Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2017, 12:41 AM   #1

Looking For Country Airports To Stay At

I'm currently in Seattle, WA and heading to Myrtle Beach, SC. I like small country airports to hang out at (either controlled or uncontrolled fields) and would like to find campgrounds on the property or very nearby to stay at as I travel cross-country. Suggestions? Thank you!
jumper777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper777 View Post
I'm currently in Seattle, WA and heading to Myrtle Beach, SC. I like small country airports to hang out at (either controlled or uncontrolled fields) and would like to find campgrounds on the property or very nearby to stay at as I travel cross-country. Suggestions? Thank you!
This is an interesting post. Do many small airports have camping available? Never thought about these. In general, I would think it would relatively easy to Google airports, mark those along the route on a map, and then find campgrounds nearby. But to find airports with campgrounds??????? I don't know. Do they exist?

Inquiring minds need to know. Keep us posted.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
There are many towns promoting themselves and their airports by having fly-in's. They seem to encourage everyone including camper people to show up and camp right on the airport grounds.

One airport that is fun is Hector MN fly-in. September 17, 2017

Here's Minnesota's list with contact info. http:// Aviation: Minnesota Department of Transportation
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

We just came back from a 10,000 mile trip from Reno, to the east coast and back. In our travels we stayed at a small park in Huntington, West Virginia, that was right on a small airport. We were told that the airport was used mainly for skydivers. It was called Robert Newlon. The lawns needed to be mowed but it wasn't too bad. The Ohio River was just across the landing strip.
hgtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
WDW

We saw a A with an airplane "towed" on an open trailer with the wings stored. Interesting sight, but a bit challenging to make a Walmart run with it....
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgtyd View Post
We just came back from a 10,000 mile trip from Reno, to the east coast and back. In our travels we stayed at a small park in Huntington, West Virginia, that was right on a small airport. We were told that the airport was used mainly for skydivers. It was called Robert Newlon. The lawns needed to be mowed but it wasn't too bad. The Ohio River was just across the landing strip.
Now you are into my territory! That airstrip is indeed right near the Ohio River. We used to land there in small planes or helicopters. Depending on how you crossed the Ohio River you probably crossed over a bridge I had a hand in designing or building or rebuilding. Of course that was 25 years ago in another life, but I worked on every bridge crossing the Ohio from there to Cincinnati Oh.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #7

This handbook is the bible for corporate pilots. It has virtually every airport in the country that has a runway 3,000' long or longer, Ac-U-Kwik:

https://acukwik.com/
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
very interesting idea / post and thx for the acukwik link.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
This handbook is the bible for corporate pilots. It has virtually every airport in the country that has a runway 3,000' long or longer, Ac-U-Kwik:

https://acukwik.com/
Grab this link and change the oil in your Generator and I would guess you will be fine.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out Polson MT - small airport with resort /luxury campground to the west and more economical campground to the east.

HTH -

CC
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #11

Interesting post for sure. I have keys to land that used to be an old Army airfield. We fly our paramotors from there and camp often. It is now being used as ranch land, but there are still runways. A rare find that we are lucky to have access to.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #12

There is a busy small airport in Payson, Arizona. Really beautiful views!!!
There is free tent camping, for fly in guests only, though.
Also a restaurant with a great view of the landing strips. Really fun to eat while watching the small planes land and take off. We go there often.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:58 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
We like to boondock on small airports when we go fly our powered parachute... some places I know that will allow it if you contact first and seek permission are Iola, KS , Hanksville, UT, Hulett,airport at Devil's tower,
And St. Francis , KS. Granted, these are small airports without much action. Another Possibility would be Baugh Flight Park in the Joplin Area, and we haven't stayed there yet, but Hubby goes to a fly in there next weekend and is hoping they will allow him to boondock there.
The only one with a campground right next door to it is St. Francis , KS and we stayed in the campground which was free and had only water and a dump station if I recall. ( city park adjacent to airport)
Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #14

If you can an old copy of AOPA's guide from a pilot, many of the airports list "camping on field". They're aimed at pilots and tents, but I can't imagine they'd mind a road unit. That book lists every public landing strip in the country, including the many that are not paved or less than 3000'. It also lists the phone number, making it easy to call and ask. We've stayed at a few, without asking, and never had a problem.

Tags
air