Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #1

Line-X or Rhino lining on MH roof?

Anyone have any experience with this? Have a 2000 Mountain Aire DP. There are no current roof issues but was hearing about this and it sounded like a winner. Anyone have this done to their MH? What was your experience? What was the cost? I am 40' long. Thanks for any info.
Baril91011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #2

May work good, but I would be sure to get a smoother finish. The rough surface would hold a lot of dirt on a roof.

No personal experience with that, I would just go talk to a few bedliner application companies and see what they say. I do know they need a real clean surface for best adhesion. I bet cost is at least $1000 and probably higher since you have to tape off and cover a lot of area and all the roof protrusions.

Black is common for bedliners and would be very hot on a MH and subsequently inside. Go for a lighter color, some bedliners do color matching.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #3

There's a lot of interest in this subject. You can now get it in colors. White I believe is best for the roof. I'm not sure I would try a bed liner place, but one who does RV roofs. Do a google search for LineX RV roofs. I'm probably going to have it done this winter in Fl. I'm also checking into having it done to the front of our Dutch Star because I've seen the same color used that I would need on another coach. Don't want a bra, and have removed the Diamond Shield. Want something on the front that's easy to clean. You can also do a search here for spray on roofs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #4

The Rhino product is called Eco-Coat. It is not the same as the bed liner material. The last that I read was that there is only one color, silver, for UV protection. They can paint the edges of the roofline to blend in with the sides.
Do a Google search for Rhino Eco-Coat for more information. There is one RV manufacturer, ExcelRV, that has that roof system as a standard. As I understand there may be a lifetime warranty but it is offered only by the applicator and not warranted by Rhino although there has been pressure put on Rhino to offer the manufactures warranty.

I would make sure the applicator has RV experience. The product has been around for about 10 years so it should have a track record as to how it lasts. Ask for references if in doubt. I have heard of a RV repair shop in Florida that applies the roof and there is probably more than one with all customer base down there. Also a number of them in California (and all between).

I don't know what Line-X calls their product but I'm sure it would be similar to Rhinos product. Either product looks like the way to go for roof replacement and repair. A little more expensive than a normal rubber roof replacement but if you intend to keep your vehicle for a while it may be worth it.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Seems like there would be four possible disadvantages...black is hot, heavy reduces cargo capacity, rough increases drag from wind and would be hard to clean and cost. Also, the newer roofs on MHs are fiberglass, not rubber.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #6

If you have a fiberglass roof there should be no need to replace it. The material for a RV roof is not black, in the case of Rhino Eco-Coat it is silver for UV protection to reflect the light. It is not the same material as a bed liner. Spray-in bed liners are a fairly heavy application to absorb the abuse. The surface is relatively smooth and be no heavier than the roof it replaces.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Seems like there would be four possible disadvantages...black is hot, heavy reduces cargo capacity, rough increases drag from wind and would be hard to clean and cost. Also, the newer roofs on MHs are fiberglass, not rubber.
It comes in any color.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:08 AM   #8

There'a aslo www.rvroof.com in Fl. who does something similiar.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
bap

never andi meen never use flex seal to try and patch a rubber roof,,,we tried it on a mh with rubber roof,,and where it touched the rubber it just peeled it back making even a bigger spot...i even talked to the company and they said that it would work great,,,i followed all the dierctions with awfull results,,,,when i called them back they wouldnt even stand by there product...
i dont like bashing anyone or company but i dont want this to happen to any of you..
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
... and be no heavier than the roof it replaces.
I would find it hard to believe that any type of Rhino coating would be lighter than a rubber membrane (which is what the OP's unit has.)

If your roof (regardless of material) is in otherwise good condition then I don't know why you'd want to mess with it. But when the times comes for a replacement then I'd certainly consider one of the modern coatings over a rubber roof... I had my last one of those a while ago.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof