage develops, may be good policy for the US. But what oil company is going to drill now and pump later. Large investment now with returns far off in the future. Drilling now to reduce gas pricing encourages more oil usage, is counterproductive to the security of the US and postpones progress toward the real solution to the oil problems and that is developing alternative ways of fueling cars.

Better to just give everyone a tax rebate (coming soon to a mailbox near you) to help ease the pain at the pump.

And when are you getting an RV?

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 AM   #19

The reason behind all this oil situation is......
No ,No, I wasn't going to tell.............
Please, don't shoot........
No, no, BANG, ugh.

Now they'll never find out that......................No, no, not you too. Ugh.

Just had to break up the boredom of reading the same things over and over and over..........

Please continue................
Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 AM   #20

When the day comes that we see only three cars in front of WalMart and Home Depot or any other large retailer, we will see the price of fuel drop.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
I read in a earlier post about loading train from a meat packing plant, that doesn't happen much anymore as more companies go to JIT ( Just in time) freight, it saves them warehouse space and costs. Stores no longer have back rooms with stock in them. Go to any Wal Mart in the middle of the night and you will see them stocking shelves with product that was brought from a distribution center that day. My wife and and I regularly make the run from California to New York in 48 hrs and that is what the customer expects, not 2 or 3 weeks that it takes a train to get there. Our fresh produce is grown on the west coast or Mexico and loaded on our trailer in California on Friday, unloaded Sunday night in New York and on the store shelves Monday morning. The oil companies know that we are at there mercy with diesel fuel that is why it is over $4 a gallon and going up. We are all paying for it, we charge a fuel surcharge to our customer so we can stay in business, and they just pass it along to their customer. We do our best to save fuel. We have a new aerodynamic truck(2008 Frieghtliner Cascadia) that gets 7+ MPG which is a far cry from what we used to get with the classic American truck. When will it end? Who knows I don't have the answers. More fuel taxes? We'll just pass them to our customer. It is going to take a major shift in the way Americans live to make a difference.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
What makes people think that if the US does drill more oil wells that the production will be mostly for US consumption? I have a feeling that the greedy (homless children ) will sell it to china or india for huge profits.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 05-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Warning.. rant!
Ahhhh Americans. Aren't we a lot? We complain about the high price of fuel (Europe has been paying more than we NOW pay for many years) and we still gun away from stops and think nothing of using the large vehicle to run to the store for milk.

Our cities are not built in a compact style like Europe and we typically have poor or non-existent public transportation.

My Dad worked for Shell Oil all of his life and he told me 40 years ago that oil was finite and the day was coming when the cheap oil will be gone. Time has come to stop blaming everyone and look inwards. We all waste fuel. Me too. It's been a good run, but reality always wins in the end.

The thing to do is conserve, be smart, plan your trips and practice good economy. Just drilling for harder to get oil will not bring the prices down to where we want it. Cheap oil is gone. Even if Saudi can produce it for pennies, the world situation will not allow it to be delivered for pennies.

Lets stop the stop-light grand prix. You can save a lot by simply being more responsible. It's not just gasoline either. Look around.. priced milk lately?

This is going to be painful for a lot of us. Adjust your lifestyle, assess you priorities and try to enjoy what we have. Personally, I have taken a more laid-back approach to my driving. Egg under the pedal type of thing. My wife and I plan out shopping so we do it all in one loop. We resist the temptation to dash off whenever we feel the need. It's actually quite amazing what that does for our fuel consumption.

I drive my MH in the slow lane and keep it under 65MPH. Brought my mileage up to 9.1 and I think there is more to be had.

Joe
Old 05-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:
What makes people think that if the US does drill more oil wells that the production will be mostly for US consumption? I have a feeling that the greedy (homless children ) will sell it to china or india for huge profits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oil is priced world wide in US$ currently at ~$125 a barrel. So.....everyone pays the same. Doesn't make any difference which country buys it.

-Tom

Old 05-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I do believe Tom is correct. The difference between the US and Europe is that they HEAVILY tax each gallon...err..liter. They prolly have low income taxes so they gotta make it up somewhere
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 05-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #26

According to Financial Times and CNN 30 to 60% of the current cost of a barrel of oil is speculation by individuals that neither produce or use the product.Smart money isn't paying $125.00 a barrel.

Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Old 05-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #27

I contacted my Congressman about a year ago asking him why we were selling oil from Alaska to nations on the Pacific rim. He seemed to know nothing about it and I received a call from his office ASKING ME questions. I looked up some answers on the internet and answered questions his office could not answer. Really kind of scared me.

We went through this in the seventies until the oil companies were allowed to drill in Alaska. Now we ship that oil overseas. Must be an American thing!
Old 05-22-2008, 02:49 AM   #28

We hear little about France, but they are one, if not the highest taxed peoples.

Look at what they have to pay and compare it to the U.S..

France is for the French and there are no better people in the world, THEY SAY.

So, because they are the best, they must pay for that privlege, and PAY they do.

They have big noses because that is where they pay through.
(Pay through the nose) for those people living in Rio Linda.

We are one of the luckier ones I think.