Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
ah, but those kids are problem solvers.... they do know how to get what they want, they work their parents, coupons, and other people/situations very carefully to get what they want! They are not dumb...

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
MartySQ,

You make a good point. For sure we are not saying that these kids are not smart. Or that they don't have good potential. The system is just counterproductive to them getting there in the proper way.

The grading system in schools breeds average individuals. First of all they are not encouraged to produce the best they can. Then you show them if they put forth just a little effort they will get credit a D for a grade they are happy.

They've not had to work for much so far so why start now?? They live at home sometimes well into their working years. They have a car, (you can't make it in the US without one) cell phones, spending money room and board at home and don't have to do chores. Then a promise of free tuition for college.

Yes they get what they want but it's for their reason and not always for the good of others. Also by saying they get what the want is a nice way of saying that they manipulate others. Here's one story that I always told my students.

We would often talk about life and how they were going to make a living. I told them that they would probably never and I meant NEVER make enough $$$$. We have all looked back at our lives and remember when we first started. Man that upper salary range would give us all the $$$$ that we needed. Wrong!!! The more you make the more you spend.

Yes money is necessary to survive and pay the bills. Eventually $$$$$ will not be the main reason one goes to work. Well lets say this. If money is the only reason you go to work you are not very happy in your job. True work happiness is when you do your job to the best of your ability because it is the right thing to do and it makes you feel good.

When kids manipulate everybody around them to get what they want they will never achieve any sort of happiness. They will always be searching for the next high no matter how or where they get it. Part of the reason for today's drug culture. Rich young yuppies doing drugs because they don't know how to achieve true happiness.

TeJay

Old 05-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #45

Well Said TeJay....and as the issues escalate the parents don't want to accept any responsibility for their kids actions or lack of. Which ultimately leads to the kids sense of entitlement. Thanks to all those teachers out there who fill in the gap for lacking parents, at least giving some of those kids a chance to be productive in todays society.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #46

you guys are making the assumption that all the stupid people are kids.....not true by a long shot. Also....stupid has nothing to do with intelligence.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
What, exactly, is stupid? Someone who doesn't think like you? Could they be calling you stupid? Food for thought. Also, I thought tolerance came with the years because one finally realizes it takes all kinds to make this wonderful, beautiful, crazy world.
Inbreeding destroys the herd, so we can't be all alike.
Johnitis
Most everyone recognizes stupid when they see it.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #48

"Stupid is as stupid does". The motorist getting on to the interstate, expressway, you name it, and doesn't even bother to look to see where the traffic is. They expect me to move my rig out of their way. I don't think so.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
you guys are making the assumption that all the stupid people are kids.....not true by a long shot. Also....stupid has nothing to do with intelligence.
That's not true, by and far the biggest group of people who do stupid things, are adults, the problem is they are the role models for kids, or raising them. Unfortunately for most kids however they grew up they see that as "normal" and continue the cycle.There are still a lot of great kids out there, and they are our future. I still believe that a lot of the people who act "stupid" is just that an act so they can get away with doing the least, while still expecting the most out of every situation, just another way to describe "entitlement".
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #50

Thanks for all the replies.

It helps to know I'm not alone out there.

I am going to change the way I operate. I'm going to think 'how can this go wrong' and see if I can avoid it when dealing with people.

Let me give you an example of what happened recently.

I needed two tires for my Casita. I told the sales man I wanted to use one tire, that was still on the Casita, as the spare and pointed it out. I also said I wanted to disconnect the Casita from my pick up before they take off the 2 wheels.
I'm walking back from the hitch after everything is disconnected. Two people are jacking up the trailer by the axle! I tell them to stop and you should never jack up a trailer by the axles. They put it down, but they let the air out of both tires. This is not good for the internal beads of the wheel I wanted to use as the spare. I never thought they would start jacking up the trailer before I finished unhitching the trailer - they could not see me or the hitch when they started.

How will I handle something like this in the future? I think I will have to walk the guys through everything step by step and point out where to jack up the trailer before they do anything.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

It helps to know I'm not alone out there.

I am going to change the way I operate. I'm going to think 'how can this go wrong' and see if I can avoid it when dealing with people.

Let me give you an example of what happened recently.

I needed two tires for my Casita. I told the sales man I wanted to use one tire, that was still on the Casita, as the spare and pointed it out. I also said I wanted to disconnect the Casita from my pick up before they take off the 2 wheels.
I'm walking back from the hitch after everything is disconnected. Two people are jacking up the trailer by the axle! I tell them to stop and you should never jack up a trailer by the axles. They put it down, but they let the air out of both tires. This is not good for the internal beads of the wheel I wanted to use as the spare. I never thought they would start jacking up the trailer before I finished unhitching the trailer - they could not see me or the hitch when they started.

How will I handle something like this in the future? I think I will have to walk the guys through everything step by step and point out where to jack up the trailer before they do anything.
While I believe stupid is a growing epidemic, it is nothing new by any means. Maybe you are just now noticing. I witness stupid, selfish and inconsiderate almost everyday. However, if the above is all that set you off, you better sit down and put on your seatbelt. Your going to see A LOT more stupid than that out there.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #52

Generally speaking, what has changed from the 'past' is several things.

First, the USA has become more of a service industry economy. These are lower paying, more intransigent jobs then the manufacturing based economy. The people move more from job to job and the employer does minimal training. There may be little chance for advancement and the pay is low. All this means there is little incentive to deviate from what you are told to do.

As others have mentioned, there has been a change in education - less honesty about student abilities etc. Also, college is the new high school because the quality of a high school education has declined. Employers want a college education not always because a person needs what is taught in college but just because it is another filter.

As to dishonesty, that can be used to avoid conflict, an attempt to cover up a mistake by the employee or get out of work.

Another factor in all this might be that there are fewer 'regular customers' that someone at the store knows. When we go into a store, we are just another face. We do not know anyone in the store and they don't know us.

All this is the environment that enables the stupid and dishonest.

That is what we need to protect ourselves from.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #53

Spartan Chassis
Spot-on, Dexters!

We were discussing this very topic not days ago.

Just FYI, it's frustrating, even when you go into a situation with your eyes wide open. Case in point: Being told by various representatives within a dealership,
"We will do what it takes to address each issue you have with this coach....our service dept. is 'TOP NOTCH'...YADDA,YADDA,YADDA.

Even when the parts come IN, they call us to tell us they are now IN, and we need to contact them to bring it IN FOR REPAIR...
Do they have time to fix it? NO.
Did they return ANY of our calls in the week prior to answer any other questions we called about? NO. Did they return calls the week prior to THAT to schedule time for issues we've had from the start? NO.
We are working on week 3, and they have called us exactly ONCE. requesting we call them back.
It took us THREE DAYS to get ANYONE to even answer their damn phones at the dealership! No joke! Nobody was answering phones, everything was going to automatic voice machines.

I was just a lowly dog trainer for 27 years.
I would have been ASHAMED to be so callus and non responsive to my clients. If I had treated my customers the way we've been treated by some establishments, I would have RIGHTFULLY EXPECTED to lose a whole lot of clients AND money....if not lost my business altogether. No joke, I seriously wouldn't have DREAMED of treating my customers so shabby. Not in a billion years.
ETA: I guess this has little to do with 'stupid' people, rather more like lackadaisical business practices, and no understanding of business or personal integrity.
sharonlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #54

As I read through this thread, a thought occurs to me. Who spawned all these Stupid and Dishonest people?
Old 05-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #55

Personally... I blame Dr. Spock for all the problems we have today...

Thank God my parents didn't subscribe to all that mumbo-jumbo...

And... speaking as a parent trying to raise "the future generation" (I have 16, 14 & 13 yr olds)... lets just say... I think things are harder on both the kids and the parents now-a-days... However, surrounding yourself with good families/parents that subscribe to the same moral compass as you will go a LONG way..

Let me elaborate on TeJay's post...

I had parent teacher conferences... I was sitting with my son's Geometry teacher.. I was a bit upset, as my son had missing assignments (I REALLY hate missing assignments)... needless-to-say.. I wasn't too happy and was trying to convey the importance (in front of the teacher) to my son on the merits of turning in his homework... the teacher says "but he's getting an A in my class".. I about fell out of my chair... I got even more pissed.. I then tried to explain to BOTH of them (she was in her mid 20's) that it didn't matter what he was getting.. that he wasn't doing the work.. and in real life.. you have to do the work... I explained that in REAL LIFE, you don't get to not do something your told to do because you're either too lazy (my son sometimes) or that you just don't want to.. extremely frustrating...

Thankfully, when I was growing up we didn't have a direct link to the world, with a camera attached, in the palm of my hand... have a phone with social media is like having control of a 50K watt AM radio station back in my day... not sure if I would have made it out alive..

But at the end of the day.. there will always be "stupidness", "idiocy" and/or ignorance... and the only people to blame is parents.. If you're girls are worshiping a Kardashian or your son a super hero... you've done something seriously wrong...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #56

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Your response emphasizes exactly what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
There is no reason to delete this thread. If the discussion doesn't suit you, why not move on to another?

Tags
dish