Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2008, 03:42 AM   #57
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just a reminder that comments directed at each other are not permitted.

Please keep the discussion on the topic and not each other.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Anyone intrested in the real cause of high oil prices needs to get on UTube and watch the series of videos called THE ENERGY NON CRISIS, by Lindsay Williams, who was a missionary to the oilfield workers in the 70s and 80s.

You will go ballistic! The villians are not the Arabs, nor the oil companies. The villians are our Congress, The World Bank, and the IMF. We're being played like a monkey playing a music box!

We have more oil here than in Saudi Arabia times two at least and we're not allowed to use it!

The reason the oil companies are not drilling on land that they now have current leases to, is that there is not enough oil on that land where the leases are to make it worth the investment.

In ANWR, there is a capped oil well as I write this on a place called Gull Island. That pool of oil is 8700 feet underground and is approximately 1200 feet deep and 400 square miles in size. It will produce oil at 1600 psi artesian pressure for approximately 40 years and 2 million barrels a day, but our caring Congress has placed it off limits and classified. We could be using that oil in less than a year, not to mention the natural gas that comes out with the oil, if we were only allowed to pipe it up.

The Gull Island is only one of the multiple pools of oil in ANWR that are as big, or bigger. We have enough known natural gas reserves to last approximately 1200 years at current rate, and enough known oil reserves in the US to last us approximately 200 years. By then, we should be able to develop something else, but now we have enough oil to sustain us if our Congress would just get out of the way.

Personally, I don't buy into the argument that oil is a finite resource. Wells in Texas that were once dry are now producing oil again. Some scientists believe the earth's core is constantly producing oil, and will continue to do so for more years than we care to think about.

In the late 30's they thought we only had enough oil to last approximately 12 years, then in the 50's they thought we would run out in the 70s, and in the 70's they thought we would be running out in the 90s. Now, the known oil reserves are bigger than ever. Don't buy into the belief we are at or past Peak Oil. We will not reach that in our lifetimes, if ever.

We'd better wake up and think about what is the most important. The environmentalist movement, or our children and grandchildren's future standard of living.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #59

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have hundreds of capped wells all over the United States that we can open tomorrow and have more oil flow than comes out of saudi any day of the week. Problem???? We have no place I say again no place to refine it. We shipped 40 percent of our oil to other countries now for refining. So the problem is your friendly enviromentalist and liberal who say not in my back yard.
I have a question to you all, how often have you said that about some factory or big business including oil refineries, power plants, shopping malls and so on???

I have voted now to nuclear power once and wish now I had not of.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
I have to ask the stupid question (and I haven't read the entire thread), but who or what is ANWR? By the way, you sound very similar to my british husband, retired RAF (Royal Air Force) Squadron Leader.

edited to say, I just googled and got my answer. Here's a link...

ANWR

Brenda, of...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #61

Workhorse Chassis Owner
never mind

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 07-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:
I do believe Tom is correct. The difference between the US and Europe is that they HEAVILY tax each gallon...err..liter. They prolly have low income taxes so they gotta make it up somewhere </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Need to fill you in on income taxes in Denmark (part of Europe). I am in construction (building) and I pay around 50% income tax. On top of this we pay 25% sales tax on everything. This goes for food, books, clothes - everything.

Want to pay lots of tax - come to Denmark.

Having said this, our minimum wages is around $20. This must be taken into account.

For regular gas we pay today $9.6 per gallon.

The up side of all of this is, for example, that healthcare is "free" (paid for via taxes). Education is "free" - if you want to be a doctor and have the talent to be one, your education is paid for via taxes.

Social benefits are really high compared to the US, but sometimes I gets this feeling: We are all in the same boat, but why am I the only one rowing .

Old 07-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Need to fill you in on income taxes in Denmark (part of Europe). I am in construction (building) and I pay around 50% income tax. On top of this we pay 25% sales tax on everything. This goes for food, books, clothes - everything.

Want to pay lots of tax - come to Denmark.

Having said this, our minimum wages is around $20. This must be taken into account. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK. If I understand correctly, you pay 50% income taxes and 25% sales tax, for a total of 75% tax on each person. Hmmmm, that would make your $20 minimum wage actually $5 after taxes. So that is 25% of your pay to purchase gas, clothes, housing, food, etc.

If the government can control your healthcare and purchasing power, they have you.

I would much rather provide my own health care and my own children's education. With competition, we could do that on 1/3 or less than what the government can, and we would have a choice of service providers.

It wasn't until the governments got involved with health care that it became so expensive.

Sadly, our country is following in the footsteps of Europe.

My $.02
Old 07-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #64

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Additionally, every dollar sent to the government in the US translates to $0.30 of good use. 70% of every TAX dollar is wasted ... WASTED by burocratic inefficiency.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gee, just what I've always wanted, someone real smart like Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid to do my thinking for me. Wow! Where do I send the $2 I have left?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #66

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My response to the Reid's and Pelousy's is, "Well, drilling our own oil may not work, BUT LET'S TRY ANYWAY. If it doesn't, we can quit"!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:48 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Terms of Service prohibit political discussions on the forum. This thread has run it course and is starting to wander from the original post so it is being closed.

Ken