Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Life Shattering Events! Nah, Just Correlle Dish Shattering!

This morning, our third Correlle plate shattered. Let me tell you, when these dishes shatter, they do so in extreme manner. Shards of glass everywhere, from large to teeny tiny! This time, the drop was less than 18"! I've had these dishes for a very long time (10 years or longer). Is anyone else having shattering experiences with their Correlle dishes? Or is this just my subconscious trying to justify buying new dishes?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Community Administrator

They will do that but thankfully not that often . I've had one or two shatter like that.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, we have had the same experience and it is frightening, one of the shard cut straight through a tablecloth that was nearby.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I've not experienced the shattering yet, but I haven't tried dropping them from various heights...
Ours have served us well for about 7 tears, at least.
I wonder if repeated microwave use might weaken the material?
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

2 so far

dropped them on a cement patio, schrapnel everywhere.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Had a bowl that broke in two pieces horizontally in the 360 degree arc. Funniest thing I have seen Correlle do
Old 08-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Soft floors help in preservation of Corelle in our motorhome. Twelve years and counting, same set of Corelle. The tile floor in the kitchen in our home......well, the pieces haven't held up nearly as well.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post

I wonder if repeated microwave use might weaken the material?
Bingo!! I think so too.

But ... NO ... the "experts" who work in the ceramic industry say. However the method for case hardening steel, and tempering glass is flash heating the material surfaces. That creates a differential hardness, and yes, stress. The side windows in vehicles are tempered, and shatter into little cubes. If the tempering process is done unevenly, say as may be the case of a dish of food on a ceramic plate in the microwave, then random stress may develop. Meaning ... potential breakage lines.

Well that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When my wife was around she was all about plastic cause it does not break (I won't bother telling you what it does do, but suffice to say I'd rather have Corelle)

I've found Corelle very hard to break.. In fact I can not remember if I've ever broken one.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
DW has EXPLOED 2 dishes so far dropping them on the tile floor of the MH. Told her she needed to go and trade in her Wal Mart Chinese made hands for a set made in the US.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #11

Corelle made in the last 20 years shatters, we opened the door to our 5er and found the cabinet door containing the Corelleware opened and everything fell out, onto the granite counter.
After the mess was swept up and vacuumed up, I used an entire roll of duck tape trying to pickup any remaining shards. We never did walk barefoot on that carpeting again though.
DW then went garage sale-ing until she found an old set made 30-40 years ago, it's still traveling with us_intact. I guess it fits us, an old pattern for old people.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #12

That's interesting. Do you think the older stuff is a bit thicker?
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #13
IC2

We have been adding to our 2 sets of Corelle (home and 5er) for over 20 years - heck, I it's been our good chinaware when we get 'invaded' by grandchildren. I can recall only one ever 'exploding' when I did a major fumble. In fact my DW brought 4 more bowls home yesterday from a local Revere/Corelle (Corningware) shop that had a sale and are going in the 5er today after a wash.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #14
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife purchased a set of correlle and I had a panic stop. the hole set when on the floor. My wife who always ties the doors shut said I didn't remind her to do so. My dear wife swept up the mess put them in a bag took them back to Walmart. They were only a few weeks old and Walmart replaced them.

Tags
dish, vent